Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something to keep in mind is that EVA midsoles lose their support after two years and require replacement. Tread also wears down. Some boots like 5.11 have a very short life span and will need replacement. Other boots like Danner, Belleville, Rockey, etc will last a long time regardless of how much you beat the **** out of them. You can send them back in to be re-soled for less than the cost of a new pair. In the Army, we wore Matterhorns and Danner Acadias (we were designated a winter warfare unit so we wore whatever the F we wanted). I knew guys that were on their third re-sole and still running the same upper leather.

Just remember that once you leave the academy, you need to keep your boots clean and polished. You don't have to spit-shine, but clean boots with polish are protected boots that will last a lot longer.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
    -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

what is it exactly that you look for when choosing a good boot? and why switch to a different boot after graduating? (for future references)

Comment

The Academy has pretty unique requirements (the ability to shine the boot). That isn't exactly desired during patrol. I would recommend a good quality boot that holds a sheen (Danner Acadias or a really good quality jump boot). Get a quality pair of inserts if needed, these are usually found at specialty shoe stores. Dr. Scholls are good but not what you are looking for. You will be standing for upwards of 2 or more hours in one session. Paying $300 for a pair good boots that will last you several years is very much a worthwhile expense.

People switch after the Academy because the uniform standard of police departments varies. Some thrive on minutiae and attention to detail while others have a more relaxed outlook and still others view the uniform as an archaic throwback to a more authoritarian era that should be forgotten. Boot choice goes with the above.
        semper destravit

Comment

Danner Acadias are excellent boots. I wore the brown Danners when I was in the Marine Corps and transitioned to a new pair of black ones for law enforcement. A new pair of Danners and some quality inserts will run you about $300 but you will investing in several years worth of wear in that one purchase. I had a pair of S.W.A.T. boots and a pair of 5.11 ATAC's in the academy that both fell apart in 6 months. Once I hit the street, I went back to the Acadias. (the 5.11 ATACs shined really really well, but that's about all they were good for). As other users have stated, Danner will resole them for you. Customer service is stellar. You wont regret your purchase. "I guarantee it". Good luck.
          "There's no such thing as a bad beer.....its only less awesome beer...."

"Liberalism is a mental disorder" - Michael Savage

Comment

I would wait to see what the Academy Staff tells you. For my academy I had to wear Coroframs (the really shiny shoes).
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
            that we are all that stands between
            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

In the past 17 years of wearing boots for a living, I have tried just about every brand and style out there my vote is for the Danner Tachyon, or Nike SFB both polish up very nice and feel like a lightweight running shoe, Danners were so light i felt like they made me walk funny. they are not cheap about 120ish and prob will not last as long as some of the harder soled boots but the comfort is well worth it, I have a pair of both i got at the same time and mix it up during the week and i am going on over a year and they are both in perfect shape.

Comment

What is this polish you speak of? You guys polish your boots?
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                that we are all that stands between
                the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Regardless of what boots you buy, I would recommend two pairs for the academy, assuming that you have the money. One for general use and one for inspections. Shine up the inspection boots to a mirror shine and wear them for inspections only, so that you don't scuff 'em up. Use the other pair for everything else. This will save you lots of time that can be put to better use studying/sleeping/getting yelled at.

It's not a waste of money, because you will definitely go through more than two pairs of boots in the course of your career.

EDIT: I have a pair of Acadias myself, I see lots of people showing love to them, but keep in mind that they are ****ing heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chomp View Post
                    Regardless of what boots you buy, I would recommend two pairs for the academy, assuming that you have the money. One for general use and one for inspections. Shine up the inspection boots to a mirror shine and wear them for inspections only, so that you don't scuff 'em up. Use the other pair for everything else. This will save you lots of time that can be put to better use studying/sleeping/getting yelled at.

It's not a waste of money, because you will definitely go through more than two pairs of boots in the course of your career.

EDIT: I have a pair of Acadias myself, I see lots of people showing love to them, but keep in mind that they are ****ing heavy.
                    That's because they are: 1) real boots not tennis shoes masquerading as boots and 2) made in the USA.

I second getting two pairs of boots. Keep in mind that the Academy Staff knows this game and has been known to purposefully hold some boot destroying event immediately after an inspection (and not giving you any time to change boots). So be prepared to restore the immaculate condition of your "inspection only" boots.
                    semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by SmallCityCop View Post
                      For my academy I had to wear Coroframs (the really shiny shoes).
                      There were no shoe requirements when I went to the academy. When we stood for inspection I was between two pairs of Corfam shoes. No matter well how I shined my leather shoes I could never match that sparkling plastic.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9674 users online. 357 members and 9317 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X