300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy changes

I was just wondering, with everything that has been happening recently, do you think there will be any changes to the way most academies are run beginning in the next few years?

Will there be a de-emphasis on stress academies? More focus on critical thinking skills as opposed to the heavy focus on PT/DT?

And when I mentioned about the things that have been happening recently, I wasn't only referring to the protests, but also all of the cyber/white-collar/financial crime.

I don't think much will change, personally. Maybe some more "verbal de-escalation" (verbal judo), and Officer Safety tactics/mindset stuff.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I don't know why there would be a de-emphasis on stress academies. I expect more cultural diversity training, descalation training, crowd control training, etc. The low hanging fruit is cultural diversity training.

Comment

I mentioned the stress academy thing because there seems to be a certain segment of the population that thinks the stress academies are causing 'warrior cops/us vs. them mindset/robots who can only follow orders but not think for themselves etc'

Personally I think that is hogwash, but if those groups grab the ears of the politicians, who knows

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
          The low hanging fruit is cultural diversity training.
          I've had to take several cultural diversity training sessions in the last 15 years. I didn't learn a single damn thing.
          Originally posted by RSGSRT
          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I did. I learned I know MORE than the trainers, as I've actually worked in and with diverse cultures.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              I did. I learned I know MORE than the trainers, as I've actually worked in and with diverse cultures.
              This. Serve in the Army for two decades and you'll work with every ethnicity and subculture in the US... except maybe the Amish.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                This. Serve in the Army for two decades and you'll work with every ethnicity and subculture in the US... except maybe the Amish.
                Lies. You get to work with the the grunts in your until and the country you deploy too.

Comment

Going through the academy I'm in right now, I'm not sure there isn't something that isn't stressed upon heavily. Stress-inoculation, diligence and discipline, personal accountability, officer safety, community policing - you name it, it's all equally important.

Comment

Originally posted by savan View Post
                    Lies. You get to work with the the grunts in your until and the country you deploy too.
                    Ummm... and those grunts are black, Hispanic, Latino, various flavors of Asian... and they come from all parts of the country and all the territories: Midwest, Guam, Puerto Rico, east coast...

...and, as the name implies, I was a tanker... so we don't have grunts.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

No I don't think academies will change. Each decade there seems to be some police hate years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10000 users online. 305 members and 9695 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X