300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy - Hired or Not?

So, my biggest concern is spending the money and time to get ACT120 certified at my local academy, Temple University Academy, and then graduating with no guarantee of a job.
    It seems like the smartest thing to do is get hired first and have that department send you to the academy or get something in writing from the department that will ensure your placement after graduating.
    If this IS the best option and way to go, how do I find departments that are hiring with the ability to send new hires to the academy? I know Philly offers this as I already applied with them as well as the State Police, but how do I find other departments like this?

Thanks for your comments...

I don't know about anywhere else, but here in Texas TCOLE has a list of academies on their website. I would suspect that it is similar in other states.
    To me, what would really suck is to go through the time and expense to put myself through an academy and then get hired by someplace that made me turn around and go through it again at their in house academy.
    In God We Trust
    Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Typically, on PA job listings, the posting will say, "Act 120 certification required" or "Act 120 certification preferred" or, if you're lucky, "Act 120 not required." Just thoroughly read any postings you come across because they usually all mention this somewhere.

Comment

Truth is, there really aren't many departments (aside from the big ones... PGH, Philly, Harrisburg, PSP, etc) that are willing or capable to put cadets through the academy.

Of course it's better to get hired on and have your Act 120 paid for, but those jobs are few and far between. And yeah, even after spending 6 months (or 12 if you're part time) and $$$$ putting yourself through, you may not be hired. It's a gamble.

A couple cadets in my academy got job offers very late in the process (6-8 weeks away from graduation) where once they graduated, they were hired right in. Those were with pretty small time departments though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Blue View Post
          I don't know about anywhere else, but here in Texas TCOLE has a list of academies on their website. I would suspect that it is similar in other states.
          To me, what would really suck is to go through the time and expense to put myself through an academy and then get hired by someplace that made me turn around and go through it again at their in house academy.
          ya like dps!

they may do a shorter modified, but "f" that shyte
          sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

I imagine that only the major metros and state police send people to the academy. You are going to have to troll the internet looking at job postings, hoping to find one that sends people to the academy.

Comment

Around here most county's and even alot of the real small departments will sponsor people into the academy.Best thing is to go talk to chiefs at local PDs near you .

Alot of the small PDs use this to get officers because they pay less than anyone else. So they rely on new officers to patrol. This is a 2 sided coin tho. They get a young officer they train for a low salary which they know wont stay long normally. What you get is your time in on the streets which helps you get n at larger departments later on for more money.

They may not have but 1 spot a year ,but its a chance and how alot around here get free schooling and a job ,sometimes may even be as a reserve until a full time spot opens.

Comment

Originally posted by wutzcrack3n View Post
                ya like dps!

they may do a shorter modified, but "f" that shyte
                I have done two academies and as much as I would like to be DPS and take a shot at becoming a Ranger...well two is enough for me. I can be very content with being a deputy.
                In God We Trust
                Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Just because no one else has mentioned it:

Make sure you take a close, HONEST look at your self, your qualifications/resume and especially your background to make sure you are eligible/hire-able. That will be the biggest difference in whether you'll be able to find a sworn job when you come out, no matter where you are.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8758 users online. 306 members and 8452 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X