300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studying after getting home

I know each academy is different but it seems the common trait is that LEAs are exhausting (mentally & physically). What I want to know is how much studying I can expect to be able to get done each night after getting home.

For those who have experienced a police academy-- were you able to get home and put in some quality study hours or were you just absolutely spent? I'll be honest, I have high hopes for doing well academically and just want to know your experiences.

Please share any insight.

Originally posted by dwaynejohnson View Post
    I know each academy is different but it seems the common trait is that LEAs are exhausting (mentally & physically). What I want to know is how much studying I can expect to be able to get done each night after getting home.

For those who have experienced a police academy-- were you able to get home and put in some quality study hours or were you just absolutely spent? I'll be honest, I have high hopes for doing well academically and just want to know your experiences.

It depends. Some academies rotate between the academic and physical portions so as to allow recruits time to recover- both physically and mentally, while others use the intensity to instill discipline in recruit. By discipline I mean time management, drive to recover and push on.

You will learn to adjust accordingly.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

There were more than a few nights I had to study for an upcoming test after being pushed to my limit and beyond that day.
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
      that we are all that stands between
      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Consider it part of your training. If you make it out into an agency - you will find that you will often have times that you have to function at 100% with very little sleep.

Comment

Got it. Thanks guys. I wish there was some way I could study up now as I wait for the word.

Comment

Got it. Thanks guys. I wish there was some way I could study up now as I wait for the word.
            Study the first 14 amendments to the US Constitution in depth. The legality of police work resides there, and if your academy is anything like mine was - you will have a full 1/3rd of the time devoted solely to a legal block where everything you learn and do has it's foundation in these amendments.

If you don't make it into the academy - learning these amendments will still make you a better citizen, so its a win / win.

Comment

Based upon personal experience, which admitedly goes back many years, figure on spending a minimum of three/four hours per night in studying. It goes without saying, that if you have a family, your interaction with them, (quality time, etc) is going to suffer. Additionally, you'll need the 100% unqualified support of your family.

What I've referenced applies to a non-resident academy. EVERY academy will require your total dedication and attention. In addition to a full academic load, you'll need to spend time preparing uniforms and equipment for daily inspection.

Even in the most laid back academy atmospheres, total dedication/discipline on your part are going to be required.

With a little creativity, and discipline on your part, you can probably have a free Friday/Saturday night. Use this time as family time, and reward your family for their efforts and sacrifices on your behalf.

NEVER, put off or delay an assignment. Should you fall behind, you WILL NOT catch up. There is simply not enough time. If you study better on your own, do that. If you study and prepare better in a study group, go that route.

Best of luck in your efforts.

Comment

Guess I was lucky...studied each morning before the academy started for the tests that day. Might have got there 1/2 hour early on test days to review.

They should be teaching you everything you need to know. Pay attention to the instructors while they are teaching and you'll be better off.

Comment

If I had to study 3-4 hours per night I'd be in sad shape. As mentioned, try to be attentive in class. Most of what you learn is at least halfway interesting and most is a lot more interesting and vital to your job.

My method that has worked thus far is reading over the notes you took for the day. After that I study the 100 blocks. I have yet to get below an A on any test.

Plus one on the prepping uniforms, boots, food and minor homework assignments.

Comment

Each academy is different. For my academy I got to go home everyday after it was over. So each day I got home I'd review for a little bit, probably 30 minutes. Since we had the weekends off I'd relax Saturday and study for about a hour or two each Sunday. This worked for me I finished 4th out of 48 people in my class, the three that finished before me had LE backgrounds, I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapatio View Post

My method that has worked thus far is reading over the notes you took for the day.
                      Plus one on the prepping uniforms, boots, food and minor homework assignments.
                      This worked for me at a non-residential academy where we were home each night and on weekends. I was usually pretty tired at the end of the day. I would read my notes from that day (maybe 1 hour), shine my boots, iron my BDUs, pack my lunch, and go to sleep. I could usually fit in an hour of relaxing and watching t.v. while I shined my boots.

Our tests were almost always on Mondays so we had the weekend to study. That's when I would put in the most study time. I'd spend Saturday with my wife, grocery shopping, doing yard work, etc. And then I'd spend most of the day Sunday studying for the exam.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2972 users online. 150 members and 2822 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X