Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much running is in the California Highway Patrol academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much running is in the California Highway Patrol academy?

How many miles are run daily in the CHP academy. I have heard most academies don't go over two miles in their running but have heard CHP does much more running. Can anyone tell me what the CHP academy physical training is like. What type of schedule, how long are the runs, etc.

Expect to run A LOT in any Trooper academy

http://forums.officer.com/t197245/
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Barney_Fife View Post
      How many miles are run daily in the CHP academy. I have heard most academies don't go over two miles in their running but have heard CHP does much more running. Can anyone tell me what the CHP academy physical training is like. What type of schedule, how long are the runs, etc.
      Read this, https://www.chp.ca.gov/CHPCareersSit...r%20Future.pdf.
      Page 29 says the distance ran daily near the end of the academy.
      Last edited by adoragon; 07-04-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by adoragon View Post
        Read https://www.chp.ca.gov/CHPCareersSite/Documents/Pursue%20Your%20Future.pdf.
        Page 29 says the distance ran daily near the end of the academy.
        broken link

see if this works
        https://www.chp.ca.gov/CHPCareersSit...r%20Future.pdf
        Last edited by Iowa #1603; 07-04-2015, 10:19 AM.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          broken link
          Link fixed. Tried to shorten the url but didn't work and broke the link.

Comment

I don't know where you got the two mile thing. Most academies out here do 4-5 miles. You need to be in shape. Period.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

We did up to 10 miles in mine. Keep in mind that the curriculum may say one thing, but your PT instructor may decide on a little extra "motivation" on a random day. I've heard of an academy where a PT instructor made his guys miss class start because of an extra-long "motivational" workout, then made them do extra PT on top of that as punishment for being late. It's their game, be ready.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                I don't know where you got the two mile thing. Most academies out here do 4-5 miles. You need to be in shape. Period.
                I know few that went through Orange County Sheriff's department academy and he said they only did two mile runs at no longer than 10 minute a mile pace.

Comment

Training for the minimum prepares you for failure.
                  Originally posted by RSGSRT
                  We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                  Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

So how does one academy equate to "most?" Got news for you: CHP is NOT the same. Nor are any academies the same. Run or not. You WILL fail with that attitude.
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Barney_Fife View Post
                      I know few that went through Orange County Sheriff's department academy and he said they only did two mile runs at no longer than 10 minute a mile pace.
                      The people you 'know' are setting you up for failure. You should listen to them and if you do somehow slip through the cracks in the selection & hiring process for CHP, you will be back at the house in a couple of days.
                      Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                      Training for the minimum prepares you for failure.
                      ^^ These ^^ are words to live by. There are a lot of cliché little things which apply here, but Aerohead nailed it. Failing to Prepare = Preparing to Fail.
                      Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                      So how does one academy equate to "most?" Got news for you: CHP is NOT the same. Nor are any academies the same. Run or not. You WILL fail with that attitude.
                      I went through basic training and academy with people who exhibited this minimalist attitude. I remember administering the POWER (P.T.) portion of a test where this one kid (21 or 22 year old) ran the first four laps and realized he was ok on time. He had plenty of gas left, yet he slowed first to a jog and then he was walking, making the time with about two minutes to spare. The merit commission chairman (the guy that chairs the panel interviews and certifies the list) was standing with me when this happened.

During the interview, he asked the kid why he started walking; the kid grins and says I was so far ahead of my group that I had plenty of time. The next question was something like: so, if someone were breaking into my house, would I want the officer responding to the call to be the one who thought he had "plenty of time" to get there or the one running his guts out to be the best that he could be? The chump was in a no-win and either answer would acknowledge poor judgment.

Get a clue, Barney_Fife, if your heart isn't in this, don't waste the time of agencies looking for the best and brightest, because your attitude shows that you are neither. Wal-Mart is always hiring and they don't care if you can run or not.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Ever hear of punishment PT and DT/PT? Yeah. Go ahead and only plan on passing the minimum PT standards. The "official" class runs will probably be the easiest PT in the academy.
                        Originally posted by RSGSRT
                        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                          The merit commission chairman (the guy that chairs the panel interviews and certifies the list) was standing with me when this happened.
                          You never know who is going to show up at testing

The sheriff likes to show up in a grungy tshirt mirrored shades and a weeks growth of beard and watch

He loves it when people are taking the written dressed worse than he is

Comment

We ran a lot in our academy, not CHP, but a similar SP/HP agency. 5 days a week we were in formation in the gym @ 05:30. Running the U.Albany quad or stairs was a normal warmup to getting smoked on the gym floor. And then we had defensive tactics later in the day and got smoked their too.

Some of our PT sessions were eerily similar to those I experienced in the Marine Corps.
                            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by barney_fife
                              When you're done with CHP's Academy, you'll be a lean, mean, ticket writing, traffic-breaking and not-good-for-much-else machine. You have both my congratulations and sympathy.

And by the way, stop worrying about the distance and schedule. Just do your best in whatever they tell you to do and you'll be fine.. mostly.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8324 users online. 261 members and 8063 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X