Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral interview questions

Hello guys,
    I just got an email from an agency regarding to am oral interview and I know some of you guys have done that a thousand times so I would like to have your insight on how to prepare for it and also I am debating on what to wear
    Thank you guys

Wear a suit, always wear a suit. Make sure you look sharp because anything that looks off will be observed by the interview panel. I don't know how the agency you are applying to structures their panel. Generally you will either get asked some scenario questions, or be asked about your past, why you want the job, and personal questions. Sometimes there are a mix of those, it all depends.

Either way, sit up straight, don't rock in the chair or move around too much. The panel will understand that you are going to be nervous, just try and relax. When they ask you something, make sure you pay attention, and if you don't understand ask for clarification. There's nothing wrong with pausing to think for a second before you answer either. Keep calm and you'll get through it. Good luck.

Comment

thank you Amigo

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/t194688/#post3494374
        “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

* Wear a dark suit (black or navy)

* Shave

* Trim finger nails

* Don't wear excessive jewelry

* Be prepared to give a quick (3 min) bio of yourself... rehearse this and touch on any/all accomplishments that pertain to the position.

* Be prepared to tell them why you want the position and why they should hire you over other candidates... rehearse this and have well thought out responses.

* Make eye contact with people on the oral board.

* When you walk in, shake the hands of each member on board and and be enthusiastic... ask to take a seat before just sitting down.

* Buy some books on Oral Boards to prepare for commonly asked questions.

* Try not to say "Umm" before you convey answers or say something.

* Be confident in your answers even if you are unsure if your right.

* Remember: Sell yourself without being cocky... but be confident (there is a difference).

* At the end of interview, make sure you thank every member for their time and again... shake their hands. If you are given the oppertunity to say something at the end of the interview... DO IT, this is your last oppertunity to impress the board and a chance to give any information about yourself that you may have forgotten or not had a chance to convey.

This is just a quick "off the top of my head list".

Good Luck!
          Last edited by TAPnRACK; 08-13-2014, 09:00 PM.

Comment

That link pretty much covers anything I can think of lol.

Comment

it surely does and thank you so much guys for the help

Comment

Anything new? How did it go?

Comment

I had one that I hadn't seen before, "Can you share something ____ that isn't in the application packet" It threw me a little because you throw all your best in the application packet! Wasn't hard to field the question though, just a surprise.

Also I was ready for the questions like, "What have done to prepare yourself?" Instead I got asked, "Can you tell us something that you did to move up in a current job or position"

Comment

The last oral board I had the very first question they asked was "tell us everything you know about the department, including the name of the Sheriff" which was a first for me, and I've been in a bunch of oral boards. Make sure you study the department - know who the Chief/Sheriff is and some of the command staff, divisions, patrol area, etc. Good luck.
                    Originally posted by RSGSRT
                    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

My first question was, "do you have the ability to use deadly force?" I had A major, capt. and a LT and then a psychiatrist who kept asking how did that make me feel. LOL.

I was nervous but just be honest and also look them in the eye. I had shaved except for my mustache because it was October. I just made sure to let them know why it wasnt shaved off.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradient Shift View Post
                        I'm extremely meticulous and my car rarely gets dirty, but I'm really intrigued as to why you would need your car clean.
                        Prospective.

Comment

Originally posted by RClar93 View Post
                          I'm extremely meticulous and my car rarely gets dirty, but I'm really intrigued as to why you would need your car clean.
                          If hired the person will be using department resources, which includes a vehicle. If you can't keep your own vehicle clean they may have a harder time trusting you with one of theirs. They will also want to check for anything of interest which you have left in plain sight.

Here is a car I saw yesterday...

Sent via Tapatalk.
                          “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Gradient Shift View Post
                            If hired the person will be using department resources, which includes a vehicle. If you can't keep your own vehicle clean they may have a harder time trusting you with one of theirs. They will also want to check for anything of interest which you have left in plain sight.

Here is a car I saw yesterday...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...e9b2aea834.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk.
                            That picture is making me twitch. Thanks for the clarification.
                            Prospective.

Comment

Originally posted by RClar93 View Post
                              That picture is making me twitch. Thanks for the clarification.
                              I should have taken more pictures, the floor by the driver's side looked like a sandbox. The whole inside was gross.

If a department wants they can spend the two minutes it takes to inspect an applicants car to see if they at least give the appearance of being responsible.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3366 users online. 179 members and 3187 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X