Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-Sponsorship?

Hello everyone,

I've recently decided to pursue my career in becoming a police officer. I took 2 tests a few weeks back; and my brother is a Trooper so I have a good general idea on how this very competitive field works.

I was recently talking to some friends and they mentioned the subject of self-sponsorship through a police academy. My friend told me she knows a local cop who was able to do the first half of the academy by his own sponsorship then talked to an agency that agreed to sponsor him for the second half and then got the position.

Within the next few years I plan on taking more of the exams to hopefully be able to get hired through a department but if that fails, would self sponsorship be a decent idea just as a back-up plan? Aside from paying for it yourself, would it be a benefit to complete the academy, get the certificate, and then try to apply to departments in my state? I live in NY.

I've heard many mixed opinions but all and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Originally posted by avou8813 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I've recently decided to pursue my career in becoming a police officer. I took 2 tests a few weeks back; and my brother is a Trooper so I have a good general idea on how this very competitive field works.

I was recently talking to some friends and they mentioned the subject of self-sponsorship through a police academy. My friend told me she knows a local cop who was able to do the first half of the academy by his own sponsorship then talked to an agency that agreed to sponsor him for the second half and then got the position.

Within the next few years I plan on taking more of the exams to hopefully be able to get hired through a department but if that fails, would self sponsorship be a decent idea just as a back-up plan? Aside from paying for it yourself, would it be a benefit to complete the academy, get the certificate, and then try to apply to departments in my state? I live in NY.

I've heard many mixed opinions but all and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Don't know how it is in New York, but in CA it's the way to go. It worked for me and many others. You need to do a self assessment and ask yourself, how do I compare to people with military, degrees, languages or people with all three? Those are the people who'll be getting hired at the agencies that send people to academies.

Comment

Not to be rude, but this question is asked on a regular basis. Try some key words in the seach function and you should get a number of threads on the topic.

Comment

Yes very true. Luckily I'll be graduating with a degree in a couple of years and took 7 years of Spanish so I know the language very good. I also did look online a little bit and saw that people in CA in the same situation did have success with the self sponsorship. I'm just not sure how and if it works well over here.
        Last edited by avou8813; 12-01-2014, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Yea I see it's a big topic here, but I just wanted to post anyway to see what some people had to say.

Comment

7 years of learning Spanish under my belt so I know the language very good
            But obviously not so much on the English.

You might think that is a low blow, but rest assured that EVERYTHING you submit on an application for a law enforcement career WILL be closely scrutinized. Grammar mistakes can be a deal breaker ---------or a tie breaker if two candidates are equal in other matters
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Hello everyone,

Thank you
              Being from NY I will try to touch on a few things here. The region I am from is saturated with people who are doing the exact same thing as you are. That makes it even more difficult to stand out as a candidate.

Also, be aware of the fact that most POST certifications from DCJS expire after 2-3 years after academy completion. Keep that in mind before you spend your money and use your valuable time. Do not take that as me saying "Don't do it." With the "market" being so congested with cookie cutter applications, recruiters are being more stringent on taking applicants in this state.

Not sure if you wanted to go the route of becoming a Trooper, but in NYS the State Police and State Parks Police do not accept self-sponsors. You must go through their academy and would be wasting your time if that was your objective.

If you choose to go the self-sponsor route, take EVERY test you can and get the ball rolling. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
                Being from NY I will try to touch on a few things here. The region I am from is saturated with people who are doing the exact same thing as you are. That makes it even more difficult to stand out as a candidate.

Also, be aware of the fact that most POST certifications from DCJS expire after 2-3 years after academy completion. Keep that in mind before you spend your money and use your valuable time. Do not take that as me saying "Don't do it." With the "market" being so congested with cookie cutter applications, recruiters are being more stringent on taking applicants in this state.

Not sure if you wanted to go the route of becoming a Trooper, but in NYS the State Police and State Parks Police do not accept self-sponsors. You must go through their academy and would be wasting your time if that was your objective.

If you choose to go the self-sponsor route, take EVERY test you can and get the ball rolling. Good luck.

Where you from? You on the Job?
                MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

We've done numerous discussions on this very subject many times. You might wish to use the Search feature here. In doing so, you'll find a wealth of information on the subject of self sponsorship. That said, I'll offer you a very general overview of the topic.

There are some areas of the country where prior certification is a must. it's a must before an agency will even consider an applicant.
                  In other areas, departments run their own academies, and you're paid while attending. So, it would follow that some research on your part would be beneficial.

There are some caveats to self sponsorship, and you should consider them. There are many "academies" all too willing to take your money and dump you into a still often and 'iffy" hiring environment. In deciding to apply to a self sponsor school, look into it's accreditation. How many graduates are successfully placed with law enforcement agencies in the area. This is research you can and should do.

Many agencies, primarily state and larger cities and counties administer their own academies, and will require you complete their particular academy regardless of any prior certification. This too,is something you should consider.

Please understand that I'm not disregarding the very valid thoughts posted by my colleagues who attended self sponsor schools. I'm merely offering you some additional thoughts and comments on the subject. Good luck in whatever way you go.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                    We've done numerous discussions on this very subject many times. You might wish to use the Search feature here. In doing so, you'll find a wealth of information on the subject of self sponsorship. That said, I'll offer you a very general overview of the topic.

Didn't like them answers
                    Yea I see it's a big topic here, but I just wanted to post anyway to see what some people had to say.
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

They haven't changed though.

Comment

Every little thing helps. Around where I live unless you apply to a large city or the state police, there are very, VERY few departments that will even let you test if you aren't at least currently in the academy. It's pretty much if you want to be a cop, you HAVE to self-sponsor as the places that will put you through the academy won't take you unless you have prior experience or you're a Medal of Honor winning former Navy SEAL with a doctorate from Yale, a 200 IQ, and a background cleaner than Jesus Christ. I can't speak for NY though.
                        "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                        -Chris Rock

Comment

In Michigan, unless you're hired by a department that runs their own academy (Detroit or State Police) or you are hired as a dispatcher or corrections for a Sheriff's Dept, you have to put yourself through the academy to be hired as a cop. Cost is usually around $6,000, not including equipment, uniforms, PT gear, etc. It's a full time academy (40-50 hours/week) which makes it nearly impossible to work during the academy. The self-sponsored academies are generally around 16 weeks, give or take a few days. Now, there have been instances where police departments will hire you and pay to put you through a regional academy (ran by community colleges which are the self-sponsored academies) while paying your salary, but those are few and far between, especially considering the job market and abundance of academy graduates looking for jobs. There are also instances of people who have worked at the department for a while in non-sworn capacity and either applied for a sworn position or were tapped by the Chief to go because they proved themselves to be valuable where the department will pay for the academy and everything else you need and pay you your salary while you're in an academy.

Again, this is Michigan. I have no idea where you live.
                          Last edited by Aerohead; 12-03-2014, 11:51 AM.
                          Originally posted by RSGSRT
                          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I did self sponsorship in Georgia and was offered a job while still in the academy, I want to say 3-4 weeks before graduation. I think it is a good idea.
                            Yes very true. Luckily I'll be graduating with a degree in a couple of years and took 7 years of Spanish so I know the language very good. I also did look online a little bit and saw that people in CA in the same situation did have success with the self sponsorship. I'm just not sure how and if it works well over here.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                              Where you from? You on the Job?
                              I am an upstate officer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7098 users online. 227 members and 6871 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X