300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots and shoes for academy

with my academy approaching (January 13) I need to begin purchasing the required materials. the only stipulation on the boots is that the need to be able to be shined. any recommendation on specific brands to get or to stay away from? thanks

i had bates and i loved them, got some 511's now and like them alot too
    sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

You might want to add a little physical description to help out. I've heard great things about Bates, but I am smaller, and in their smaller boot sizes - I was not impressed. I love my thorogood's - but I have heard some bigger guys say they weren't great for them.

Comment

I have the Bates 8" Tactical and I really like them. Not only do they look sweet, they're very durable and hold up well, and easy to clean. The one downfall though is that it's not very "dressy" looking. Our academy it wasn't a big concern in regards to that, but the Bates have a lot of mesh on the sides and don't really look like dress shoes. One of my buddies (who used to wear Bates too) just got the 5.11 ATAC Storm's and loves them. I can't speak on the specifics of that one, but from the pictures it looks alot more like a boot/dress shoe. I still stand by the Bates though.

Comment

I'm going with the New Balance TAB boots, very stiff and takes a little time to break them in. But they're getting more comfortable every day and the toes shine up really nice. No dress shoes for my academy, running shoes are the only other shoes we bring.

Comment

I've worn Bates since 2001. LOVE them. Other people hate them. Try some on, walk around in them - run around in them, if you can. Just get a feeling for them.

As for a shine - you can put a shine on any pair of boots with a rag, some water, some boot polish, and some effort. YouTube was a GREAT reference for me to learn how to shine my boots (never served in the military). Others use the stuff you just wipe on, which I think is cheating, but whatever. I had a friend buy a cheap pair of high gloss boots and use them for inspection only, then change into his regular boots.
            Originally posted by RSGSRT
            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

http://www.galls.com/ridge-air-tac-p...pper-duty-boot

I am a die hard fan of Ridge boots.
              1*

Comment

I wore Danner boots throughout my career until this summer. I picked up a pair of Under Armor boots that are significantly lighter weight. I don't expect them to hold up as well over time, but that is something I am willing to deal with in exchange for the lighter weight.
                In God We Trust
                Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Yeah, Danners are great for durability and inclement weather, horrible for weight.

Comment

I wore Bates Ultra Lites for the academy. They shine up really well and are light weight. We weren't allowed to have side zippers and could only use standard shoe polish on them, no leather luster or even parade gloss allowed.

After the academy I started wearing Nike Special Field Boots, which are amazing. They don't shine up well though because the leather is pretty soft.

Comment

I bought Under Armour Tactical's for the academy. They shine up just like my combat boots did in the Army (leather uppers), are lighter than any other boot I tried on (Bate's, 5-11, a couple of others), seem to have a great sole on them for traction, have zip-up sides, and a smaller profile than other boots in the same size (for example, the toe is smaller and not as high as other boots... figure it might be important when sticking my foot in holes or something when climbing). The only cons I have so far is that the pull tab on the zipper seems kinda flimsy; it flexes slightly when I zip up the boots, which makes me think it will eventually break. Also, I splashed through some water and immediately felt it go through the lower laces/tongue of the boot into my socks... I was hoping they would be a little more water resistant than that. All in all, I love them so far! We'll see how durable they are as I go through the academy.

Comment

I've had 2 pair of Bates.
                        Pros: clean easy, shine easy, fit a wide foot great.
                        Cons: every damn pair I've had split on the heel.

I now have 2 pair of 5.11's that I wouldn't trade for anything. 8" zippered side for on duty, 6" laced for off duty.
                        Ask them, Tell them, Make them.

Comment

What kind of socks are best to wear with the boots?

Comment

Danner boots are great. They're expensive, but what you get is quality. They shine better than any I've seen and they last a long time. And when the soles wear down, danner will replace them for free up to 3 times. I had my pair from the 1st week in the academy, and I didn't have to get the soles replaced for about 3 years. The pair I got are advertised as blood resistant, which has come in handy. They are comfortable, but not the most comfy and they are heavier than others.

I recommend going to the store and trying them on, like you would any other footwear. There isn't one best pair of duty boots.

"Shine 'em up, lace 'em up, put 'em on my feet... A good pair of duty boots can't be beat."

Comment

Originally posted by Engel1 View Post
                              What kind of socks are best to wear with the boots?
                              Black work socks. Dress socks are too thin (unless it's really hot out) and ankle sock are a bad idea because you'll get blisters.

5.11 makes good socks, especially for the winter.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11064 users online. 381 members and 10683 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X