300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backgrounds Process and Timing

In in backgrounds right now with an Orange County, CA agency and been told I should be getting contacted for a polygraph. It's been 2 weeks since I received that update. I feel like I shouldn't email and BG investigator and bug her? But since there is an Academy starting in March and another in May. Just curious as to how long I should realistically think I have before starting an academy assuming I get through the remaining steps. Just trying to plan for this with work and family.

Thanks for your input.

With all you have ahead of you, you may not make the May academy. Unless you are the best thing since peanut butter and they fast-track you, you're looking at at least 6 months. Background alone takes 40 work hours for an easy one, but that is spread out over weeks, sometimes months.

Comment

Relax and wait.

The timeframe is elastic. and the pace is that of a snail.

It sucks but it is what it is
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Ugh. That is what I was afraid of...

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          Relax and wait.

The timeframe is elastic. and the pace is that of a snail.

It sucks but it is what it is
          None of us have the “magic answer” some seek. Because none of us are part of the process with the agency, we are unable to tell you where you stand.

That said- it is a waiting game. Few- if any applicants ever get forgotten. This is due to litigation, accountability and tracking of applications, thus there is no real need to do anything other than wait.

Think about this- if there were 100 applicants in the pool and each sent an email or called just once- that works out to about 5 minutes per response for the BI, which comes out just over 8 hours to just respond to each query. That is a day wasted. That is another days wait.

Sit back and relax.
          Originally posted by SSD
          It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
          And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by socalpatrol1 View Post
            Ugh. That is what I was afraid of...
            You want an ugh moment- try: Stakeout duty. Try waiting for a warrant. Try sitting in court for an entire day waiting for your case to be called.

Police work is a waiting game. You wait and wait.
            Originally posted by SSD
            It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
            And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Some agencies have officers dedicated to do BI's especially larger ones. My agency does not have that luxury. Our investigators first responsibility is solving crimes and the BIs get done when they get done.
              In God We Trust
              Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

This agency has dedicated BI's. But I hear what you are all saying. Doesn't help that I am a bit older and NOT getting any younger.

Comment

welcome to the "hurry up and wait"
                  sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

When a BI is potentially looking for *grub* it takes time. They are in no hurry. They want to hire the best applicant as possible. The training & equipment is not cheap at all!
                    My badge bears no fault or guilt to take another persons life, if I am close to losing my own

sigpic

Comment

I did my background and interview and two weeks later took the polygraph and passed. It hasn't taken long thus far however now I have to wait for a position to open to be considered. Right now the positions open/opening are from officers who are retiring and they have to wait for their vacation time to end.. I was told 1-2 months after I took the polygraph on the 25th of January. If that's the case I'll be working the jail until may.
                      Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for I am the meanest son of a bitch in the valley and I carry Black Death.

Comment

Originally posted by socalpatrol1 View Post
                        This agency has dedicated BI's. But I hear what you are all saying. Doesn't help that I am a bit older and NOT getting any younger.

Well, what you've got to keep in mind is that each of these investigators has a multi file case load. Yours is but one of them.

My Agency assigns Backgrounds to line supervisors who perform them as time and circumstances allow. Collateral Duty in other words. Either way the key word is "wait".

Should you get the call though, every moment of the "wait" will have been worth it.

Comment

You've waited 2 WHOLE weeks?!?!
                          Originally posted by RSGSRT
                          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Yeah. Funny enough shortly after that post investigator blevins gave me a call and he ended up at my house an hour later having me look over and sign some questions I answered in the interview.

Hopefully I'll hear some good news in the next month or two. I wish you luck as well.
                            Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for I am the meanest son of a bitch in the valley and I carry Black Death.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                              You've waited 2 WHOLE weeks?!?!
                              Got the call for Poly - I go in a week.... I appreciate everyones input. It seems in reality I am moving at a fair clip. Also in the works with another local department that seems to be moving quickly as well. So I will just keep running and waiting.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8045 users online. 266 members and 7779 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X