Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much running is in the California Highway Patrol academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SACOP
    replied
    Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
    The "official" class runs will probably be the easiest PT in the academy.
    This. Oh this, many times this.

My first academy we had to do the pre entry fitness standard test, I think two times or three times during the course of the academy.

After a few weeks of increasing PT, the official fitness tests ended up being literally easier than our (laughably called) warm up sessions we were having.

Haven't done CHP obviously - much as I'd like to - but having been through more than one academy and helped with numerous cadets over the years, I can happily say that the people that did the bare minimum were not well respected by either their peers or instructors.

Slug your guts out at everything you do and you'll find help from places you wouldn't expect. I remember after a particularly marathon study session struggling with a PT exercise. I'd spent months giving 100% and on this day I was struggling, but not giving up. Sweating and shaking arms and all the rest, the scary PT instructor who had beasted us throughout the course was counting my reps and I swear I heard him count like this: "23, 24, 28, 32, 37, 38, 43..."

Only happened once, I made sure of that. And I didn't mention it to anyone or else I am sure that I would have been still doing punishment press ups today. But it showed me that 100% all out was the way to approach the academy - and my policing career to date.

I've no time for "just enough" cops. "Just enough" is for those who flip burgers, not those who carry a gun and a badge and are trusted to turn up when my family need help.

Rant mode: OFF.

Leave a comment:

• SmallCityCop
    replied
    While I attended a county sheriff academy, by the last day we were doing circuit/cardio runs (short-distance, high-speed) as well as 5+ mile runs, sometimes with kettle bells and pallets over our heads.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Originally posted by Barney_Fife View Post
    How many miles are run daily in the CHP academy. I have heard most academies don't go over two miles in their running but have heard CHP does much more running. Can anyone tell me what the CHP academy physical training is like. What type of schedule, how long are the runs, etc.
    If their academy is anything like it used to be, they will START you at over two miles and go up from there......many academies also vary the runs....long distance one day; circuit and sprint training another.

Leave a comment:

• SGTWILKS
    replied
    How many miles are run daily in the CHP academy. I have heard most academies don't go over two miles in their running but have heard CHP does much more running. Can anyone tell me what the CHP academy physical training is like. What type of schedule, how long are the runs, etc.
    You need to be prepared. Start with the mindset that you need to train instead of dreading the run I would be in the best shape of my life. Just remember you will need to show improvement in the academy so pace yourself.
    Last edited by SGTWILKS; 09-14-2015, 07:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kdubpcma
    replied
    I
    Originally posted by chiefjack View Post
    You are going to run more than you can ever conceive of in your wildest/worst nightmare. I know many Officers who graduated from the CHP Academy and all i can say is WOW!!!

Pick up a copy of the book titled "Cadet Blues", it was written by a CHP LT. and it is all about life in the Academy.

http://www.cadetblues.com/
    Thanks for the link/book name! Been looking for my next read and feel I should have a better idea for what to be mentally and physically prepared for.

I run everyday, even when I don't want to, and cross train with biking and martial arts. I have a pt workout that I do daily and lift throughout the week.
    I am female and have been worried about pull ups. Does anyone know the requirements on pull ups as a cadet for CHP? So far, after 9 months of training hard, I can only do one pull up at a time.
    Last edited by Kdubpcma; 09-14-2015, 05:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chiefjack
    replied
    You are going to run more than you can ever conceive of in your wildest/worst nightmare. I know many Officers who graduated from the CHP Academy and all i can say is WOW!!!

Pick up a copy of the book titled "Cadet Blues", it was written by a CHP LT. and it is all about life in the Academy.

http://www.cadetblues.com/
    Last edited by chiefjack; 07-07-2015, 01:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• slamdunc
    replied
    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    He's more concerned about importing his guns in his car with no front plates. Great start for an applicant...more like an appli-won't.
    The running notwithstanding, academy can be a rude-awakening for someone on the edge lol.

Last edited by slamdunc; 07-06-2015, 08:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    He's more concerned about importing his guns in his car with no front plates. Great start for an applicant...more like an appli-won't.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Calm down!!! I'm not out of shape. I am in great shape and I recently applied for this department and just wanted to know the academy details.
    NO, he doesn't need to calm down

You are arguing that you "were told" something that we have already told you is probably not true or at the least not common.

Slamdunc is just letting you know that what you were told probably wasn't in your best interest.

If you are in such good shape why are you worrying about running distances and schedules? And worrying enough that you get advice about them and want to tell us we are wrong with our advice...................

Leave a comment:

• Barney_Fife
    replied
    Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
    The people you 'know' are setting you up for failure. You should listen to them and if you do somehow slip through the cracks in the selection & hiring process for CHP, you will be back at the house in a couple of days.
    ^^ These ^^ are words to live by. There are a lot of cliché little things which apply here, but Aerohead nailed it. Failing to Prepare = Preparing to Fail.
    I went through basic training and academy with people who exhibited this minimalist attitude. I remember administering the POWER (P.T.) portion of a test where this one kid (21 or 22 year old) ran the first four laps and realized he was ok on time. He had plenty of gas left, yet he slowed first to a jog and then he was walking, making the time with about two minutes to spare. The merit commission chairman (the guy that chairs the panel interviews and certifies the list) was standing with me when this happened.

During the interview, he asked the kid why he started walking; the kid grins and says I was so far ahead of my group that I had plenty of time. The next question was something like: so, if someone were breaking into my house, would I want the officer responding to the call to be the one who thought he had "plenty of time" to get there or the one running his guts out to be the best that he could be? The chump was in a no-win and either answer would acknowledge poor judgment.

Get a clue, Barney_Fife, if your heart isn't in this, don't waste the time of agencies looking for the best and brightest, because your attitude shows that you are neither. Wal-Mart is always hiring and they don't care if you can run or not.

Calm down!!! I'm not out of shape. I am in great shape and I recently applied for this department and just wanted to know the academy details.

Leave a comment:

• Soap
    replied
    Originally posted by barney_fife
    When you're done with CHP's Academy, you'll be a lean, mean, ticket writing, traffic-breaking and not-good-for-much-else machine. You have both my congratulations and sympathy.

And by the way, stop worrying about the distance and schedule. Just do your best in whatever they tell you to do and you'll be fine.. mostly.

Leave a comment:

• reils49
    replied
    We ran a lot in our academy, not CHP, but a similar SP/HP agency. 5 days a week we were in formation in the gym @ 05:30. Running the U.Albany quad or stairs was a normal warmup to getting smoked on the gym floor. And then we had defensive tactics later in the day and got smoked their too.

Some of our PT sessions were eerily similar to those I experienced in the Marine Corps.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
    The merit commission chairman (the guy that chairs the panel interviews and certifies the list) was standing with me when this happened.
    You never know who is going to show up at testing

The sheriff likes to show up in a grungy tshirt mirrored shades and a weeks growth of beard and watch

He loves it when people are taking the written dressed worse than he is

Leave a comment:

• Aerohead
    replied
    I know few that went through Orange County Sheriff's department academy and he said they only did two mile runs at no longer than 10 minute a mile pace.
    Ever hear of punishment PT and DT/PT? Yeah. Go ahead and only plan on passing the minimum PT standards. The "official" class runs will probably be the easiest PT in the academy.

Leave a comment:

• slamdunc
    replied
    I know few that went through Orange County Sheriff's department academy and he said they only did two mile runs at no longer than 10 minute a mile pace.
    The people you 'know' are setting you up for failure. You should listen to them and if you do somehow slip through the cracks in the selection & hiring process for CHP, you will be back at the house in a couple of days.
    Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
    Training for the minimum prepares you for failure.
    ^^ These ^^ are words to live by. There are a lot of cliché little things which apply here, but Aerohead nailed it. Failing to Prepare = Preparing to Fail.
    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    So how does one academy equate to "most?" Got news for you: CHP is NOT the same. Nor are any academies the same. Run or not. You WILL fail with that attitude.
    I went through basic training and academy with people who exhibited this minimalist attitude. I remember administering the POWER (P.T.) portion of a test where this one kid (21 or 22 year old) ran the first four laps and realized he was ok on time. He had plenty of gas left, yet he slowed first to a jog and then he was walking, making the time with about two minutes to spare. The merit commission chairman (the guy that chairs the panel interviews and certifies the list) was standing with me when this happened.

During the interview, he asked the kid why he started walking; the kid grins and says I was so far ahead of my group that I had plenty of time. The next question was something like: so, if someone were breaking into my house, would I want the officer responding to the call to be the one who thought he had "plenty of time" to get there or the one running his guts out to be the best that he could be? The chump was in a no-win and either answer would acknowledge poor judgment.

Get a clue, Barney_Fife, if your heart isn't in this, don't waste the time of agencies looking for the best and brightest, because your attitude shows that you are neither. Wal-Mart is always hiring and they don't care if you can run or not.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9681 users online. 472 members and 9209 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X