Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about going to the Academy

Hey,
    I'm thinking about going to the Academy in a little over a year and I only have one thing that keeps nagging me in the back of my mind: my size. I'm 5'10" and right now I weigh about 135. Some of the LE that I see in Southwest Fl(Ft. Myers area) are not the biggest guys around. I'm working out a lot trying to put on some weight and muscle, but I was wondering how much physical size really matters in daily LE jobs. Thanks.
    Last edited by colbypickering; 02-21-2015, 04:14 PM.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

I'm 5'6", 180... I'm a little guy...but I can hang with the best of them.

Have you applied to any agency?
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
      that we are all that stands between
      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

One of our female corporals is probably 5-foot-even and 130 lbs. When I sit in a chair I'm literally as tall as she is standing up.

Is she the first choice to send in on an extraction? No, but she finds a way to get the job done when she has to.

That's what you need before anything else: the mindset that you'll be victorious.

If you don't believe in you, nothing else matters.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by SmallCityCop View Post
          I'm 5'6", 180... I'm a little guy...but I can hang with the best of them.

Have you applied to any agency?
          LITTLE ! that's next to chunky

I was 5'7" 140lbs for the majority of my career............added a few pounds bout the time I hit 30 yrs in ...........

I only have made it 38+ years and still have all my facial features in the same place they were when I started
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Iowa is now 5'5, and 240..!
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I have 2 possibilities for internships right now.....Cape Coral PD and Lee County Sheriff's Office. So if I get an internship with one of those, at least I'll have my foot in the door.....it's a start.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                Iowa is now 5'5, and 240..!
                I haven't gained THAT much..................but quitting smoking DID add a few pounds.

No shrinkage yet
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It's not the size that matters but how you use it.
                  Originally posted by RSGSRT
                  We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                  Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                    It's not the size that matters but how you use it.
                    Kind of like its not the size of the boat that matters, but the motion in the ocean????

Comment

Originally posted by tj05 View Post
                      Kind of like its not the size of the boat that matters, but the motion in the ocean????
                      That's what my wife tells me....
                      Originally posted by RSGSRT
                      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Nothing wrong with a little chunky...
                        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                        that we are all that stands between
                        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I was 5'8 and around 150 when I was hired over ten years ago. I'm now around 180, but am working on scaling down to 160 or so. The local PDs here don't have a stated height requirement, but they rarely hire any males under 6ft. Most of the women you'll see in uniform here are petite and under 5'6. I know one who is - I kid you not - 4'11 and around 100lbs. The only men around my height wearing a uniform are working Federal LE or for county Sheriffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Waffles1981 View Post
                            I was 5'8 and around 150 when I was hired over ten years ago. I'm now around 180, but am working on scaling down to 160 or so. The local PDs here don't have a stated height requirement, but they rarely hire any males under 6ft. Most of the women you'll see in uniform here are petite and under 5'6. I know one who is - I kid you not - 4'11 and around 100lbs. The only men around my height wearing a uniform are working Federal LE or for county Sheriffs.
                            To the best of my knowledge, the local SO here doesn't have a height requirement......but I was just wondering about weight. It seems like I'm having the hardest time getting to 140 lbs. I just wondered about much it really mattered in daily assignments.

Comment

I used to be 6', 150 pounds.

Started training with a routine for the academy, and I'm now 177 lbs. Just find a routine that works (maybe consult a personal trainer).

Best of luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12712 users online. 496 members and 12216 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X