Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freezing up

Hi everyone,

So I am in an academy already. I always seem to have an issue of freezing up when interviewing someone in a scenario. I have done this twice already. I seem to ask a few questions and then that is it.

I have no problem talking to someone one on one, but as soon as its a few people I have an issue.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this issue?

Thanks

Practice------
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Take a deep breath and pause if you need to. You don't have to fill awkward silence with inane babble. Look to your notes, think about what sort of crime or offense has occurred and the checklist of the elements you need to satisfy to affect and arrest.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        Practice------
        This

As you get deeper into the academy, and possibly your career, you will develop the ability to talk to someone about absolutely nothing, yet gain needed information in the process. After you go through a scenario and put everything together for a report, figure out what information you didn't get. Keep that in mind for the next time. Constantly evaluate your own performance and work to better yourself moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveFingers View Post
          Take a deep breath and pause if you need to. You don't have to fill awkward silence with inane babble. Look to your notes, think about what sort of crime or offense has occurred and the checklist of the elements you need to satisfy to affect and arrest.
          This and practice. Slow down and think.

Comment

First step in interviewing is self-confidence.

Second is practice practice practice.
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
            that we are all that stands between
            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

You will get a lot of practice in interviewing/interrogation when you are in Field Training. You are going to pick up on a lot of things by FIRST watching your trainer and then having him watch you and give you pointers
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

FTO will be your main practice venue. There will be times when you will probably look stupid and people will laugh at you (FTO's, complainants, criminals...etc.). Just stay calm and think about what you're doing.

Comment

When I was on FT, I had a habit of looking down at my notes too much, so my FTO (a wise hillbilly, since retired) motioned for the person I was interviewing to walk away. And he did. When I looked up, my interviewee was gone. He had moved to the other side of the street. So, moral of the story: PAY ATTENTION. Boy, did I learn after that.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Relax and go in with confidence. I can't over emphasize the "relax" part. I worked as an intern for some time as part of my grad program doing counseling work with court mandated juvi offenders. In psychotherapy, you need to be very careful of how you guide and influence the conversation with what you say...much like law enforcement. I had a some trouble at first when speaking to clients because I was sitting there thinking too hard about what I should be asking instead of giving them the opportunity to speak, listening and guiding them. You get more information from somebody by engaging with them in actual conversation than you do by firing closed ended questions at them from your mental list. It may take you a little longer, and you'll probably have to stop them/redirect them a lot, but you will realize that when you let someone talk, you'll get a lot more info than you'd think without even having to ask the specific questions. This doesn't mean let them run off on their own tangent, but talk to them like a person and be interested in what they are saying.

I know for myself anyway, only having a few years of experience in law enforcement, hearing the complainant talk more about the back story helps me to see the big picture and figure out what crime may have been committed, if any. This is something that I am sure is more automatic for the seasoned vets. If you go in thinking "I am only going to get the relevant information I need to determine a crime", it'll probably be a lot more difficult for you to figure out what is going on. It's not natural, seeing the big picture is always helpful.

Just keep in mind there are circumstances when time is much more of a concern, like speaking to a victim while the suspect is in immediate flight; then obviously you are going to want to get very specific information very quickly, but then it should be obvious what to ask (description of suspect, armed?, direction of flight etc...)

Comment

Keep it simple, remember, who, what, when, where, why. From there you can ask follow up questions. And it does take practice, for some people it comes more natural to talk with others. And some never really get it.

Comment

Practice in the mirror... practice while driving.... Yep, I'm talking about talking to yourself.... Outloud.... and answer yourself...

Of course, Your mileage may vary
                        Everything rises or falls on leadership. Everything.
                        drjayirvin.wordpress.com

Comment

I graduated a few months ago and saw this in other cadets. If you freeze in the class whats the real thing gonna be like? I would suggest writing down all the questions you need to ask, and memorize them. We were allowed to use our pocket notebook to write down victim/suspect info. And i know some wrote question in them. but remember the who, what, where, when, how and whys and you should be good. Amazon also has some field interview notebooks setup. http://www.amazon.com/Rite-Rain-3X5-...ield+interview

Comment

I was always told, take a deep breath and exhale the stupid.

Comment

I learned that I needed to SLOW IT DOWN. This way it will give them a chance to take a breath, as well as yourself.. to get all the accurate information you need for a lookout broadcast, report, whatever it may be.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10252 users online. 453 members and 9799 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X