300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling short changed by my academy's PT

Before joining the academy, I read on here and on other websites of the hellish PT that the police academy provides. Never being the most physically fit person myself, I rather looked forward to it. I started running and working out for months in advance (going from never running unless necessary to being able to run miles in under 10 minutes)... well, I just finished PT at my academy (which by the way is at a state college) which ended up being 8 weeks of 2 hrs per day (after 2 hrs of DT). With that PT, students were given the option to go run or to do P90x. I chose the latter because it incorporated strength and cardio simultaneously. Don't get me wrong, it was a great work out that had me sore, sweaty and tired but I feel like based on these other posts about running x miles a day throughout the academy, I missed out.

I had stopped training outside of the academy because of time constraints but will be picking it back up starting this coming Monday as I am entering the hiring process and don't want to suffer in the department's PT/DT... but I'm just wondering if this kind of block schedule PT is common in academies? Also, I'm just wondering any tips on training while I'm getting back in that groove. Thanks for all advice!

Yours is standard. There is only so much time for each segment that is required.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesInCharge23 View Post
      B. Don't get me wrong, it was a great work out that had me sore, sweaty and tired but I feel like based on these other posts about running x miles a day throughout the academy, I missed out.
      It depends on the school you took...................but the mission of a POLICE ACADEMY is to train a person the basics of being a cop, not training an Olympic athlete.

There are only so many hours in a training day and the trainers try very hard to give the trainees the skills to keep themselves alive when working the street
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

While PT varies by academy, it is a very small part of the overall training process. The purpose is to turn out reasonably fit officers -- not athletes or bodybuilders.

Comment

The purpose of PT in academy is to get you through the minimal physical aspects of the job. If you go in prepared and in-shape, it should be relatively easy for you. Being fit to the point that academy PT doesn't detract from your academics and overall experience of learning how to be a cop should be the goal. You shouldn't be in academy expecting to come out better prepared for a triathlon.

Comment

You did the right thing by preparing ahead of time. Our workouts were more "crossfit" bodyweight oriented. We didn't run much at all and I was fine with that. Running miles at a time doesn't really coincide with actual police work and just takes up time.

Comment

Thank you all for the info! I just wanted to make sure that I didnt miss out on something or was not taking full advantage. I appreciate the varied perspective. Thanks a lot again!

Comment

Wait a minute...

You are complaining because you didn't have ENOUGH pt?

I seriously hate you.

:-)

Comment

I almost wanna slam you lol - but you did what I wish most would do what you did. Being Prepared- Thank you for doing that.
                  I worked out on my time as well in the academy. Go inshape and the rest is a cake walk
                  MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                    . Go inshape and the rest is a cake walk
                    Round is a shape
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                      I almost wanna slam you lol - but you did what I wish most would do what you did. Being Prepared- Thank you for doing that.
                      I worked out on my time as well in the academy. Go inshape and the rest is a cake walk
                      I'm sorry, all I saw was cake and now that's all I'm thinking about

I've never been the most physically fit but I'm really trying to fix that and I currently have the fitness bug so I am embracing it as best I can.

Thanks fellas!

Comment

I was fortunate to go through an academy that took PT pretty serious. It didn't take an Iron Man to get through the sessions, but it was pretty rigorous for the most part.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6831 users online. 190 members and 6641 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X