Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long does the Process Take From Applying to Getting Accepted?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long does the Process Take From Applying to Getting Accepted?

I will be soon getting out of the Army and of course, I am trying to make a smooth transition to civilian life. I was thinking about applying to both Austin, and Houston. Are there specific months that each department start their academy? or do they both pretty much have them around the same time (October/February)? should I apply 6 months out or 12 months out?

It depends. Some agencies take 3 - 6 months, others take over 2 years.

My first agency took 1.5 years to hire me.

My second took 5 months.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I'd say start applying as soon as you can. Most of the time, large departments are accepting applications and giving tests year round, as they perpetually have vacancies they need to fill. However, bear in mind that big departments, such as the ones you're looking at, tend to take the longest due to the sheer number of people they both need to sort through and the size of the academy classes they need to put through. It could potentially be a year or more before you're even called in to take the written test depending on how many applicants they have.

When it comes to getting into law enforcement, the number of people for whom it is a "smooth transition" whether from military, college, or another career, is extremely small. There's a good chance that it will take well more than a year and more than a dozen applications to finally get hired.
      "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
      -Chris Rock

Comment

Depends on where you wanna work. Cop jobs in the Northwest take between 6 and 18 months generally.....
        Everything rises or falls on leadership. Everything.
        drjayirvin.wordpress.com

Comment

For the RCMP, my daughter was about 16 months from entrance exam to the academy. This seems to be about the average.

Comment

I applied 7 months prior to ETSing, and it worked out perfectly for me. You should contact the recruiter for the departments you're interested in and ask them what the average length of time is.
            "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Too me over 2 1/2 years.
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

100 Quinjillion Years

But, for syrusus OP, expect 6mo-1yr.
                REINSTATE THE TRIG
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                Your logic defies logic
                Originally posted by Rudy8116
                Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
                Originally posted by Michigan
                Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
                Originally posted by TheTick
                A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
                Originally posted by TheTick
                This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
                Originally posted by 02paul09
                Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

For me, I applied in March, went through all the tests in between and started in academy in November.

Comment

HPD? Definitely apply 1 year out.

Comment

Apply ASAP. I am former military and know a lot of guys that were expecting to apply late and get on with an agency only to find out it wasn't so easy and not having any back up plan. Apply early and have a backup plan.

Comment

Moot. One post wonder.
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by miller757 View Post
                          I will be soon getting out of the Army and of course, I am trying to make a smooth transition to civilian life. I was thinking about applying to both Austin, and Houston. Are there specific months that each department start their academy? or do they both pretty much have them around the same time (October/February)? should I apply 6 months out or 12 months out?
                          It was some 30 years ago buy my ets date and my hire date was 5 days apart. I applied during a leave and was lucky everything lined up. I would apply now you can stay on the list for 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by SGTWILKS View Post
                            It was some 30 years ago buy my ets date and my hire date was 5 days apart. I applied during a leave and was lucky everything lined up. I would apply now you can stay on the list for 2 years.
                            I had 3 "major " interviews over a 7 yr period back in the 70's and 80's

#1 Interviewed as a rookie Correctional Officer(21 yrs old) at a max prison. 5 minute interview, 5 minute "sit in the hall" and then brought back in and asked if I could start in 4 days. Application and interview all within 3 weeks

#2 Two yrs later for Deputy Sheriff in a "larger" Sheriff's Office in Iowa. 30 minute interview after a 6 month process. Called the next day and told to report to work 8 am 2 weeks from that day

#3 6 yrs later for a Correctional Officer job at a minimum security camp. 5 minute interview mostly talking about people we knew together from my earlier job as a CO. Didn't ask any "required questions" because I had more experience than most of the officers they already had on site (camp was only 3 yrs old). Started 2 days later. Took about a week from application to interview.

None of that is going to happen today...............
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Columbia PD (SC) is boasting a hiring time of ~3 months, I am going through the process now, so I'll find out (not counting the 3 months it took to finalize my application)
                              Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                              USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                              "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                              Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9745 users online. 421 members and 9324 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X