Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by colbypickering View Post
    Hey,
    I'm thinking about going to the Academy in a little over a year and I only have one thing that keeps nagging me in the back of my mind: my size. I'm 5'10" and right now I weigh about 135. Some of the LE that I see in Southwest Fl(Ft. Myers area) are the biggest guys around. I'm working out a lot trying to put on some weight and muscle, but I was wondering how much physical size really matters in daily LE jobs. Thanks.
    Last edited by BNWS; 02-13-2015, 07:58 PM.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, the local SO here doesn't have a height requirement......but I was just wondering about weight. It seems like I'm having the hardest time getting to 140 lbs. I just wondered about much it really mattered in daily assignments.
      It depends. It is always easier to talk people into cuffs, ala "Verbal Judo". But you will run into suspects who have a lifetime of being bullies, since they are 6' 3" 300# like in Ferguson. Or the Alpha-male (or female) who does not respect authority.

Comment

Focus on being the best that you can be. Ignore the scale and work on getting strong and fast.
        Google "Stronglifts 5x5" great weight lifting program that focuses on 5 lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, barbell row and overhead press). It's a great program, simple to follow and you will make big gains in strength. I have been using it since November and have seen nice gains.
        Also try searching the "Health and Fitness" sub-forum here. There are a lot of knowledgeable people there (both officers and civilians). Best of luck. Feel free to PM if you have any questions on Stronglifts.
        Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
        To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, the local SO here doesn't have a height requirement......but I was just wondering about weight. It seems like I'm having the hardest time getting to 140 lbs. I just wondered about much it really mattered in daily assignments.
          Whats bigger, a pitbull or a great dane? Now, which would you rather have protecting you??

when I'm going into a bad situation, I'd rather have a little guy behind me with the mindset that he can knock out any s.o.b. he has to, then some huge guy who's scared to get dirty. Its all mental...win the fight!
          VIRES VIRTUS MORES

Comment

There's a Knoxville PD officer who's about 5' nuthin. He can kick the top of door jambs and is consistently patrols the rougher neighborhoods where the "Big guys" gon't wanna go.

Also, just for gee whiz effect, most of our special operators are around 5'8" and 5'9".

GO FOR IT!!!
            trust your dog

Comment

Referring to the comments... does the same go for someone who is larger? I am 6'3 about 305 and I've been running trying to lose some weight but I was looking at what the academy for the agency I plan on applying for consists of and some of the physical things they do in the academy I have never been able to do in that amount of time. Example it says come able to run 3 miles without stopping in 27 minutes. I know I can get to that range because I ran 8 minute miles in high school but that was 50 lbs ago.

Comment

I am 6'3 about 305 and I've been running trying to lose some weight
                You can't out exercise a bad diet. Too many calories IN and you can't loose weight even if you exercise all day.

It takes something like 2 hours of heavy exercise to work off a Snickers bar.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much about weight itself, it can even come in handy in this profession.

What you need is fitness. If you can DO the 3 mile run in 27, who cares what you weigh? Obviously it will be easier at 250 than 300, but if you can do it at 300 good for you.

Modification of diet is important to give your body the things it needs to get fit and recover from workouts. You need carbs for energy, but they should be complex carbs for the most part. You need protein to build muscle and recover from workouts. You NEED some fats to provide sustained energy for endurance.

I'd suggest a carb/fat/protein percentage of 30/30/40. Focus on raw fruits and veggies for the carbs, and lean meats for the protein and fat. Eat 3 square meals per day... AVOID PROCESSED SUGAR. Use honey as a sweetener, sparingly. Eat carrots, oranges or an apple if you get hungry. Nobody ever got fat eating raw fresh fruit. You can use a good quality shake for post workout recovery but otherwise avoid processed foods.

Drink a gallon of water per day. Get a quart bottle or whatever and fill it 4x/day. Carry it around with you, and learn where all the bathrooms are. Hydration is vital, especially if you try the Bikram Yoga suggested below, and it will help you feel full.

If you really want results, go full paleo and add an extra meal after your workout instead of a workout shake. IF you workout as suggested below, don't worry about your calorie count. If you're hungry, eat a carrot. Who cares how many calories it has? IF you're eating raw fruits, veggies and lean meats AND working out 6x/wk you'll become fit. The weight will take care of itself.

For your workouts focus on functional strength, endurance and flexibility. _MY_ personal suggestion is Crossfit 3x/wk and Bikram Yoga 3x/wk, alternating days. Leave yourself one full day per week for rest. If you can do that regimen for six months straight it doesn't matter what you eat, you'll be ready for an academy. Combine it with a health diet as above and you'll be set for life. Start slow, work your way up, form a good foundation. Starting off too fast can result in over-training or outright injury.

As you become more fit you can throw in cross training days. Run, bike or swim once in a while. Rock climbing, a sprint mud run, whatever. Start using your fitness to enjoy life and activities you probably can't do now. It will help ingrain the habits of a healthy lifestyle. You have to be fit and healthy to be a cop, to survive the stress and the activity... and inactivity... but being fit and healthy just leads to greater enjoyment of life no matter what your profession.
                Last edited by tanksoldier; 02-22-2015, 03:44 AM.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by hello508 View Post
                  Referring to the comments... does the same go for someone who is larger? I am 6'3 about 305 and I've been running trying to lose some weight but I was looking at what the academy for the agency I plan on applying for consists of and some of the physical things they do in the academy I have never been able to do in that amount of time. Example it says come able to run 3 miles without stopping in 27 minutes. I know I can get to that range because I ran 8 minute miles in high school but that was 50 lbs ago.
                  I'm a big dude too. I went into the academy big and if I could have done anything differently it would have been to go in my best shape, not just minimum standards shape. Believe me, you will have a much better time if you go in prepared physically. Within the last year I have been taking my health much more seriously than I did in the past. What I found with working out is that I have to do something that I enjoy. I like to lift weights, I played football in high school and college (OL/DL) and that is where I found a love for lifting heavy weights. As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I have found that Stronglifts 5x5 works really well for me. I also swim and bike to get some cardio in. If you like crossfit, do it, if you like to lift or run or swim do that. The thing is that if you don't like it, it will be hard to keep that motivation up to keep doing it. The best program in the world won't do anything for you if you don't do it. In any case what Tanksoldier said about diet is gospel. You can't outwork a bad diet, believe me I have tried and it doesn't work. If you are working out you are going to want (and need) to eat, they key is to eat good food. One final piece of advice; Ignore the scale focus on inches and strength/endurance.

Comment

Stronglifts 5x5
                    I'm actually thinking about trying Stronglifts. I've heard good things about it, and the part of Crossfit I enjoy the most is the Oly lifts.

Still need to work flexibility and cardio in too.

Ignore the scale focus on inches and strength/endurance.
                    Yep. If you can run what you need to run (and a bit more) lift what you need to lift and fight who you need to fight, the scale is irrelevant. Get strong and fit, the scale will say what it says.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

A squad mate of mine who is into crossfit got me into Stronglifts. He is more into crossfit football, which I guess has more of a focus on heavy weight. There is a free app and it is really easy to follow. The app tells you to start with the bar but if you've been lifting for a while and know what you are doing you can start with some weight on the bar. I used 75% of my 1 rep max.

Comment

Ya last year I would play basketball about 4 hours a day and lost 20-30 lbs in 2 months then I had pretty bad sprain and hairline fracture in one ankle and 2 months later I tore ligaments and a tendon in my ankle which required surgery so I have been struggling with finding something I love to do since I know that one more injury like that to my ankle and it could really screw me so I can't really play basketball anymore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11960 users online. 449 members and 11511 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X