300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Safety Testing Average scores???? Washington State

I was wondering if anyone could give me some idea of what a good and bad written examination test score would be on the new 2014 Public Safety Tests? I am applying to departments in Washington State and was told in order to receive an oral board interview, my scores must be in the top 25 of applicants. I have found some posts from 2008 about test scores between 75% and 85% being satisfactory to receive an invitation but I was wondering if anyone has recently taken the test like I have this past December. Any help would be great. For the record I received an 87.7% on the written and scored a max score on 3 out of 4 events on the PAT.

Startt

It honestly really depends on the applicant pool. In a civil service atmosphere, it is not uncommon to have to score a 90 or better to have a good chance of making it further in the application process. Obviously the higher you score, the better your chances.

I am not sure how your area does its scoring. Some do it by raw percentages, and would go from your 87.7 score. Around here, they proceed in increments of 5, So the 95-100's would be canvased first, then the 90-95's, and so on.

Departments rarely look for "just satisfactory" however. No one here will likely be able to tell you whether your score is competitive or not in that particular area. Unfortunately all you can do now is wait. Best of luck to you.

Comment

The PAT doesn't matter as long as you pass. It all come down to the written. Most agencies on PST require you to be above 85 to be competitive. If you score lower, you may be waiting awhile for an agency to contact you.

Comment

I've heard Renton doesn't touch anyone that scores under 90. It'll be different for every agency.

Comment

Sumner posts their received scores online, which allows you to get a pretty good idea about what average scores are.

http://ci.sumner.wa.us/wp-content/up.../PD-1-8-15.pdf

Comment

My department has hired individuals with scores ranging from 81%-98% over the last 12 months. Some were military and received preference points. I haven't seen the Civil service eligibility list within the last few months, but at my department, most people who score over 75% are sent a pre-interview questionnaire, if they pass that, they are invited to the next testing step, which is a video and preliminary oral board. If you pass these you are then placed on our civil service list. The scores from each portion of the testing are combined to determine where you are on the list. Passing the PAT is not considered in the scoring, it is pass/fail.
            Washington's setup with Public Safety and the National Testing network is interesting.

That Sumner eligibility list should be telling on where you will end up on most lists, if they only use the PST score.

Comment

I'm interested in taking the PST for WA area departments. Would it be worthwhile for an out of state applicant to go through with the PST and apply with departments in Washington? I understand multiple trips are sometimes required during the application process. Thanks if anyone can provide advice.

Comment

Originally posted by MR27 View Post
                I'm interested in taking the PST for WA area departments. Would it be worthwhile for an out of state applicant to go through with the PST and apply with departments in Washington? I understand multiple trips are sometimes required during the application process. Thanks if anyone can provide advice.
                Only you can decide if it's worthwhile. There are multiple agencies who have condensed the application process for out of state applications so fewer trips are required.
                "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8671 users online. 342 members and 8329 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X