Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working out at the gym while attending the Police Academy??

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working out at the gym while attending the Police Academy??

Hello,
    And sorry in advance if this is a repeat thread. I have a question regarding whether or not I should continue working out at the gym with weights (outside of the academy) while attending the police academy. The reason why I ask is, I've gotten mixed reviews on the matter. I have had numerous officers tell me I should workout while attending the academy as it will help better my strength gains which will assist me when I am on the job. Others have told me that I should stay on the 'conveyor belt' as they call it and just ride through during the academy ONLY doing what is instructed in the academy, nothing more nothing less.

I understand that there are risks associated with any workouts I partake in outside of the academy which is why I wanted to gauge the opinions of other officers that have been in the same position in the past.

Thank you for any insight that you may be able to provide on the matter.

Like with anything in life, you can do just enough to get by--the basics, if you will--or you can go above and beyond. Your health is the same. If you feel like you can handle weight workouts and they fit your schedule without detracting from your academics and well-being, I'd suggest doing it. If you're robbing yourself of sleep or study time to do it, I wouldn't recommend it. Listen to your body and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan571 View Post
      Like with anything in life, you can do just enough to get by--the basics, if you will--or you can go above and beyond. Your health is the same. If you feel like you can handle weight workouts and they fit your schedule without detracting from your academics and well-being, I'd suggest doing it. If you're robbing yourself of sleep or study time to do it, I wouldn't recommend it. Listen to your body and you'll be fine.
      Much obliged, I appreciate the input greatly.

Comment

I worked out as well, PT was never an issue and it made everything else easier. I wasn't the best, but I wasn't the worst. I never needed to rest, or fell durning a Plank etc. Keep doing what you do. The PT in the Academy isn't that bad if you're in shape.
        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

What is the policy of the agency and academy?
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

You've gotten good advice and I'll add this....stick with your routine. Don't push a set too far until you have medical insurance but stick with your routine. If you regularly work out then I'd say continue through the academy and don't lose your mindset on it. I mean, imagine...you're working graves and doing 10+hours of OT a week, court, training with the responsibilities of a home life and maybe a sick kid down with the sniffles and after school practices.........you're gonna have a career of 20+ years and if you can't handle staying in shape in the academy how are you gonna do it when you're wearing all that cop junk, too?
            Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
            “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
            “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
            "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
            ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Dont change the positive aspects of your life. The only thing I would suggest is make sure you know the academies policy. The academy I went to, the only thing we could not do outside of the academy was shoot. Example: They didnt want military vets, taking non-shooting experience trainees to the range off duty and teaching them to shoot. If you needed help, they wanted you to contact the range staff, not hook up with a trainee who was prior military and have them teach you outside of the academy.

Depending on where you are, most academy PT is cardio. Not many devote a whole lot of time to walk around the gym lifting. So if you don't of a lot of running normally, you would just have to adjust for that and anticipate any injuries that may come from suddenly starting to do a lot of running.

Comment

Thank you to everyone that replied. I have always been fitness oriented and thoroughly maintain the time in my schedule no matter what to be involved in my fitness routine. I will double check the academy's regulations regarding this and if they have no issues with it, I shall continue doing what I do.

Comment

I'm going to offer a slightly different perspective:

Your primary goal is that POST certification.

Don't do anything to jeopardize that. The class before mine had a guy who skied. Went skiing one weekend and broke his wrist. Had to drop out. Only serious injury he'd ever suffered on the slopes, but it happened during the academy.

It's easy enough to injure yourself with the academy activities, adding additional opportunity to injure yourself should be considered carefully. I almost had to drop out myself 2/3 thru my academy, because my DTAC partner stepped back when I was throwing a punch at a pad he was holding. Popped my elbow. Barely was able to finish DTAC and PT the next several weeks due to the pain. Still hasn't recovered completely.

If you decide to PT outside the require academy PT, be mindful of what you're doing and how you're doing it. You can always recover a little fitness later but restarting the academy because you twisted your ankle on your own time would suck.
                  Last edited by tanksoldier; 12-28-2014, 05:02 PM.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

@TankSoldier

Understood, once again thank you for the solid advice. Thankfully I don't go skiing or any other activities that I would consider more 'high risk'.

I just want to make sure I don't fall off of my fitness schedule and if it can help me excel in the academy/prepare for the real struggles of being on the job, I'd like to stay in such a groove.

Comment

Everyone's advice has been pretty much spot on. My academy ran from July to December, we were lucky enough to get Columbus Day off and other holidays that landed on a Monday. I would usually go for a run and do some similar exercises that we would in PT. During EVOC and DUI weeks we didn't really PT, I went to the gym just keep my fitness up. Good luck in the academy.

Comment

The advice I received when I started Academy in November, if you work out, don't get hurt.
                        Whether you have insurance in Academy or not, if you get hurt outside of work and can't pass the physical requirements at the end of Academy, you don't graduate, end of story.

Some of the guys in my Academy are continuing to work out, personally, I am going to wait until after Academy is over to start back up, and then wait until my full year of probation is over before I start going for gains again.

Just my words
                        Test Results:

NYST Exam 10/19/13
                        Scored 97.57xxxx
                        Ranked 5,104

Onondaga County Exam 4/12/14
                        Scored 85.0
                        Ranked 5 (70 with same rank)
                        Have been offered a job! Academy starts in November!

New York State Campus Public Safety Officer Test
                        Scored 90.0
                        Ranked 66

Comment

When I went thru the LASD Academy almost 45 years ago we had so much PT during the day there was no need for any additional workouts..When we came home after a 8-10 hour day your time was spent hitting the books and preparing your gear for the next day..Every weekend was filled with extra assignments usually working at a ride along at one of our stations..

Also 45 years ago the hitting the weights like people do now was almost unheard of...
                          Last edited by Retired96; 12-31-2014, 09:02 PM.
                          Retired LASD

Comment

Working out at the gym while attending the Police Academy??

Wait and get that certification. Lifting weights, pick up basketball games, extra runs... That all can wait. It's only 5ish months and it's not like you're sitting on your couch. Even if your Academy PT curriculum leaves a lot to be desired it should still be plenty to maintain your health and sanity for 5 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi there, Im already done with all the testing and all paper work. I had my interview with paul kelly but was sent back to retake the CVSA . I did so now it 2015 and it been about another month or two and I havent heard from them. what now?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10867 users online. 438 members and 10429 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X