300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matt60644 View Post
    I did self sponsorship in Georgia and was offered a job while still in the academy, I want to say 3-4 weeks before graduation. I think it is a good idea.
    Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. It's good to hear that some people have had success stories by taking this route. Towns and villages around me I've heard like this because their cops are part timers, and it's easier for them to hire someone who put theirself through an academy, rather than get someone fresh and to pay them to go to an academy. The pre service academy is starting to not sound like a bad idea

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
      I am an upstate officer.
      315- or 518?
      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Just came out of one such academy myself, and I was one of 5 people hired straight from the academy class. Even if you do self-sponsor, it is extremely competitive and far from definite that you will find a job straight away. I would recommend establishing your value as a candidate before you even enter the academy, so that once you're in it makes you an even more attractive potential hire. If you live in the same county as an academy that allows self-sponsoring, you essentially have no choice other than to self-sponsor because the academy is saturating the market with potential hires.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
          315- or 518?
          Sorry, it's been a few days since I have been logged on. I sent you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DimondLight View Post
            Just came out of one such academy myself, and I was one of 5 people hired straight from the academy class. Even if you do self-sponsor, it is extremely competitive and far from definite that you will find a job straight away. I would recommend establishing your value as a candidate before you even enter the academy, so that once you're in it makes you an even more attractive potential hire. If you live in the same county as an academy that allows self-sponsoring, you essentially have no choice other than to self-sponsor because the academy is saturating the market with potential hires.
            Understood. The county I live in doesn't have a self-sponsoring academy, but the border county north of me does, which is where I plan on going. Do you suggest that I speak to a few agencies about being a potential candidate for employment before I start the self-sponsor academy if I tell them I will be enrolling in it? That could maybe benefit me?

Comment

Originally posted by avou8813 View Post
              Understood. The county I live in doesn't have a self-sponsoring academy, but the border county north of me does, which is where I plan on going. Do you suggest that I speak to a few agencies about being a potential candidate for employment before I start the self-sponsor academy if I tell them I will be enrolling in it? That could maybe benefit me?
              If you are not on any lists then it will be difficult to get any real interview or face to face time with the people who are hiring at those agencies. I would say you need to really determine whether you self-sponsorship is something that you want to do, and either go through with it or wait for another opportunity. If you do decide to go through with it, departments like to see that you are likely to make it through the academy. Once you are in and doing well, then try to get interviews with any department you can and let them know that you are sponsoring yourself.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9674 users online. 446 members and 9228 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X