300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabled Vets in Academy?

Do any academies have waivers for disabled vets who may have an injured back and can't do situps or pushups?

Originally posted by navy80 View Post
    Do any academies have waivers for disabled vets who may have an injured back and can't do situps or pushups?
    Law Enforcement is not the military.

You rarely get "waivers" for anything since all of the requirements for becoming a police officer is in state law.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You rarely get "waivers" for anything since all of the requirements for becoming a police officer is in state law.
      True. The flip side is some states have no state requirements. Colorado is one.

The problem there is you may be able to attend an academy, but then not meet DEPARTMENT standards... and every department will be different.

I had a spine fusion and became a Type I diabetic due to a LOD injury in the Army which forced my medical retirement.

I'm a sheriff's deputy and graduated from an academy here in Colorado.

I work for a department with fairly lax physical requirements, and attended an academy that frequently gets cadets over 50 years old... often firefighters becoming arson investigators or accountants becoming OIG investigators for various state agencies. I was the oldest in my class at 43 but generally wouldn't have been. Frankly, "do the best you can" was generally good enough.

That isn't the case with many academies and many agencies in this state, and in other states with more uniform requirements it may not have flown at all.

If your back is so bad that you physically CAN'T perform a pushup or situp, you probably can't wrestle around with a bad guy either. It took me over six years to get from the point I retired to the point I attended the academy.

You need to get to the point that you can muddle thru a physical training program, even if you don't excel. You need to be realistic about your abilities, limitations and the physical demands of this job.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Nope

Most of the requirements in academies are regulated by state law.....PT being one of them
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

You need to consider other options. If you can't do what is expected to just gain entry you probably won't be able to do other things that may save your life or another life later in the LE career. Many departments are strict about prior medical issues or injuries so they won't tote a huge medical bill because you can expect physical problems from just this job alone.
          Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

You've received five of the best replies to a question I've seen in some time. Each represents a reality you should consider. Past that, there's really not too much I can offer you. Read the replies a few times, then make a decisions. Good luck.

Comment

You're going to be put through a medical exam prior to being hired. You will be asked about any injuries and if they prevent/limit you from any full range of motion activities. I cant imagine a Dr clearing you as fit for duty based on what you told us. If the Dr doesn't clear you, the dept wont hire you. That applies to the psych as well. Generally the Drs will not disclose the reason why and will inform the agency you either passed or did not pass.

Comment

The ability to be physical when needed is about safety for yourself and the other officers you work with. Sometimes this job requires a violent and/or physical response..... We can't pull a waiver out to make the bad guy stop fighting....
                Everything rises or falls on leadership. Everything.
                drjayirvin.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies...

I know a vet who receives disability from the VA and is a state trooper. I was wondering if there were any academies/states out there that made an exception for disabled vets.

I'm a wrestler naturally with about five years BJJ experience so the safety aspect or fighting or my life isn't a problem. I can barely do 5 situps! lol...

Comment

If you can't do a sit-up or push-up, you are a liability and won't pass the PA. They don't waive it.
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. ..

I know a vet who receives disability from the VA and is a state trooper. I was wondering if there were any academies/states out there that made an exception for disabled vets.
                      There are MANY repeat MANY officers who receive VA disability pay......................it is not unusual at all. Those who are working with VA disabilities do not have disabilities that impact their job performance (and most importantly---did not impact their ability to pass the PT requirements of the agency/state)

THAT is not what you asked.

You asked if there was a waiver available for someone who could not perform functions essential to the job (yes sit ups and push ups are considered essential job functions because they show the physical ability to maintain stamina and shows they have the upper body strength necessary to be a cop.

I'm a wrestler naturally with about five years BJJ experience so the safety aspect or fighting or my life isn't a problem.
                      I highly disagree

How about pulling your body over a 7 foot fence or snatching a 190 lb person and dragging them 50 yrds out of danger?

I can barely do 5 situps! lol...
                      If you can't do 6 sit ups,-----------------you aren't going to get hired as a cop in 99% of the agencies in the country
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Depends on the academy, BUT if you cant do certain stuff in an academy why would you think you can do the job? No offense meant, Im a disabled veteran of the USMC, And paid my way through an academy, but i either pushed passed the pain or did a modified workout, so instead of mountain climbers i would do flutter kicks or high knees. But my academy coordinator was reasonable as well as my RTOs.

Comment

Most, if not all, of the academies in my state will not pass you if you can't complete the required standards, as you are usually tested in the beginning, middle, and end of the academy. You are expected to improve in between testing.
                          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                          that we are all that stands between
                          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I'm rated at 70% disabled by the VA. My disabilities don't impact my ability to do the job adequately.

I'm a wrestler naturally with about five years BJJ experience so the safety aspect or fighting or my life isn't a problem.
                            If you are physically incapable of performing a pushup or sit up due to injury you are incapable of fighting for your life.

I can barely do 5 situps! lol...
                            Don't see anything funny.

If the inability is due to injury you need to look elsewhere.

If it's due to lack of fitness that can be corrected. You need to slap yourself in the face and get to the gym.

IF your limitations are due to injury BUT can be overcome with work, as mine were, you need to PUNCH yourself in the face and get to work. Saying "woe is me, can anyone make an exception for poor me?" won't cut it... even if an agency DID, Ray-Ray and his buddies won't.
                            Last edited by tanksoldier; 12-08-2015, 02:11 PM.
                            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

This is something I've been struggling with myself. I retired from the Fire Marshal's after 28 years and on my days off, I worked as an officer for another city. One of the guys I used to work with wants me to join him in the department he now works for. My mind says YES, but as I do things around the house, I realize the I have some physical difficulties. I have to face facts that I can't run fast and jump high like the young pups out there today. I've been considering getting some management education and looking into a Chiefs position in one of the smaller cities near me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6721 users online. 299 members and 6422 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X