Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FutureLeo76
    replied
    My question to you is, where in florida do you need a 3:59 to pass? Here in south florida you need 6 minutes and 4 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    you two must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed lol

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
    Kids. My underwear is older than you.
    Ironically, MY underwear is older than me.

Leave a comment:

• GoldBadge
    replied
    Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
    Nice having someone older than me
    Kids. My underwear is older than you.

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
    I attended the academy at 43. Ray-Ray doesn't go easy on you on the street on in the pod because you have grey hair, are female, are out of shape or anything else. You have to be able to perform. Period.
    Hell No they don't- Agreed 100%. Good Job old man lol

...Nice having someone older than me than POP's aka IOWA

Leave a comment:

• Catfish56
    replied
    No offense but your lungs shouldn't be on fire after running a quarter mile and what sounds like a brief obstacle course. Unless of course you've been sitting on the sofa watching The Price is Right and eating bonbons for the past 20 years. Any normal human being that at least walks out to the end of the driveway to get the mail each day should be able to do that basic PT test.

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    You need to get uncomfortable and stop making excuses I'm 41 years old and I could crawl out of bed and do that BASIC test. Just get uncomfortable and train your as- off.
    I attended the academy at 43. Ray-Ray doesn't go easy on you on the street on in the pod because you have grey hair, are female, are out of shape or anything else. You have to be able to perform. Period.

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
    The answer is not to train for the PAT.

Train instead for a career in law enforcement.

Physical fitness isn't something you do for two weeks before the PAT, or during the academy.

The PAT is an absolute minimum. It's not a goal.

Fitness is something you do for life. Passing the PAT and academy means that you'll be out on the street fighting with some mook who works out daily... often in a prison yard. If you haven't worked out regularly, if physical fitness isn't a lifestyle for you, you'll get your arse kicked and maybe die.

Don't train for the PAT. Go out and get fit and the PAT will take care of itself.

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    Originally posted by Poppydog View Post
    I know about burbees. Haven't done them in awhile cause I always puked lol. I do cardio 4 days a week for about 30 mins and another 30-60 mins of weight training. Like i said, my legs did great. My lungs sucked. Maybe too because it was out in 90 degree Florida heat. I'll start working outdoor more often. I also need some better running shoes. Academy starts in September, the pat is the first step. Maybe I'm just not working out long enough each day?
    Listen I am gonna be straight with you. If you have been training all along this wouldnt be a problem. This is a BASIC test. Nothing compared to what will be expected of you in the Police Academy. You wanna pass do what Shush told you. You need to get uncomfortable and stop making excuses I'm 41 years old and I could crawl out of bed and do that BASIC test. Just get uncomfortable and train your as- off.

Leave a comment:

• okgr2056
    replied
    Get in shape and train for the PAT but don't stop after that. In reality if you have let yourself get that out of shape that you can't complete the test on the first try then you may not have been in the right mental place to be in law enforcement so soon.

A good example of why you need to train is a recent pursuit I was in. Another officer who was pursuing the suspect with me quit running about forty five seconds in and left me alone to fight the suspect when I caught him.

Don't be that guy, when you legs give out on the test you fail yourself, but when they fail on duty they may get someone else killed.

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    Sprints/HIIT(high intensity interval training) will increase your cardiovascular endurance in the shortest amount of time.
    True, with the caveat that, if you're not in shape, training too hard too fast can inure you and then you're worse off than before... so be cautious.

Leave a comment:

• DBeck
    replied
    Sprints/HIIT(high intensity interval training) will increase your cardiovascular endurance in the shortest amount of time.

Do intervals of sprinting and walking/jogging. Just make sure when you hit each sprint you are going 110%.

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    I want suggestions from those who have trained for this
    The answer is not to train for the PAT.

Train instead for a career in law enforcement.

Physical fitness isn't something you do for two weeks before the PAT, or during the academy.

The PAT is an absolute minimum. It's not a goal.

Fitness is something you do for life. Passing the PAT and academy means that you'll be out on the street fighting with some mook who works out daily... often in a prison yard. If you haven't worked out regularly, if physical fitness isn't a lifestyle for you, you'll get your arse kicked and maybe die.

Don't train for the PAT. Go out and get fit and the PAT will take care of itself.

Leave a comment:

• MargeGunderson
    replied
    Originally posted by Shush View Post
    ... an old buddhist monk that lived 20 years in silence just to better enjoy the sound of the spoken word
    Hundred bucks says that totally backfired on him.

But the cardio part is spot on. Poppydog, if you've been in the military you could have a buddy act as drill sergeant to motivate you. This only works if you've actually been in, so you fully comprehend the unpleasantly graphic and creative demises of which they're capable.

Good luck and since you asked and received advice, you're obligated to come back with the results.

Leave a comment:

• Shush
    replied
    Doing timed cardio is great for aerobic exercise but it does squat for anaerobic fitness. You have to strengthen the part of the cardio system that kicks in when you transition from slow and steady to pushing it. Example -- jogging is a good aerobic exercise. A army captain taught me to use power poles on the side of the road for a guide -- jog from one to the next, then sprint to the next, then jog to the next, then sprint, so on and so forth. The sprint section switches you from aerobic to anaerobic because it causes the heart to kick in the after burners. Over time, that will get stronger, increasing blood oxygenation. More richly oxygenated blood provides more energy and levels heart rate. The more efficient the oxygenation process works, the less the lungs burn. That's really what the exercises I mentioned do - they really tax the anaerobic system making it stronger, which increases your overall speed and ability.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3722 users online. 223 members and 3499 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X