300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy in January... advice?

I will hopefully be attending the academy in January. I am looking to up my workout routine now to prepare. I have talked to several coworkers and instructors about what to expect but want more input.

Any advice? Length of runs? Typical workout?

Thanks.

As much cardio as you can handle. Get familiar with push-ups and brazilians(yes it is a real exercise). If you're going to be running outside which I assume that you will, I would stretch as much as possible. If you're not familiar with any sort of martial arts, do some research on ground fighting, along the lines of BJJ. It will help when you get to the DT part. Good luck to you!

Comment

I am in the academy in West Palm Beach, and let me say you better be in shape. Start running a couple miles a day and build up. Do push ups and more push ups, cherry pickers, and a lot of ab workouts. Just be prepared for anything if you put your mind to it you will succeed good luck.

Comment

Try to enroll in a crossfit gym and go at least 3 times per week. Most of the academies are doing a lot of crossfit type workouts now. Get your cardio up! Get used to doing lots of burpies, push-ups, pull-ups and core work. Try to get your mileage to at least 3-4 miles each time you go for a run. It's never too early to start preparing and get yourself in good shape. Good luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by PoliceBeast View Post
          Try to enroll in a crossfit gym and go at least 3 times per week. Most of the academies are doing a lot of crossfit type workouts now. Get your cardio up! Get used to doing lots of burpies, push-ups, pull-ups and core work. Try to get your mileage to at least 3-4 miles each time you go for a run. It's never too early to start preparing and get yourself in good shape. Good luck to you!
          This is pretty accurate above. Work on flutter kicks, Planks and wall sit's as well
          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by mrs_deputy View Post
            I will hopefully be attending the academy in January. I am looking to up my workout routine now to prepare. I have talked to several coworkers and instructors about what to expect but want more input.

Any advice? Length of runs? Typical workout?

Thanks.
            Where is your academy at?

Learn your radio codes for scenarios and tests.

Comment

I should be starting the academy soon is there a time frame that I should be focusing in completing 3-4 miles?

Comment

Originally posted by alexac9 View Post
                I should be starting the academy soon is there a time frame that I should be focusing in completing 3-4 miles?
                Not specifically. Just keep a good pace. Work on getting your 1.5 mile to a good time; sub 13 minutes.

Comment

The are many exercises you will be doing. These are the most common that I had to do almost every day: Push ups (all varieties), sit ups, flutter/scissor kicks, shin sliders, planks, holding your feet 6 inches off the ground, wall squats, and burpees. Expect to do tons and tons of those mentioned. Also, we did a lot of sprint drills/indian runs along with our hill workouts and distance runs. As listed above, check out crossfit. Even if you don't have a gym near you, you can check out the website and do the workouts.

Comment

Run run run run.

Im training for the academy as well. Be sure to work on your endurance. Push ups, sit ups, and lots of running. You don't want to have ANY excuses when it comes time to start drilling at the academy.

This is your shot to make it in the LE profession. If you want it, you WILL do what it takes. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Billdozer79 View Post
                      As much cardio as you can handle. Get familiar with push-ups and brazilians(yes it is a real exercise). If you're going to be running outside which I assume that you will, I would stretch as much as possible. If you're not familiar with any sort of martial arts, do some research on ground fighting, along the lines of BJJ. It will help when you get to the DT part. Good luck to you!

I was literally just reading about the dreaded redman. I've been doing crossfit style workouts and a lot or running and rowing 2-3 days a week... in between working nights and overtime. I will now consider some type of martial arts more! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tconn89 View Post
                        I am in the academy in West Palm Beach, and let me say you better be in shape. Start running a couple miles a day and build up. Do push ups and more push ups, cherry pickers, and a lot of ab workouts. Just be prepared for anything if you put your mind to it you will succeed good luck.
                        Cardio has been my trainer's focus. That and crssfit. Great, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by CheekyBrah View Post
                          Where is your academy at?

Learn your radio codes for scenarios and tests.
                          North georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
                            The are many exercises you will be doing. These are the most common that I had to do almost every day: Push ups (all varieties), sit ups, flutter/scissor kicks, shin sliders, planks, holding your feet 6 inches off the ground, wall squats, and burpees. Expect to do tons and tons of those mentioned. Also, we did a lot of sprint drills/indian runs along with our hill workouts and distance runs. As listed above, check out crossfit. Even if you don't have a gym near you, you can check out the website and do the workouts.

Thank you. I've been doing a lot of that and am still working on my running. That's where I will focus. Cardio

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner2000 View Post
                              Run run run run.

Im training for the academy as well. Be sure to work on your endurance. Push ups, sit ups, and lots of running. You don't want to have ANY excuses when it comes time to start drilling at the academy.

This is your shot to make it in the LE profession. If you want it, you WILL do what it takes. Good luck.

Good luck to you as well. I don't want to be the one to fall behind... so hopefully I have given myself a decent time frame to prepare.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6135 users online. 370 members and 5765 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X