• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Poppydog
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2014

How Can I Pass a PAT?

Hey Everyone,

Today I was scheduled for a PAT. Which is two 220 yard runs, an obstacle course with dragging a 150 pound dummy about 50'. I've known about this for two weeks, been running twice a day. I've noticed major improvement. However, last night I was up all night with a sick stomach. I went anyways, told them I was sick all night but would try my best. They recommended I'd watch everyone, and then run through and practice. My time was 4:30, I needed 3:59 to pass. I know I would have passed if I actually had slept during the night.

Besides my fatigue and upset stomach, I think I did ok. I ran great the first 220 yards. Went through the obstacle twice, made it through another 110 yards of running...then boom I was done. My legs felt great, my lungs were on fire. I'm looking on the net, but I want suggestions from those who have trained for this. What can I do to get my lungs ready in two weeks when I go to take the PAT again? I'm going to continue to run everyday, but I get so winded!! It took me 15 mins to recover and catch my breathe.
  • Iowa #1603
    Senior Veteran
    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Poppydog
    Hey Everyone,

Today I was scheduled for a PAT. Which is two 220 yard runs, an obstacle course with dragging a 150 pound dummy about 50'. I've known about this for two weeks, been running twice a day. I've noticed major improvement. However, last night I was up all night with a sick stomach. I went anyways, told them I was sick all night but would try my best. They recommended I'd watch everyone, and then run through and practice. My time was 4:30, I needed 3:59 to pass. I know I would have passed if I actually had slept during the night.

Besides my fatigue and upset stomach, I think I did ok. I ran great the first 220 yards. Went through the obstacle twice, made it through another 110 yards of running...then boom I was done. My legs felt great, my lungs were on fire. I'm looking on the net, but I want suggestions from those who have trained for this. What can I do to get my lungs ready in two weeks when I go to take the PAT again? I'm going to continue to run everyday, but I get so winded!! It took me 15 mins to recover and catch my breathe.
    So what is your question?

You say you know you would have passed had you not been sick.................

The bottom line is TRAIN. Two weeks of training is NOT NEARLY enough. Try training for 6 months before a PT test.
    I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• Shush
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2013

I am going to give you a secret formula that was handed down to me from an old buddhist monk that lived 20 years in silence just to better enjoy the sound of the spoken word....

Cardio exercise.

Jumping jacks til you puke every other day. After you puke, jump rope until you either puke or dry heave. after you finish that, do burpees until you feel like you are going to pass out. If you don't know what a burpee is - google it. If you actually do pass out, then when you wake up be happy because you are done for the day.

In 2 weeks you will double your lung/cardio capacity.

Comment

• Poppydog
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2014

I know about burbees. Haven't done them in awhile cause I always puked lol. I do cardio 4 days a week for about 30 mins and another 30-60 mins of weight training. Like i said, my legs did great. My lungs sucked. Maybe too because it was out in 90 degree Florida heat. I'll start working outdoor more often. I also need some better running shoes. Academy starts in September, the pat is the first step. Maybe I'm just not working out long enough each day?

Comment

• Shush
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2013

Doing timed cardio is great for aerobic exercise but it does squat for anaerobic fitness. You have to strengthen the part of the cardio system that kicks in when you transition from slow and steady to pushing it. Example -- jogging is a good aerobic exercise. A army captain taught me to use power poles on the side of the road for a guide -- jog from one to the next, then sprint to the next, then jog to the next, then sprint, so on and so forth. The sprint section switches you from aerobic to anaerobic because it causes the heart to kick in the after burners. Over time, that will get stronger, increasing blood oxygenation. More richly oxygenated blood provides more energy and levels heart rate. The more efficient the oxygenation process works, the less the lungs burn. That's really what the exercises I mentioned do - they really tax the anaerobic system making it stronger, which increases your overall speed and ability.

Comment

• MargeGunderson
            Forum Member
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Shush
            ... an old buddhist monk that lived 20 years in silence just to better enjoy the sound of the spoken word
            Hundred bucks says that totally backfired on him.

But the cardio part is spot on. Poppydog, if you've been in the military you could have a buddy act as drill sergeant to motivate you. This only works if you've actually been in, so you fully comprehend the unpleasantly graphic and creative demises of which they're capable.

Good luck and since you asked and received advice, you're obligated to come back with the results.
            "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
            ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

• tanksoldier
              • Dec 2009

I want suggestions from those who have trained for this
              The answer is not to train for the PAT.

Train instead for a career in law enforcement.

Physical fitness isn't something you do for two weeks before the PAT, or during the academy.

The PAT is an absolute minimum. It's not a goal.

Fitness is something you do for life. Passing the PAT and academy means that you'll be out on the street fighting with some mook who works out daily... often in a prison yard. If you haven't worked out regularly, if physical fitness isn't a lifestyle for you, you'll get your arse kicked and maybe die.

Don't train for the PAT. Go out and get fit and the PAT will take care of itself.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• DBeck
                Forum Member
                • Nov 2010

Sprints/HIIT(high intensity interval training) will increase your cardiovascular endurance in the shortest amount of time.

Do intervals of sprinting and walking/jogging. Just make sure when you hit each sprint you are going 110%.

Comment

• tanksoldier
                  • Dec 2009

Sprints/HIIT(high intensity interval training) will increase your cardiovascular endurance in the shortest amount of time.
                  True, with the caveat that, if you're not in shape, training too hard too fast can inure you and then you're worse off than before... so be cautious.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• okgr2056
                    Forum Member
                    • Aug 2012

Get in shape and train for the PAT but don't stop after that. In reality if you have let yourself get that out of shape that you can't complete the test on the first try then you may not have been in the right mental place to be in law enforcement so soon.

A good example of why you need to train is a recent pursuit I was in. Another officer who was pursuing the suspect with me quit running about forty five seconds in and left me alone to fight the suspect when I caught him.

Don't be that guy, when you legs give out on the test you fail yourself, but when they fail on duty they may get someone else killed.

Comment

• jcioccke
                      Forum Member
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Poppydog
                      I know about burbees. Haven't done them in awhile cause I always puked lol. I do cardio 4 days a week for about 30 mins and another 30-60 mins of weight training. Like i said, my legs did great. My lungs sucked. Maybe too because it was out in 90 degree Florida heat. I'll start working outdoor more often. I also need some better running shoes. Academy starts in September, the pat is the first step. Maybe I'm just not working out long enough each day?
                      Listen I am gonna be straight with you. If you have been training all along this wouldnt be a problem. This is a BASIC test. Nothing compared to what will be expected of you in the Police Academy. You wanna pass do what Shush told you. You need to get uncomfortable and stop making excuses I'm 41 years old and I could crawl out of bed and do that BASIC test. Just get uncomfortable and train your as- off.
                      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

• jcioccke
                        Forum Member
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by tanksoldier
                        The answer is not to train for the PAT.

Train instead for a career in law enforcement.

Physical fitness isn't something you do for two weeks before the PAT, or during the academy.

The PAT is an absolute minimum. It's not a goal.

Fitness is something you do for life. Passing the PAT and academy means that you'll be out on the street fighting with some mook who works out daily... often in a prison yard. If you haven't worked out regularly, if physical fitness isn't a lifestyle for you, you'll get your arse kicked and maybe die.

Don't train for the PAT. Go out and get fit and the PAT will take care of itself.
                        MDRDEP:

Comment

• tanksoldier
                          • Dec 2009

You need to get uncomfortable and stop making excuses I'm 41 years old and I could crawl out of bed and do that BASIC test. Just get uncomfortable and train your as- off.
                          I attended the academy at 43. Ray-Ray doesn't go easy on you on the street on in the pod because you have grey hair, are female, are out of shape or anything else. You have to be able to perform. Period.

Comment

• Catfish56
                            Forum Member
                            • Jul 2010

No offense but your lungs shouldn't be on fire after running a quarter mile and what sounds like a brief obstacle course. Unless of course you've been sitting on the sofa watching The Price is Right and eating bonbons for the past 20 years. Any normal human being that at least walks out to the end of the driveway to get the mail each day should be able to do that basic PT test.
                            "Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
                            Watch your words, for they become actions.
                            Watch your actions, for they become habits.
                            Watch your habits, for they become character.
                            Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Comment

• jcioccke
                              Forum Member
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by tanksoldier
                              I attended the academy at 43. Ray-Ray doesn't go easy on you on the street on in the pod because you have grey hair, are female, are out of shape or anything else. You have to be able to perform. Period.
                              Hell No they don't- Agreed 100%. Good Job old man lol

...Nice having someone older than me than POP's aka IOWA
                              MDRDEP:

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 33089 users online. 57 members and 33032 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...