300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical training program

So I start the academy at beginning of July and I am trying to get prepared physically. One of my main concerns is the running portion, as of right now for the last two weeks I have been running every other day for about 2-3 ½ miles at 9:30 – 10:30 pace depending on how I feel. I also lift weights moderately since running is one of my weaker points. I was wondering if anyone had a workout program that would help me improve my times as well as help with my endurance for push-ups and sit-ups as I know PT wont just be running or just push-ups and sit-ups but rather a combination of both and other exercises. I would really appreciate to see what others did to get ready for the academy.

I'm also attending the academy soon here in St. Louis. (Orienting April 29) I do 100 sit-ups, 100 push-ups & run around 2 1/2-3 miles at 9:15-10 min pace every other day. I really don't want to over train and hurt myself before I start.

Comment

I'm still waiting for an academy invite but I can tell you what I do. I try to run and do calisthenics 4-5 times a week. The run totals 3 miles or so at an 8 minute pace (constantly trying to go faster). The calisthenics are 3 sets of the following:

30 pushups
      30 situps
      30 4-count jumping jacks
      30 nose in the rings
      30 leg lifts
      15 4-count mountain climbers
      15 8-count burpees
      8 pullups

I do all of the above in the same workout and up my reps as I see fit (going to up pullups to 9 next week) I finish with Friday being a long run day of at least 4.5 miles but preferably 5.5 miles. I also go to the gym 3 nights a week with a focus on shoulders, triceps, chest and abs with most other muscle groups getting worked as well but on a much lesser scale.
      Last edited by adoragon; 04-02-2015, 12:14 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by hotwaterkyle View Post
        I'm also attending the academy soon here in St. Louis. (Orienting April 29) I do 100 sit-ups, 100 push-ups & run around 2 1/2-3 miles at 9:15-10 min pace every other day. I really don't want to over train and hurt myself before I start.
        Thanks for the reply! Do you do your 100 push-ups and sit-ups in one set or do you speed them out into different sets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

http://youtu.be/41N6bKO-NVI

Try this to mix it up a bit

Comment

Originally posted by alexac9 View Post
            Thanks for the reply! Do you do your 100 push-ups and sit-ups in one set or do you speed them out into different sets?

2 sets of 50
            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Crossfit 3x/wk, Bikram or "hot" yoga 3x/wk... one rest day/wk.

Maintain that schedule for two months and you'll be fine. Maintain it for six months and you'll probably be in the top third of your class..

Maintain it for life and you'll be well prepared physically to survive in a law enforcement career.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Just make sure you do warm ups and some stretching before your workouts to prevent injury. Do some stretches every other day at home to increase flexibility, even if its your day off from working out.

Comment

Started doing TRX and it's amazing. Check it out.

Comment

Since im doing a spartan race soon. Im following their training guide since it includes a lot of running which is my weakness

Comment

Are all Police academies the same in training and physical requirements? What are the bar minimums to get into most police academies? I recently took a police exam and now I waiting to be called what should I do to prepare for the academy? I also took a State Police exam too and I was wondering if the state academy is also very hard to go through?

Comment

What are the bar minimums to get into most police academies?
                        It depends on the state and the academy itself.

However, bare minimums aren't your goal.

Become as fit as you possibly can in the time allowed. You can't be TOO in shape.

Having in your mind "what's the least I can do to get by" is going to trip you up.

My suggestion is Crossfit 3x/week and hot yoga 3x/week with rest day 1x/week for a minimum of six months.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Like tank said above do not have the bare minimum be your goal. You should always want to be in the best shape you can be. Not only will being physically fit save your life but it can also save you from a fight or flight situation. For example if i see a fat cop roll up on me I am thinking "i can outrun precious". Now if you roll up on scene and look like Christopher Robin I am going to think "i can def beat his ***". Therefore making more problems for you as the officer because in their mind they have the upper hand.

Try to push yourself to be the biggest, baddest officer you can be. When you look squared away it will make you more confident and confidence will earn respect.

I try to work on doing circuits with no rest between sets and a combo of sprints. I start off with the sprints then I lift. I try to simulate a foot chase type scenario. After you've caught the subject guess what? now you still have to have the strength to fit him/her after running your *** off.

My academy was run by all SWAT guys. I always pushed myself and was one of the more physically fit in the class. This actually helped me because they didn't pick on me as much because they respected my work ethic. Every academy is different but we did things such as: 10 mile runs on horse trails with gun belt and vest on while holding 2 10 pound dumbbells, push ups, sit ups, log carries, water jug carries, sand bag carries, carrying each other lol, battling ropes, pull ups, planks. A lot of the workouts were designed to get you in better shape but they were also designed to test your spirit and how bad you wanted it. Everyday we had to push our cars in and out of the parking lot because somebody drove 6 mph and the speed limit was 5 ha.

Overall just run A LOT and do bodyweight exercises to prepare for the academy. Save all the other stuff for when you graduate. That's when midnights, 12 hour shifts, and sleepless nights start. aka when you start to pack on the weight if not careful.

My academy instructor used to say "You can write all the tickets in the world but if you are a fat cop, you are a half *** cop".

Good luck, stay safe and welcome to the family.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the tips! I've been working really hard for this! Right now I am at 270lbs 6ft 5in. I do feel like I should loose a bit more weight overall I am doing really good with my workouts, I can get about 45 push-ups and 37 sit ups in 1 min and improving!

Comment

TRX is great.

http://www.weiderfitness.com/fitness...er-x-factor-st
                              This link is to a fairly cheap body weight workout three times a week. Walmart carries it. I recommend it to people who are looking to do something but might not know what that is. Good luck.

As far as running goes add 10% to either your time, speed, or distance. But not all three. Just me but I'd focus on two miles (since most standards are for 1.5 miles) and try to get my run time down to around 14:00 for two miles.
                              1*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8675 users online. 408 members and 8267 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X