Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestions, career choices.

Hi everyone.

I live in CA, 26 years old, college graduate, married (no children), working full time right now in a job I am not satisfied with (and one that has nothing to do with my college degree) and one I cannot consider a long time career. Through this, I've found I would enjoy law enforcement. Have been applying for about a year now to sponsered academies but no luck.

I'm really considering sacrificing and putting my life on hold for 6 months (quit work full time, move where I can get into an academy) and self-pay myself through an academy. What are your thoughts on this? How is the job market once I get done with the academy?

I know the academy is a job in itself and takes time and focus, so getting through it is one story. But nothing is guaranteed and I'm concerned what my job chances are even landing a law enforcement job, if I'm not sponsered?

Anyone been in my shoes or even those who haven't, have any suggestions?

Thanks for the time!

Don't do it. Wait until your hired. LE isn't something to get into under your own dime right now...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

It's more important that you provide for your family. Keep testing!
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

The previous responses are both correct. You should just be patient and keep applying to other agencies. If you really want to get hired learn a second language.

Comment

We've done numerous discussions on the pro's and con's of self sponsored academies. I would recommend you use the "search function" to access these discussions.

You note you're from California. That is major Civil Service territory. The written exam will be your first hurdle as you begin to navigate a given hiring process. The exam basically measures basic Math, English, Reading Comprehension, and Reasoning Skills. While certainly not rocket science, you'd be surprised at the number of applicants, including some college grads, who fail this exam.

Your best friend here is research. Determine the number of agencies hiring, or those which might anticipate hiring in the not too distant future. Determine for yourself whether or not you're willing to relocate to either apply or enter a hiring process.

Comment

Applying to sponsored academies? What do you envision happening once you graduate the academy from a sponsored academy? Seriously. Do you think X agency will pay you to go through the Academy so that you can go work for Y department?
              semper destravit

Comment

I wouldn't consider quitting my job just so I could pay my way through the academy. On graduation day, you will be just as unemployed as the rest of the open academy students who are graduating in numbers far exceeding their need. How about a part time academy? Do you have those?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13210 users online. 483 members and 12727 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X