300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overweight/not in shape

the city of Miami is opening up their application soon, and I'm going to apply.

I'm horribly overweight and not in shape at all. I started working out on Monday, but the gym is kicking my ***.

should I even bother applying if I'm in this bad physical condition?

Apply, you probably won't make it anyway... but it will give you experience with the process and motivation. Most hiring processes take several months. If you're diligent you should get into fair shape in six to nine months.

You should be in reasonably good shape regardless of your profession, but it is critical for peace officers (all the "Officer Bag O'Doughnuts" you see out there notwithstanding).

Get with an organized program (Crossfit, boot camp, whatever) that has an instructor who can help you progress without injuring yourself and offer other advice.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I'm not a police officer so I can't speak to your question directly, but in my own search for motivation/guidance I happened upon this post a weeks ago and thought I might share it with you in hopes you can draw some inspiration from it: http://forums.officer.com/t173176/

On a personal note, I'll be attending an academy in less than 2 weeks and while I consider myself in good physical condition, running is not among my strong suits. However, I like to think if the gentleman in the above mentioned post was able to meet his goals and lose 45bs doing so then surely I can meet my own goals if I want this badly enough. Best of luck to you, and I hope that post helps.
      Once more into the fray
      Into the last good fight I'll ever know
      Live or die on this day
      Live or die on this day

Comment

I would say no.

In California the first two tests are written & physical agility.

If you didn't have that & were to go to an interview, they will ask what you have been doing (past tense) to prepare for the job. There are too many applicants who are ready to go so my guess is that they would pass you over.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
          I would say no.

In California the first two tests are written & physical agility.

If you didn't have that & were to go to an interview, they will ask what you have been doing (past tense) to prepare for the job. There are too many applicants who are ready to go so my guess is that they would pass you over.
          This is pretty good advice. I know in most police agencies across the country these are the first 2 steps. If your dedicated it should only take you 3 months to really get into decent shape. Work your tail off and when you feel like your in good shape then apply. Until then all your doing is wasting time and gas money by applying to agencies.
          Last edited by tj05 ; 01-08-2015, 11:51 AM.

Comment

FWIW the test I took for my county PD was the written test first, then a little over a year later came the physical. I think it really depends on the speed that the department processes at and your motivation. If you really want it, you need to work for it. Like others said above, get with an organized program or a buddy who goes to the gym and get a consistent schedule going.

Don't question whether or not you CAN, just go out and do it. Good luck.
            MTAPD
            Physical: 6/4
            Panel: 6/15
            BI: 8/24

SCPD
            Score: 95
            Lotto: 24xx

Comment

I wouldn't apply until you can meet and exceed the minimum physical requirements. As has been said on this forum many times, the physical agility test is the bare minimum - the academy will be a hell of a lot harder. Trust me on this one. You DO NOT want to be struggling physically in the academy. It's stressful enough without having the stress of not being physically ready. Being unprepared can lead to injuries or aggravate old injuries as you try to catch up with the rest of the class. You DO NOT want to fail due to your physical ability. You DO NOT want to be the one that falls behind all the time causing the rest of the class to be punished.

Take the time to get in shape - be able to run several miles without stopping at a good pace (10 mins/mile) - and be able to easily pass the agility test.

Just my 2 cents.
              Last edited by Aerohead; 01-08-2015, 10:55 AM.
              Originally posted by RSGSRT
              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

You have a goal, it's your job to get there safely. No doubt you did not get into terrible shape, overnight; so the "fix" won't happen overnight either. I applaud you for starting. I wish you the best in your efforts. That job, or another cop job, will still be there at perhaps your half-way point and you can start the paperwork as you continue toward your goal.

In addition to being a recovering alcoholic, I'm also a compulsive overeater. I've maintained over 30 years of sobriety but food always has a way of working it's dark sorcery in me, convincing me I need/want/desire more than I should. I'm in AA three days a week. In don't get to Overeaters Anonymous (OA) meetings....mmm, maybe that's a clue?
                "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by hernandez.amie View Post
                  the city of Miami is opening up their application soon, and I'm going to apply.

I'm horribly overweight and not in shape at all. I started working out on Monday, but the gym is kicking my ***.

should I even bother applying if I'm in this bad physical condition?
                  Good advice from all. It's on you.. How Bad Do You Want It? If you want it, you will be amazed what you can do if you put your mind into it.
                  MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Amie, here's my thought/suggestion for you. Take another look at each reply my colleagues have offered you. There's not a bad thought in the bunch. Believe it or not, Hollywood (the movies) history is kind of a hobby for me. I tell you that in order to tell you this.

In the late thirties, early forties, there was an actor named Laird Cregar. He was one hell of a good actor, was getting some really good roles, and beginning to make some decent bucks. He was also considerably overweight, almost 300 pounds as I recall. Anyway, he went on what we'd call today, a crash diet. No medical advice, no real training regimen etc. Long story short, he died of a massive heart attack.

What I'd take home from that is some caution on your part. If you have a personal physician, get with him/her, get some advice on weight loss. If your doctor allows it, get into a good gym or fitness program. There are some great ones out there. As, one of my colleagues noted, it took some time for you to become overweight/out of shape. It's going to take some time to become physically fit once more.

Additionally, you may have the problem of keeping the unwanted pounds off. Of course, you'll need to work through your current problem, before you have that one. The very best of luck in your efforts.

Comment

All these guys have great advice. 4 years ago I was about 321lbs. Now I'm 235lbs (and 6'4 so it works for me) and 4 weeks from graduation. Your tone suggests that you're already accepting defeat, that's not good. If you really want it, deep down like I did and still do, you do what it takes. Just do it safely and properly, be patient, if it takes a few months or a few years, keep at it. Build into it. Diet, mixed with exercise and attitude. You have be positive, if you're anything like me, you have what I call the "big guy mindset" and unless you change that you can't make any real change. It's 95% mental. You think weight loss is hard? The academy will blow you away. I just want to let you know it CAN be done. You can PM me if you have any questions, the biggest part is to give it your all and get through those mental barriers.
                      "What we do in life, echoes in eternity"

Comment

I am in a similar situation. But I have decided that I will get in shape and get physically fit. at 5'11" and 290 I have a ways to go.

But I want this bad enough that I will get it done. Good luck!

Comment

I need to practice for the Army 2 miler (DASG), but finding the motivation....
                          Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                          Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

I must offer that its not all about running during the physical either. There is also usually pushups and situps during the physical agility tests. Here in Arizona most departments requirements are:

1.5 Mile- in under 14-16 minutes.
                            Pushups- 25-30 in 1 minute.
                            Situps 32-40 in 1 minute.

I can not believe how many males and females show up and can't even do 5-10 pushups when it specifically says you must do more than 25 to pass. Same with situps or the 1.5 mile run. If you can't do it before the test then I would recommend on getting in shape and proving to yourself that you can pass the requirements. Most departments test 2 times a year around here so you have time to get yourself into shape!

Like others said if you want to you can make it happen. Its all mental at first but once you see some difference in your abilities you will be hooked on it and will reach your goal! Make sure to set goals! Good Luck!

Comment

Motivation = NOT working at a MacDonald's at 40!
                              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                              that we are all that stands between
                              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13432 users online. 474 members and 12958 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X