300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• work history/taxes

Hi Everyone. I apologize if this has been asked before, but i am getting worried that I might have set myself up for failure and I would really appreciate some input.

I have for the last 10 years been working for my families small struggling construction company. As such, i have not been getting paid legitimate checks, nor have I been filing consistent tax returns. Don't get me wrong, I don't make that much money, and while working for the company I have been putting myself through school.

I guess i'm just curious what I should do. I have filed for the last 3 years. and up until 2007. So there was maybe 4 years in there that I didn't file. I realize now how stupid I was for doing so, but I was just trying to do what was best for the company... i mean, its my fathers livelihood. Anyways, the rest of my application is good i think. I am an army reservist, I have a DoD secret clearance, I have a degree from a top 10 public university with a 3.71 gpa, and a internship with the DEA. I'm just so scared this tax thing is going to sink me.

Should I file amended tax returns for what I think I made those years and just be completely honest in my BI's? Honestly any help would be appreciated. I apologize for my rant.

You should definitely make an effort to make things right by paying your taxes. Go to your county clerks office and explain the situation. They should be able to help you set things straight.

Obviously when it's the worst thing you've done as an individual, you're going to think it's the worst thing in the world. You obviously know it wasn't the right thing to do, so do what you can to fix it.

Lastly, be 100% honest about it with the BI. I had things in my background that I thought would just absolutely wash away my chances, but turned out not to be as big of a deal as I made it seem. You just have to be honest and except the outcome for what it is.

It's one thing to be questioned later about something you forgot to disclose. But since you have already brought it up here, than there should be no question that you need to disclose it on your background.

Good luck and stay positive.

Comment

I suggest you contact a tax professional. One who can deal effectively for you with the IRS,plus any state/local tax liabilities you might have. There are fees involved, but they could be well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        I suggest you contact a tax professional. One who can deal effectively for you with the IRS,plus any state/local tax liabilities you might have. There are fees involved, but they could be well worth it.
        and an attorney
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Hey thank you all for the replies. All I can do is be honest. I spoke with my accountant and am going to file for the 3 years I didn't. Mind you it was only about 10k a year but I still need to do it. Then, like I said, just be honest moving forward. I have a strong application.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13395 users online. 460 members and 12935 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X