300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressing for Orientation

I have my orientation to the academy Tuesday morning. The acceptance letter said to dress in "proper business attire" I definitely do not want to over or under dress for this so I was wondering if I could get some pointers about what to wear? Should I could with a full suit and tie? Pants, tie, shirt? Any and all input is appreciated, thanks!

Suit. Always a suit. If it is necessary, take off the jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by Billdozer79 View Post
      Suit. Always a suit. If it is necessary, take off the jacket.
      That is what I have been thinking but I just wanted second opinions... never doubt your gut I guess.

Comment

Good luck in the academy

Comment

Shiny aviator glasses and one of those "cop" t-shirts. If you have one, wear a complete gun belt (minus pistol) so they know you are ready to go and don't fool around.
          Last edited by just joe; 08-01-2014, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I was thinking flip flops, a wife beater and a thong.

You really want to stand out that first day
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              I was thinking flip flops, a wife beater and a thong.

You really want to stand out that first day

That's only during DT's

Comment

naw he needs on of those shirts that say F the police.That always gets my attention that someone really likes what we do and wants to join us for a visit

Comment

The only way to over dressed would be to wear a tux. Jacket and tie. No jeans. Shoes (not boots). When I became a Detective I always wore a sports jacket and tie with dockers. No supervisor ever told me I was under dressed even though I knew they would prefer me to wear a suit. I did this to save on dry cleaning. I did notice though that on my annual evaluation under the "appearence" column out of a rating of 1 to 5, I always got a 3 (meets Standards). There were always other yahoos who would wear worse stuff. I guess they figured at least I was Business casual. Same with orientation. Just don't be the yahoo.
                  Last edited by BNWS; 08-01-2014, 05:10 PM. Reason: mispelling

Comment

We had one guy show up to my orientation wearing an orange or yellow sweater vest. One or two people did not wear a suit jacket. Everyone else was wearing a suit.
                    “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

I wanted to go for a suit but just wanted to avoid the over dressing, I tend to do that. But I'll definitely take care of that now.

Comment

Business attire generally means a suit, including jacket and tie.

Comment

Business attire universally means a suit and tie. Anything less would be business casual. Wear a business suit, and nothing flashy or fancy.
                          My orientation did not specify what to wear, so I wore khakis with a button up shirt and tie. But if it specifies business attire, they are expecting suit.

The one thing I probably screwed up on was I didn't shave my beard for orientation (orientation was about one month before the academy). Luckily, I look so different with a beard that I don't think anyone recognized me or remembered the beard.

I had an additional uniform faux pas after I was an officer. My shift was to receive an award, and the Chief was going to be pinning ribbons. I rarely wear my dress uniform, and I forgot my freakin' name plate! The Chief noticed right away, and he still gives me a hard time about it (all in good fun). 1600 officers, and the Chief still remembers that I'm the guy who forgot his name plate. Doh!!

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
                            1600 officers, and the Chief still remembers that I'm the guy who forgot his name plate. Doh!!
                            Remember the maxim-------------1000 "Att-a-boys" do not cancel one "Oh Crap"
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I was wondering about the shaving thing myself but it looks like clean shave and short hair is the way to go for it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8430 users online. 360 members and 8070 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X