300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day...what to expect???

First of all I just wanna say greetings from NC! I was recently hired and will be starting the academy pretty soon. I couldn't be more excited! I was just wondering what can I expect on the first day? I do realize every dept is diff but I was kinda wanting to get a general idea of some things to expect. Thanks!

We showed up, had a physical that was different from the departments physical to make sure we were capable of making it through the academy. Then we did a review of the rules, went for a pretty grueling run and then another lecture and then some more PT in the gym.

Just be in good shape and go into it with a good attitude. We had guys in my academy class that had a bad attitude about everything and had a miserable 4 months. Just remember you will get out of it what you put in and you are getting paid so treat it just like you would your job once you graduate.

Congratulation on getting hired, that is a big step.

Comment

On the first day, the academy staff will give you a congratulations party, complete with cake and ice cream.
      "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

This is Day 1 at my academy, not my actual class though. This was the class that graduated 3 classes after mine.

Comment

^ I remember watching that series on YouTube a while back! Good stuff.

It really depends on where you're going, what the area is like, what the academy atmosphere is like as well as how the academy staff choose to present themselves to you.

Get some quality boots.
          Super Secret Ninja Squirrel
          "SSNS"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSecretNinjaSquirrel View Post
            ^ I remember watching that series on YouTube a while back! Good stuff.

It really depends on where you're going, what the area is like, what the academy atmosphere is like as well as how the academy staff choose to present themselves to you.

Get some quality boots.
            Do you have any recommendations for boots? I'm going to need some next month for my academy.

Comment

Bates or Rocky. Depends on your preference. I've went through two pairs of Rocky's that lasted 4 years each and were good for running and drying fast if they get wet.

Originally posted by SuperDude913 View Post
              Do you have any recommendations for boots? I'm going to need some next month for my academy.

Comment

Thank you sir. I'll check those out.

Comment

I always recommend the Bates Ultra Lite w/ side zip. Might not be a bad idea to buy a backup pair as well and keep them shined up and ready to go in case you're out in the rain or something and they don't have time to dry for the next day.

Comment

Hey I sent you a friend request, can I ask something to you in a private message?

To Wolfpack that is!

Comment

Originally posted by lpstopper View Post
                      On the first day, the academy staff will give you a congratulations party, complete with cake and ice cream.
                      Beat me to it lol
                      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

In all honesty just know no matter what you do it will be wrong. Everything (yelling-chaos- etc) is done for a reason. Go in great shape, keep your eyes forward, answer "Yes Sir" or Ma'am" and don't take it personal. It gets better. People will quit that first week, don't be the one who is too weak to handle it. Remember you are in a controlled enviorment. If you or someone can';t handle that there on the street you wont at all. Good luck and keep us updated.
                        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

So am I to understand there will be no cupcakes on the first day?!...damn...

Serious question though, I will be going to a residential academy at te beginning of august and I have switched my training regimen to be more cardio/endurance focus. I can to five miles at 8.5/9.5 pace and still have gas for push ups.

Should I focus on doing crossfit type stuff after running to prepare for "the suck" or are push ups and sit ups adequate? Thanks guys!
                          Last edited by AKtransplant; 07-25-2014, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Hey scotch feel free to message me!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfpack12 View Post
                              Hey scotch feel free to message me!

Sure thing, but it looks like you have PM turned off!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6284 users online. 343 members and 5941 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X