300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can be done about a bad eval? <California

I hesitate about posting this on here but I was extremely ****ed off and need to do something about this. So here is the story.

I was trying to get hired on back when the economy went to crap. I was having no luck so I decided to self sponsor myself through the local police academy to give me a leg up in the hiring process. I got special attention in the academy from one instructor but worked hard and held on to the thought of one day graduating and getting a cop job. I graduated successfully and while I waited on hiring processes took a normal job.

I was making it to Captain and chief interviews and being non selected so I decided to go back to school and earn my Bachelors degree and eventually my Masters. I am back looking to get hired on and I had the most real Background interview I've ever had. This investigator told quoted things from my final evaluation from my Training Officer in the academy and boy did he torch me.

Pretty much I was the worst recruit ever and he highlights my academics, physical testing, driving, shooting, defensive tactics and command presence as unsatisfactory. I also find out my GPA for the academy was 90.7% and there is a reference to me being ranked one of the highest on the POST work sample test battery. On both POST work samples I scored over 700(if you know anything about the points break down that's pretty high). So how was I unsatisfactory on pretty much EVERYTHING it takes to be a cop and yet I passed the academy, when others failed out for failing on academics and shooting?

So I am not out of their hiring process but how do I over come this? I pointed out the inconsistencies in the eval(The very lengthy eval written by an English major) but how do I deal with this? I've applied for every agency in the county and to hear this BS is stinking up my file... there is not wonder why I haven't been picked up. Literally EVERYTHING is apparently wrong with me by the way this TO wrote it.

I am thankful for this 1 Investigator to tell me in great detail all this stuff. I've gotten Non selection letters and super vague responses up until now.

Same replies as before...
    Try to file a grievance or formal complaint.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Your situation isn't going to change with you initiating a new thread here. You received some good advice (believe it or not) on your initial thread.

Comment

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Your situation isn't going to change with you initiating a new thread here.
          One definition of insanity is: Doing the same thing in the same circumstances and expecting a different result.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by Mchl496 View Post
            I hesitate about posting this on here but I was extremely ****ed off and need to do something about this. So here is the story.

I was trying to get hired on back when the economy went to crap. I was having no luck so I decided to self sponsor myself through the local police academy to give me a leg up in the hiring process. I got special attention in the academy from one instructor but worked hard and held on to the thought of one day graduating and getting a cop job. I graduated successfully and while I waited on hiring processes took a normal job.

I was making it to Captain and chief interviews and being non selected so I decided to go back to school and earn my Bachelors degree and eventually my Masters. I am back looking to get hired on and I had the most real Background interview I've ever had. This investigator told quoted things from my final evaluation from my Training Officer in the academy and boy did he torch me.

Pretty much I was the worst recruit ever and he highlights my academics, physical testing, driving, shooting, defensive tactics and command presence as unsatisfactory. I also find out my GPA for the academy was 90.7% and there is a reference to me being ranked one of the highest on the POST work sample test battery. On both POST work samples I scored over 700(if you know anything about the points break down that's pretty high). So how was I unsatisfactory on pretty much EVERYTHING it takes to be a cop and yet I passed the academy, when others failed out for failing on academics and shooting?

So I am not out of their hiring process but how do I over come this? I pointed out the inconsistencies in the eval(The very lengthy eval written by an English major) but how do I deal with this? I've applied for every agency in the county and to hear this BS is stinking up my file... there is not wonder why I haven't been picked up. Literally EVERYTHING is apparently wrong with me by the way this TO wrote it.

I am thankful for this 1 Investigator to tell me in great detail all this stuff. I've gotten Non selection letters and super vague responses up until now.
            I will wade into this one-

You can do little to nothing about the evaluation. Your aggregate score is one thing- the assessment by an instructor is another. I knew lots of academically qualifying recruits who were abysmal during field training.

As for assessments/references provided by anyone else- while they may temper or even mitigate the bad one- it still exists and is from a critical assessment period—that being during the academy.

If you intend to run this down the first stop should be the academy in question. NOT the instructor, but the academy. You should 1st request a copy of your records to see what’s in it. If after reviewing the file you object to something- ask for their policy regarding appealing such. Understanding that they may not allow or provide for appealing these assessments.

Again- while net score or grades are sometimes looked at- it is the appraisal of your training cadre that carries the most weight.
            Originally posted by SSD
            It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
            And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

In the past we hired people that had put themselves thru a academy. If you have the diploma we will give you a chance. But you still have to pass background. We had several that were nut cases and the shrink drop them. As an FTO I had one that had all types of degrees and the academy evaluation said he was a 'slacker' and he sure was. We flunked him on probation because we are not hiring glorified security guards, his only ideal about police work was watching t.v.

Comment

Well since then I've been hired on and start Monday. I am thankful for the advice people have given. i will have to do a new academy but i am glad to be given an opportunity to show what i am capable of.

Comment

Oh and I didn't create 2 threads separately, I made 2 threads on the same day because I didn't know if I was posting it in the correct area.

Comment

Originally posted by Che View Post
                    In the past we hired people that had put themselves thru a academy. If you have the diploma we will give you a chance. But you still have to pass background. We had several that were nut cases and the shrink drop them. As an FTO I had one that had all types of degrees and the academy evaluation said he was a 'slacker' and he sure was. We flunked him on probation because we are not hiring glorified security guards, his only ideal about police work was watching t.v.
                    What county if I can ask? I'm in the California POST academy and looking for advice as well.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3582 users online. 214 members and 3368 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X