300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT During a typical academy

What is PT like for the average police academy?

I lost a ton of weight to get into shape for testing a few years ago, and it just went on from there. I wake up at 5 AM and hit the gym hard for at least 2.5 hours 6 days a week.

Think I'd be able to pull off a powerlifting routine on top of all the PT? I do cardio 6x a week on top of my powerlifting. I'm not in fantastic running shape anymore, but I used to run 12 miles a day so it's relatively easy for me to pull off a 12:30 - 13 minute two mile run.

So far I am under the impression that it'll be pretty easy for me to pull it off, but I wanted to hear your experiences!

There is no "Typical"

Every academy has it's own way of doing things
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

When in the academy you have to be more concerned about injury. I like to lift as well, but while in the academy I did very little on my own except some light running on the weekend. I know, when done properly, power lifting is very safe. However, if you are injured in the academy you may be recycled into a different class or terminated all together, especially if that injury occurred outside of the academy. So even if you could "pull it off" why risk it? Sure the weight you're pushing and pulling may go down, but I would rather lose some weight off my 1 rep max than lose my job.

While all academies are different. Most of the PT we did involves running and body weight exercises. Our academy has gone to some more crossfit type stuff, but that is mainly because some of the instructors are really into it. Even so, push ups, air squats, running etc. still makes up most of the PT they do.
      Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
      To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbird543 View Post
        When in the academy you have to be more concerned about injury. I like to lift as well, but while in the academy I did very little on my own except some light running on the weekend. I know, when done properly, power lifting is very safe. However, if you are injured in the academy you may be recycled into a different class or terminated all together, especially if that injury occurred outside of the academy. So even if you could "pull it off" why risk it? Sure the weight you're pushing and pulling may go down, but I would rather lose some weight off my 1 rep max than lose my job.

While all academies are different. Most of the PT we did involves running and body weight exercises. Our academy has gone to some more crossfit type stuff, but that is mainly because some of the instructors are really into it. Even so, push ups, air squats, running etc. still makes up most of the PT they do.
        Pretty much covers it. I'd like to stress again though... If you get hurt outside the academy on your own time, it's on you.

Comment

What you are ready for is based on what you are physically and mentally capable of. To start with, you sound like you're pretty much going to be fine and won't have any issues PHYSICALLY.
          The name of the game in any academy is MENTAL. You have to be mentally strong and capable of putting up with stress. You have to be capable of experiencing the pain and pushing through the pain while being yelled at. You have to be willing to push through the discomfort so that you don't cause others to pay for you not being able to do it. Conversely, you have to understand that there will be people in your academy that aren't in great physical shape and who only barely made it in with regards to the physical standards. These guys/girls may wind up making you guys pay for their lack physical ability, and you may wind up doing more pushups or planks or squat thrusts or whatever because they can't keep up. You need to mentally be able to keep doing it while either A.) keeping your mouth shut and suffering in silence, or B.) keeping motivation and encouraging the classmate. Whatever you do, don't turn on the classmate openly (and only do so in private after they continue to regularly f-k up and don't change/improve).
          Be more certain that you are going to do whatever it takes to pass anything. In our academy we had a hill we had to run up and down, and it was a beast that went down to a river bottom and back up. We had to run it in formation and we had to run it while guys who earlier f-cked up stood at the position of attention at the bottom and watched us do laps on it. We had to pay for their mistakes. We did it, and we never complained about it because we had great cohesion. The biggest factor was never quitting and always giving it our all. It didn't matter how slow we went, it only mattered that we kept our legs moving and never gave up. That's what you need to be capable of doing. Academies don't necessarily always seek ABILITY, but moreso they seek EFFORT. You can be in great shape and be just a PT stud, but if you give up once, you're branded as a quitter. In contrast, you can be the slow recruit with no physical ability, but as long as you always give 100% and never quit, you'll succeed.

In terms of getting injured, it's all about what your body will take. As others have stated, you have to protect yourself from injury. We had several guys leave the academy with injuries, and they get stuck at the front desk of whichever precinct they get assigned to. They don't start FTO until they're cleared for regular duty and put back on the street. This only happens if you pass the PT test at the beginning of the academy (we take one at the beginning, and if you don't pass, you have to pass one at the end to graduate the academy). Other agencies may recycle you.

Running may be fine, but lifting may be dangerous. In contrast, you can be like me and be at greater risk from running than from lifting weights. Work within the limitations of your body. Know that you may be pushed beyond your comfort zone, but be cognizent of your limitations.
          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
          -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Reedo pretty much said it all. I'm not LE, but I was military and this is exactly what happens, although LE academies are toned down just a notch compared to the Marines. (At least 10+ years ago) Be the guy that the instructors notice for good reasons. Even if you try your best to avoid f ing up by staying in the background, you will eventually get yelled at and even ridiculed. Don't take it personally, just say yes sir and keep pressing on. And make sure you sound off at all times

Comment

The goal is to graduate and get POST certified. Being a PT stud is nice, but if you don't graduate you've failed regardless.

You SOUND like you should do fine in PT. Don't push TOO hard. Don't risk injury.

We did Crossfit style workouts. Very little pure running.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Hey man I'm thinking about going to an academy soon in FL and your post was exactly what I've been told by a few different LEO's down here. Just gotta give it my all. Thanks. ^^^ Reedo

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8518 users online. 429 members and 8089 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X