300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario testing

I've got scenarios coming up, I'm a bit nervous, but confident. Any tips?

Don't overthink

Answer the questions the way YOU THINK they should be answered. The panel will not be expecting you to know police procedure or agency. You will be judged on your thought process and ability to support your decisions

Again-----------don't over think the questions
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      Don't overthink

Answer the questions the way YOU THINK they should be answered. The panel will not be expecting you to know police procedure or agency. You will be judged on your thought process and ability to support your decisions

Again-----------don't over think the questions
      I agree...best to just be yourself and relax. They want to see how you will perform and how creative you are in coming up with solutions. The judges all know that you don't have the perfect answers or solutions (because there isn't just on way to solve something). You will do fine. Good luck!

Comment

Are you talking about orals or in service?
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I'm guessing he's already in the academy since he posted here. I would assume he means Redman or something like it but we know what happens when you assume. Please clarify OP.

Comment

Get together with your classmates and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Get in there and role play. Be the suspect, victim and officer so you get all perspectives. Works every time.

Comment

Know the law. Know it well. Understand the elements of each offense and what you can and can not make an on view arrest for. Know your agency's use of force continuum. Know when to use force, how much, and how to do it properly. Be prepared to articulate what you did and why. Get ready for some stress too. This is the closest they can make training to the street, so be prepared for anything and everything. Good luck!
              Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
              To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

Expect to eff it up, you're in the academy to learn and make mistakes. The big thing is don't be afraid to make the mistakes and learn from them. Just don't make the same mistakes over and over.

Comment

Academy usually sets you up for failure sometimes... the best thing you can do is not overthink, practice, be confident, and be assertive and prepare to back-up each scenario with WHY you chose to do what you did.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

And know the difference between a Consensual Encounter and a Detention. Know that you can't do a Pat Search just because you have a detention.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                      Are you talking about orals or in service?
                      I'm sorry Ive taken so long to reply, I'm quite busy. Yes, I'm in the police academy. I passed my first set last week and I've got use of force scenarios today. Ive already got my conditional offer, so I just have to get through these scenarios. Thanks for the tips, some good stuff.

Comment

Take a deep breath. They are academy scenarios, they are not meant to be the end of the world.

Our practicals are the last week of the academy and are basically just the instructors and local law enforcement acting out scenarios and you have to respond to them. Have fun with it and try and learn from it. Remember first thing is keep you and your partner safe, so secure the situation and then figure things out. Everyone in our scenarios was to slow to go hands on, you will be to because you have never done it.

Don't expect to get it right the first time, but if you act in a way that would not get anyone killed they will likely pass you.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips, they came in handy! I have the last part of medical next week and I'll be graduating dec 11th in uniform. I look forward to joining you all on the thin blue line! Dream come true.

Comment

How are you graduating Dec 11th if you are still in the process for a dept?? Did I miss something?
                            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                            that we are all that stands between
                            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmallCityCop View Post
                              How are you graduating Dec 11th if you are still in the process for a dept?? Did I miss something?
                              I self sponsored myself through the academy, and now I'm being picked up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4349 users online. 273 members and 4076 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X