300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would like to join the army national guard while on e NYPD

I would like to know if anyone has joined the Army NG while a cop on the NYPD and if so, is the NYPD very flexible with military service?

YMMV, but many moons ago there was a guy in my NG unit who was attending the NYPD academy. He was military before he was LE, so they knew upfront what his requirements were.

That being said.....understand that this career (not job) really isn't like any other. While it's admirable that you want to serve your country and New York City, there are considerable issues with doing both. While the operational tempo of Guard units has slowed down with the draw down of the wars, you will still be obligated to basic (10 weeks minimum) AIT (job training, anywhere from weeks to months to years) and the weekends/annual trainings.

I can only speak from my personal experience, but having worked in public safety for a while the job gets tired of it. I would burn through all of my military leave and most of my personal leave covering drill weekends and AT's. Additionally, depending on your unit they will think they take priority over the job....as an example, during a snow emergency I was called in to drive Humvee's to transport critical personnel (cops, firefighters, nurses, etc) to their jobs. The guard was ****ed when I informed them that I was essential personnel and wasn't coming is as the job needed me.

If you're starting out in LE, take your time, pick one to do first and focus on it. The other will (usually) still be there.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
      YMMV, but many moons ago there was a guy in my NG unit who was attending the NYPD academy. He was military before he was LE, so they knew upfront what his requirements were.

That being said.....understand that this career (not job) really isn't like any other. While it's admirable that you want to serve your country and New York City, there are considerable issues with doing both. While the operational tempo of Guard units has slowed down with the draw down of the wars, you will still be obligated to basic (10 weeks minimum) AIT (job training, anywhere from weeks to months to years) and the weekends/annual trainings.

I can only speak from my personal experience, but having worked in public safety for a while the job gets tired of it. I would burn through all of my military leave and most of my personal leave covering drill weekends and AT's. Additionally, depending on your unit they will think they take priority over the job....as an example, during a snow emergency I was called in to drive Humvee's to transport critical personnel (cops, firefighters, nurses, etc) to their jobs. The guard was ****ed when I informed them that I was essential personnel and wasn't coming is as the job needed me.

If you're starting out in LE, take your time, pick one to do first and focus on it. The other will (usually) still be there.
      This is very good advice. When I left active duty and became a cop, I thought about going into the reserves. Then when I really thought about it, I realized it wasn't a good idea. God bless those who do it, but not this guy.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by tusky06 View Post
        I would like to know if anyone has joined the Army NG while a cop on the NYPD and if so, is the NYPD very flexible with military service?
        In Jersey we had a guy that was hired and a year later joined the NG.His spot was held and he was paid for active duty time. He came back and was put back in his slot like nothing happened. He later went to Iraq. You have to talk to your union rep. I can tell you 30 years ago I left active duty and did my inactive time as a reservist. I went to operations and showed my training schedule to my captain. He told me to pick what one I made more money with and stay with it. Back then it was a different environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SGTWILKS View Post
          In Jersey we had a guy that was hired and a year later joined the NG.His spot was held and he was paid for active duty time. He came back and was put back in his slot like nothing happened. He later went to Iraq. You have to talk to your union rep. I can tell you 30 years ago I left active duty and did my inactive time as a reservist. I went to operations and showed my training schedule to my captain. He told me to pick what one I made more money with and stay with it. Back then it was a different environment.
          Our state law (I was a state employee) is specific............you can not be harmed in anyway shape or form due to your service in the military

We have had people get promotions while on active duty for the reserves/NG.

One guy interviewed by phone from Afghanistan ----------and was promoted. The job was covered by others until he retured.

We had a guy prior to 9/11 take a leave of absence to work as a NG recruiter for 5 yrs----------he returned with full seniority and benifits. Was later promoted to Sgt

We had a guy take a leave of absence for 2 yrs to be a private security contractor in Iraq---------------returned and guess what......has been promoted to Sgt

I lost 1 person on my shift on 9/11/01...........he got a call at the institution from his commander at 1600hrs that he was to report to his Air Guard position by 2359 hrs. Lost 3 more the next day to similar orders
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Yep. I enlisted in the USCG Reserves a few days after 9/11 . Deployed a few times. My agency was ****ed, especially one certain Lt., who ordered me to tell him exactly when I would return. I fired up a USERRA complaint and the mention of a LT in orange and cuffs in Fed court to the Sheriff did wonders...

I WILL say that it killed my advancement chances. Beware what ramifications there may be.

Would not have changed it for anything.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Years ago California NG looked at standing up some EOD detachments. I spearheaded the research and talked to several other reserve components about their practices.

One reason there are FEW reserve component EOD detachments is that the people who DO that already do it in real life. So, if you have Guard EOD guys responding to an incident you PROBABLY pulled them away from their own agencies, where they would have been responding anyway.

That's what happens with cops, firefighters, EMS, hospital staff and similar professions who serve in a reserve component: they're ALREADY involved in anything that's happening locally so you CAN'T rely on them to report for military duty... and expecting them to report is stupid. If they also hold leadership positions in their reserve unit, that unit's effectiveness is reduced when it is activated without those people in place.

So. MY advice is, if you want to be military AND you want to be a cop, do one then the other. Enlist Regular Army and get it out of your system... THEN ETS, start college and start applying to LE jobs. Don't try to mix the two.

We have had people get promotions while on active duty for the reserves/NG.
              I think we can all agree that's how it is SUPPOSED to work... and sometimes it does.

I think we can also agree that sometimes it doesn't, and unless someone is stupid you'll never be able to prove it was military service that killed your career.
              Last edited by tanksoldier; 10-09-2015, 04:44 PM.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                I think we can all agree that's how it is SUPPOSED to work... and sometimes it does.

I think we can also agree that sometimes it doesn't, and unless someone is stupid you'll never be able to prove it was military service that killed your career.
                I don't disagree one bit on what you are saying.

What I was saying is MY employer---totally 100% supported the Guard and Reserve....Probably 110%

Sometimes to the detriment of the agency

So much so that recently..........and I am talking in the last few months it was discovered that one person had been turning in NG orders and getting time off to attend guard duties............it was discovered that he didn't belong (nor had he ever) to ANY guard unit

Charges are pending
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  I don't disagree one bit on what you are saying.

What I was saying is MY employer---totally 100% supported the Guard and Reserve....Probably 110%

Sometimes to the detriment of the agency

So much so that recently..........and I am talking in the last few months it was discovered that one person had been turning in NG orders and getting time off to attend guard duties............it was discovered that he didn't belong (nor had he ever) to ANY guard unit

Charges are pending
                  Good!!! I hope you mean criminal charges and not just internal policy violation charges. Falsifying Business Records would fit nicely here in NY, at least. And you could probably make a halfway decent fraud case.

Guys like that need to be nailed to the wall!!!!

I'm a vet, and a huge military supporter. But at the same time, I am now a civil servant. While supporting the guard/reserves is awesome, I understand the other side of it too. Which is exactly why, like Tank said, after it was out of my system, I never went back.
                  I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                    Good!!! I hope you mean criminal charges and not just internal policy violation chargesk.

I don't know right now.........................my old agency / institution is facing bigger problems 4 staff are facing smuggling and drug charges after they got caught up in a federal investigation . AKA one is looking at 30 yrs fed time

I hope they do..........

Comment

My agency also supports it 100%
                      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                      that we are all that stands between
                      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Yes. PM me if you have any questions; I did it a few years back and it was easy. No problems at all, I'd just prefer not to discuss our SOP for enlistment on a public forum.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9359 users online. 479 members and 8880 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X