Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Academy ACADEMICS

Hi All,

I apologize in advance if this is a repeat post.

I'm thinking about putting my self through the OCSA (OC Sheriff's Academy, CA) and had
    some questions about the academic part of it.

IF anyone has been through any academy and doesn't mind, I'd like to know if you can let me know of the following:
    1) how are the testing procedures like? Is it like college where they just lecture you and give out tests? Difficulty level (HS? College?,etc.)
    2) Are the tests usually multiple choice or other styles?
    3) How often are the exams? Once a week? Daily?
    4) How many questions are usually on the tests?
    5) Are the test schedules set? Like every Friday or is it more like a POP-Quiz/Test type of thing?

Any additional feedback will be greatly appreciated!

I'm not looking for any answers, but just some inputs and tips, so I can be prepared mentally and know what to prepare for.

Again, thanks all in advance!

Already answered.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      Already answered.
      ?

Comment

Perhaps you should take your very specific question to the California sub forum.
        Originally posted by RSGSRT
        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by BKBKBK View Post
          Hi All,

I apologize in advance if this is a repeat post.

I'm thinking about putting my self through the OCSA (OC Sheriff's Academy, CA) and had
          some questions about the academic part of it.

IF anyone has been through any academy and doesn't mind,
          Haven't been to any CA academies, but I'll tell you about the ones I've been to in other states.

1) how are the testing procedures like? Is it like college where they just lecture you and give out tests? Difficulty level (HS? College?,etc.)
          The vast majority of subjects you learn is classroom stuff so yes, you get a lecture and then get the test. Now, it goes without saying that there are hands-on modules such as firearms, defensive tactics, patrol procedures, driving, mechanics of arrest, etc, and those are graded on performance in addition to written tests. Also, you'll likely have a final PT assessment as well. Make sure you stay in shape and do some form of exercise outside the academy (but nothing too extreme).

The first academy I went to was a part time/reserve officer academy. The tests were extremely easy. My current academy's academics are pretty easy, but the tests are very difficult. You have to study a LOT. Even then, passing the tests are not as much about finding just the correct answers as they are about finding which answer among all correct answers is the MOST correct. I'd say it's about college level difficulty, though not exactly MIT or Ivy League.

2) Are the tests usually multiple choice or other styles?
          With the exception of skill tests, every test I've had in both academies has been multiple choice.

In my first academy, we had I think 5 tests in our 240 hour program. I'm in a roughly 800 hour program and we have about 25 tests, including skill tests. I'm in a night program, so the test schedule varies; we have stretches where we have a test every single week for 3 to 4 weeks straight, but usually tests are about every two weeks. Our academy is about 16 hours a week for almost a year. The day class has about 40 hours a week for a little under 6 months. From what I've seen, they have a test almost every single week.

We have 25, 50, and 100 question tests. I think only about 1 or 2 of our tests were 100 questions, and we've already finished one. 75 is the minimum score.

5) Are the test schedules set? Like every Friday or is it more like a POP-Quiz/Test type of thing?
          That may vary from academy to academy. In school, teachers can get away with that because if you fail a pop quiz, big deal. It's usually only a few points and so long as you pass the big, scheduled exams, you'll still pass the class. In our academy, 2 failures, you're gone, no appeal, end of discussion, no refunds if you're a self-sponsor. As a result, we're given our entire academy schedule, beginning to end, at the beginning of the year, test dates and all. For us, tests are usually on Thursdays (as we have Friday off). Again, that may vary.
          Last edited by GangGreen712; 03-12-2015, 10:44 AM.
          "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
          -Chris Rock

Comment

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
            Haven't been to any CA academies, but I'll tell you about the ones I've been to in other states.

The vast majority of subjects you learn is classroom stuff so yes, you get a lecture and then get the test. Now, it goes without saying that there are hands-on modules such as firearms, defensive tactics, patrol procedures, driving, mechanics of arrest, etc, and those are graded on performance in addition to written tests. Also, you'll likely have a final PT assessment as well. Make sure you stay in shape and do some form of exercise outside the academy (but nothing too extreme).

The first academy I went to was a part time/reserve officer academy. The tests were extremely easy. My current academy's academics are pretty easy, but the tests are very difficult. You have to study a LOT. Even then, passing the tests are not as much about finding just the correct answers as they are about finding which answer among all correct answers is the MOST correct. I'd say it's about college level difficulty, though not exactly MIT or Ivy League.

With the exception of skill tests, every test I've had in both academies has been multiple choice.

In my first academy, we had I think 5 tests in our 240 hour program. I'm in a roughly 800 hour program and we have about 25 tests, including skill tests. I'm in a night program, so the test schedule varies; we have stretches where we have a test every single week for 3 to 4 weeks straight, but usually tests are about every two weeks. Our academy is about 16 hours a week for almost a year. The day class has about 40 hours a week for a little under 6 months. From what I've seen, they have a test almost every single week.

We have 25, 50, and 100 question tests. I think only about 1 or 2 of our tests were 100 questions, and we've already finished one. 75 is the minimum score.

That may vary from academy to academy. In school, teachers can get away with that because if you fail a pop quiz, big deal. It's usually only a few points and so long as you pass the big, scheduled exams, you'll still pass the class. In our academy, 2 failures, you're gone, no appeal, end of discussion, no refunds if you're a self-sponsor. As a result, we're given our entire academy schedule, beginning to end, at the beginning of the year, test dates and all. For us, tests are usually on Thursdays (as we have Friday off). Again, that may vary.
            I really appreciate the input. I now know what to expect and hoping that I'll come out with great results! Thank you very much.

Comment

I have attended a CA academy, so this is based on my experiences.

1) What are the testing procedures like? Is it like college, where you listen to lectures and administer tests? What is the difficulty level? High School? College?
              There are over 40 "learning domains" covering varying topics and of varying lengths. Many of these LDs have state mandated and created tests which every student must take. The tests, in my experience, usually were scheduled a few days after the LD was over. The tests are of a minimum of a high school level.

2) Are the tests multiple choice or other styles?
              The state mandated tests are multiple choice and either taken on a computer or using Scantron sheets. The report writing LD requires students to write a number of mock reports. In the academy I went to, these were based on scenarios that students participated in. The reports are either handwritten or computer generated, depending on the academy's policies.

Students may take several tests in one day, on a daily basis, or on a weekly basis. It depends on the schedule the individual academy has created and what LDs were previously learned about.

It shouldn't matter how many questions there are. Discussing the details of the individual tests is unethical and illegal. You will be given an appropriate amount of time to complete the test.

5) Are the test schedules set?
              For the most part, yes. They are included in the academy's schedule.

These answers are mainly geared towards the state mandated tests. The academy may choose to use additional tests using different formats. For example, my academy had several mandatory tests and pop-quizzes in addition to the state tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post
                I have attended a CA academy, so this is based on my experiences.

1) What are the testing procedures like? Is it like college, where you listen to lectures and administer tests? What is the difficulty level? High School? College?
                There are over 40 "learning domains" covering varying topics and of varying lengths. Many of these LDs have state mandated and created tests which every student must take. The tests, in my experience, usually were scheduled a few days after the LD was over. The tests are of a minimum of a high school level.

2) Are the tests multiple choice or other styles?
                The state mandated tests are multiple choice and either taken on a computer or using Scantron sheets. The report writing LD requires students to write a number of mock reports. In the academy I went to, these were based on scenarios that students participated in. The reports are either handwritten or computer generated, depending on the academy's policies.

Students may take several tests in one day, on a daily basis, or on a weekly basis. It depends on the schedule the individual academy has created and what LDs were previously learned about.

It shouldn't matter how many questions there are. Discussing the details of the individual tests is unethical and illegal. You will be given an appropriate amount of time to complete the test.

5) Are the test schedules set?
                For the most part, yes. They are included in the academy's schedule.

These answers are mainly geared towards the state mandated tests. The academy may choose to use additional tests using different formats. For example, my academy had several mandatory tests and pop-quizzes in addition to the state tests.
                Thank you for the informative answer.

I had one more question.

Besides the daily/weekly tests. Are there midterms/finals? Some type of cumulative test at the end?

Comment

In California there is a Mid-Term and a Final POST LD test.

Comment

Police Academy: http://youtu.be/eojIQux_j_8

Comment

There are traditional multiple choice tests then there are topics covered that have a written test which isn't really graded, the skills portion is graded much more. Typical examples of what I am talking about are: use of firearms, driving or EVOC, first aid/CPR, and defensive tactics.

The "academics" are not too hard. Some of topics can get uncomfortable but you want to learn to be a cop right‽
                      semper destravit

Comment

My opinion -

The academic portion of the academy teaches you what you need to know on day 1 to (a) not get killed getting in to the car, (b) not break any laws causing you and your FTO grief, hardship, and possible prison time (c) other various pieces of information in specific areas (drug/vice, fingerprint, terrorism and gangs, etc) that you can use as foundation for building more knowledge on. Since the academic portion is not only critical to doing the job effectively, but also keeping you and your department out of big trouble, it's crucial that you learn the material well.

That being said, if you learn the material well, then the types of tests, the structure of tests, the frequency of tests, and the duration of tests - ends up not mattering at all.

Thus ends my opinion

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6994 users online. 179 members and 6815 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X