300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enrolling Independently.

Greetings everyone. I'd like to thank y'all in advance for reading this post.

I've been discharged from the USMC for about a year now. I'm currently in college, but extremely bored. I've been considering utilizing my GI Bill to pay for my independent (not through a local agency) enrollment in one of the local POST academies.

-Does anyone have any experience going this route?

-Is there any negative stigmas attached to individuals who putting themselves through the academy without sponsorship from an established agency?

If it matters, i'm in Southern California.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by AJV333 View Post

I've been discharged from the USMC for about a year now. I'm currently in college, but extremely bored. I've been considering utilizing my GI Bill to pay for my independent (not through a local agency) enrollment in one of the local POST academies.

-Is there any negative stigmas attached to individuals who putting themselves through the academy without sponsorship from an established agency?

Thanks again.

I'm going to suggest you use the "Search Function". I make that suggestion, not as a means of blowing you off, or not wishing to help you. I believe though, that you'll find a wealth of information on this subject. We've discussed the subject at length, both pro's and con's. Take a look at what has been discussed, then make a decision.

Best of luck and thanks for your service.

Comment

Go to the search box and click ADVANCED SEARCH

type "sponsor" into the term search box (with out quote marks)

look around and read some of the results
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by AJV333 View Post

Thanks again.
        If it's something you want to do and you have the fortitude to do it for free, then just do it.

Seriously..

Comment

I did it in Missouri and had job offers coming my way before I even graduated. I don't know about SoCal but in Missouri it is very acceptable. Other states like Arkansas and Illinois won't allow you to go through without being sponsored. It definitely makes you more marketable to agencies because they don't have to pay for it.

That being said, I would recommend at least trying to get sponsored. It is so much better of a deal because most agencies will provide you with everything necessary for the academy (Duty gear, vest, gun(s), ammo, car, housing) and pay you while you're there. Since I wasn't sponsored, I still had to work nights to support myself and that made for a hectic four months with a lot of unneeded stress.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Comment

I am going through as self-sponsored or "pre-service", as I failed my shooting the first time. Obviously it is better to get hired first, money wise, as you get paid while you are in the academy. The downside is you will probably go with whichever police department offers you a position first, vs. Picking your number one choice. I haven't graduated yet but I have had several job offers so far and it is nice to be "picky". I don't think there is any stigma.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13112 users online. 423 members and 12689 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X