Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prepping for Academy and/or Paid training?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping for Academy and/or Paid training?

How should I go about preparation to make myself a better candidate for law enforcement? I would like to stand out and hopefully get a paid training slot.

Right now I am building my résumé and I just got a promotion after working for my company for 3 months. I deal with a lot of police reports, insurance information, accident reports, and all of that. I work with what is essentially an insurance office. I assume this can't hurt me, but what else can I do? What would y'all recommend? I do already have a bachelor's degree.

I am interested in defensive tactics too. I do Brazilian Jujitsu as my primary sport and I am looking to compete soon (blue belt level...but I do this for fun, not self defense). I am also well versed in firearms because of my background (and have the state concealed license). But I am really just looking for things to make my résumé pop for paid training slotsZ

Short version:

What prep should I do? Anything that will help me stand out for paid training slots or just as someone who is in the academy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is a paid training slot?

Comment

He means hired and sent.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
        What is a paid training slot?
        Yea. Sorry about that. And the late response. I just got a promotion at work and have been very busy. Like a position for paid training at a local department.

Comment

IMHO, the best way to make yourself stand out would be to earn degrees in information technology, sociology, psychology and business administration while minoring in Arabic and Spanish languages. Than along with keeping a squeaky clean background, a stable work history and being height / weight proportionate, should do the trick.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Short answer, honestly: forget everything you know. "well versed" in firearms usually means that I, as a firearms instructor, have to spend more time unteaching bad habits (usually to a candidate with an attitude of how they know everything) then I do with a fresh canvas so to speak. Same goes for BJJ...what works there may be a direct violation of your agencies use of force policies.

So short answer: keep your record clean, do well at your current job and be the "go to" guy and be a sponge when the time comes to apply.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
              Short answer, honestly: forget everything you know. "well versed" in firearms usually means that I, as a firearms instructor, have to spend more time unteaching bad habits (usually to a candidate with an attitude of how they know everything) then I do with a fresh canvas so to speak. Same goes for BJJ...what works there may be a direct violation of your agencies use of force policies.

So short answer: keep your record clean, do well at your current job and be the "go to" guy and be a sponge when the time comes to apply.
              Yea I just mentioned those last 2 as more of an explanation. I love learning on that topic. Especially in a sparring environment. I think I will rewrite how I put that on my resume and focus more on my enjoyment of learning newer methods and that I understand to shut up and pay attention.

Thank you sir (or ma'am...I can't see gender on a phone).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9177 users online. 486 members and 8691 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X