300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border Patrol Academy

Since I hear it has the most rigorous federal law-enforcement training program, I know it will be hard, but any feedback on what to expect? Everyday training, classroom training, marksmanship, arrest procedures, pursuit driving, unarmed self-defense, etc. I am considering USBP and want to be both mentally and physically prepared.

Lots of info here:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/borderpatrol/start

Be forewarned: They take posting VERY seriously. The moderators will almost certainly have one or two of their number on your board, and WILL figure out which applicant you are.

More:

http://www.honorfirst.com/academy.htm
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Okay thanks, I'm 13 and BP is one of my top career choices. So they actually find you, identify you, and know everything you post? Do they use that to determine if you get into the academy?

Comment

If you're 13 you have a ways to go yet. Things may be totally different and the forum may not even exist by then.

If you're a current applicant they do seem to put the pieces together. Officially it probably has no impact. Unofficially, who can say? An impression is an impression.

Keep in mind that, when you meet the minimum requirements: Age, college degree, etc... that will be the MINIMUM. The people you will be competing against will have all that, PLUS military service, service connected disabilities, postgraduate education, other law enforcement experience and so on.

You need more than the minimum to be competitive.

For now, concentrate on good grades, learn some Spanish, participate in sports and make fitness a normal part of your life. You'll be well prepared when the time comes, over those who have been generally unfit their entire lives and "get in shape for the academy".
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Before I applied for the academy, I planned to go to WCU ( Western Carolina University, a VERY good college located in North Carolina, my home state, with a very good criminal justice course. I plan to graduate with a bachelors in criminal justice, then join the Army (assuming I still want to join BP). After my ( 4 year, is it?) term of service, I plan to apply. I am a male, can run a mile in 6 minutes and 40 seconds, get good grades ( although science has taken a turn for the worst this quarter, am am getting excellent grades in math, language arts,social studies, band, and computer technology. I can also handle and shoot a Glock 19 accurately and with ease. Do you think I am qualified and have the right ideas in mind for my future?

Comment

I'm not a BPA, I've never been to their academy. I looked into applying when I first retired from the Army but that's all the knowledge I have.

That said, it's going to be a decade before you're ready to apply. Almost as long from now to then as from when you were born to now.

Something may happen, you may change your mind. You could get married, injured, develop other interests, join a cult... who knows.

At this point in your life simply plan and develop habits that make you a better person regardless of your future career: Physical fitness is never wasted; education is never wasted. Whether you're a cop, a construction worker or an accountant education and health are valuable.

If you really think you'd like to get into LE look into martial arts, school athletics, shooting if it's something that can be done in your area. Here in CO many teenagers shoot IDPA or IPSC with their parents or friends of their families.

If a local department has an Explorer program get involved in that. Focus on good grades in school. If you don't have them and suddenly you decide that what you want to do in life requires college, and most federal LE does, you'll have put yourself at a disadvantage.

If you do these things you'll be a well-rounded person prepared for whatever you decide to do with your life ten years from now.
            Last edited by tanksoldier; 03-15-2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

I used to think that a Border Patrol Officer's job was similar to being on the front lines in a war. You have people whose lives depend on them sneaking in and out of the country, and I figured that they would not be afraid to take your life to acheive that. However, I tried to search for statistics on how many Border Patrol Officers are killed in the line of duty. The best I could come up with was a list that only showed up to 2012. http://www.odmp.org/agency/4830-unit...-us-governmentAmazingly, causes of death were more on the line of "heat exhaustion" or a "duty related illness". That "duty related illness" has me wondering, but there were only 3 who reportedly died of it.

Comment

I am a Patrol Agent that graduated in 2010. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Its basically a grown up version of hide and seek with night vision and other cool toys.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxbeat19 View Post
                  Since I hear it has the most rigorous federal law-enforcement training program, I know it will be hard, but any feedback on what to expect? Everyday training, classroom training, marksmanship, arrest procedures, pursuit driving, unarmed self-defense, etc. I am considering USBP and want to be both mentally and physically prepared.
                  Academics were the main reason people failed from my class. We lost about 15 out of 50. If you have received some sort of technical training or have college experience you should be fine. marksmanship, arrest procedures,pursuit driving and self defense are good times. in my opinion, PT was the hardest part of the academy. some days I didn't think I had what it took to complete one more day of PT. One thing that some people are not mentally prepared for is being far from home at a full time live in academy for five months. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by taco verde View Post
                    Academics were the main reason people failed from my class. We lost about 15 out of 50. If you have received some sort of technical training or have college experience you should be fine. marksmanship, arrest procedures,pursuit driving and self defense are good times. in my opinion, PT was the hardest part of the academy. some days I didn't think I had what it took to complete one more day of PT. One thing that some people are not mentally prepared for is being far from home at a full time live in academy for five months. good luck.
                    Academics are not too bad. Study about 30mins a day including weekends and you will do fine. A lot of people were failing the academics and coupled with being yelled at lost the motivation to buckle down and just quit. In the end two people failed the academics. One was recommend to retread or start over because he came to every study session the instructor made available. The other person never bothered to show-up or even make a appearance at our student study sessions we set up.

started with 51 Trainees.
                    Graduated 32.
                    2 failed due to grades. 2 got hurt. The rest quit.
                    Out of those four fails. One academic guy retread and passed. The Hurt girl passed after healing and the other hurt person is now a Police officer in Texas close to home. He got called and hired while waiting to come back to BP academy.

Don't be afraid to go out and explore and take the trips provide for you on weekends. Just bring a law book for the bus ride to and from and you will be good. Its the people that don't study and want to party every weekend that don't do well.

Prior to going to the academy just make sure you can run a mile 1/2 at around the 11 min mark. Practice pushups, Situps and pull ups. With that you won't be a PT stud but won't be falling behind either.
                    Last edited by chuck9899; 03-21-2014, 11:11 AM.

Comment

What does PT entail? How many miles per day, push-ups, sit-ups, etc.. How bad are the DAs and how much do they yell at you? I know, seems like a dumb question, but I'm serious.

Comment

PT is 2 hours a day. Usually its 1 hour of tactics. Hand to hand, Baton, OC Spray Drills, The levels and response allowed on the use of force table. The other is actual PT. It varies according to instructor. we would run 2 miles every other day and do mat room the rest. A couple days we did some weights but not much and at least 2 days a week they had us run through the C-course.

Comment

2 days a week they had us run through the C-course.
                          What is the C-course, an obstacle course?

Comment

Yes an obstacle course, I believe its the Confidence course. It has the standard stuff.

1. You start with a 7-foot wooden wall, which is canted back toward you slightly. Your time starts when you touch the wall. This obstacle is mostly about technique.

2. Next comes the rope. You step up onto a pipe structure, grab a thick horizontal rope, and start swinging your way across--20 feet . You can also 'possum' crawl with your legs around the rope, but it takes forever. The easiest way is bladed (sideways), moving hand to hand and swing your body.

The first two obstacles are the most difficult.

3. you run and jump over a hole.

4. Next you will run through a series of pipe "hallways" (think of the strap handrails at the airport ticket counter). Grab the pipes at the ends in order to swing your momentum around. Pretty simple.

5. Now you have to walk across a large pipe Balance beam thingy.

6. Time to jump through a "train boxcar".

7. you will hop over two hurdles about 4 ft high.

8. Next comes the horizontal ladder "monkey bars," The first bar and last bar are marked with tape. You only need to touch those ones and can skip as many others as you want and even slap the last one as well.

9. After the monkey bars, you run through a low net, similar to the ones you see in football practice. You have to step in every square.

10. Next you run under or low crawl under a net. Think all those military academy movies.

11. You finish on a tall ladder. You have to touch the first red rung with both hands, then touch every rung to the top. Time stops when you touch the top rung.

You need to do it under 2 mins 30 seconds. You can trot through it easily in 2 mins

PT is where you will probably hear most of the yelling.

You basically have to accept the fact your going to mess up. You might get with it quick but other people might take longer. Your class gets split into two sections with leaders. If one person in your section messes up you all pay for it. Hell even if another section messes up you might pay for it even if you only have one class together with that section and it happened when you where not even together!!

In the end you will look back with classmates and laugh at some of the stuff. One of my friends did a left face on a right face march movement like 3 times in a row the second day. After the first one the instructors just started yelling at him. Well after that they marched us for two hours around the building over and over asking us if we now are left from our right!. Miserable that day but funny as hell now!
                            Last edited by chuck9899; 03-25-2014, 11:40 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7417 users online. 393 members and 7024 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X