Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerohead
    replied
    What do they call the person who graduates last in his class in medical school?

Doctor.

Leave a comment:

• BiteThePullet
    replied
    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    Six year old thread...
    I was about to reply too......guess I'll add my .02 because no one asked me and I like inserting my opinion as a rookie into conversations between senior officers. They give me this look that makes me feel really included in the group

I will echo some of the past advice.....the Academy is pass, or fail. If you start over training and injure yourself, you fail. If you start over training and neglect to study, or clean your weapon so you fail quals, you fail.

Granted, you very well may be able to train outside of class, improve your run time, and still pass all other requirements - is it worth the risk? I have been on the street for under 1 year. Compared to the other posters, I graduated the Academy yesterday. However, I can tell you that my Admin, and coworkers, already have literally no memory of how I did in the Academy, what my scores were, or what my work was like.

The only thing that remained relevant was that certificate I received at the end (and all the great training I got along the way)

Leave a comment:

• careerchange#2
    commented on 's reply
    I'll bite.....
    What is it you are struggling with? Out of breath? Slower? Injury?

• CCCSD
    replied
    Six year old thread...

Leave a comment:

• woahfana123
    replied
    Hey! I read your older post from 2013 about Being behind in the class during runs. Im also a female struggling with the same issue. I beat myself up about it everyday. Im usually 1 min and 40 seconds behind the class . I hate it and I hate being last. Im also on week 11 out of 21. Any advice? Thanks a bunch

Leave a comment:

• officer_froggy
    replied
    Haha...I posted that after my last reply.

Leave a comment:

• WPD954
    replied
    the pink gun was a clue

Leave a comment:

• officer_froggy
    replied
    Wow, thank you everyone for your support!

By the way....

I'm also a "SHE".

Leave a comment:

• btfp
    replied
    So what, you are 2 laps behind. if you have to do 14;10 for yur time and you do 14:10 who cares if the rest of the class clocks in at 6:36?

i am quite sure you are getting high marks academically in some classes while speedy gonzales comes in at 70.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

He's not going to become the top runner in his class, and MAY hurt his times or impact his performance in other areas if he tries. Even if he moves up 10% or 20% is that worth the time and potential injury? Probably not..
    Or seriously hurt himself........thus impacting not only his current full time job BUT any future job.

I will take a graduate that "struggled" but passed over the top student ALMOST every time. That person show me more drive than someone that breezes through leaving everyone else in the dust.

As long as the person is doing THEIR personal best AND passing the minimum requirements---they are good to me

Underdogs often make the best employees (not limiting that to Law Enforcement)

I also agree 100% with sgtjon's entire reply

Leave a comment:

• sunnymw
    replied
    I agree with tanksoldier. I tried to do the academy full time, PLUS 3 kids under 7, PLUS part time job. During week 9 I wrecked my car. 100% my fault, wasn't as focused as I should have been due to exhaustion. It was a wake up call for sure. I was lucky I wasn't injured (the vests we are required to wear daily spread out the crash forces over my body--SO WEAR THEM!). I was lucky the cadet driving in front of me wasn't injured.

I left the part time job. Are we struggling financially? Hell yes. But am I more rested, focused, and doing better in class? Absolutely.

Take care of yourself!

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    Originally posted by kaju View Post
    I completely disagree with this mindset...
    I suspect you've never been strung out with literally 28 hours of things to do and only 24 hours in the day. I don't know if you're lacking in life experience or if there's another issue but your advice is horrible.

Time management and prioritization are key in his situation.

He's passing his runs with a time acceptable to his instructor.

Spending his limited time on running is pointless and counterproductive.

He's not going to become the top runner in his class, and MAY hurt his times or impact his performance in other areas if he tries. Even if he moves up 10% or 20% is that worth the time and potential injury? Probably not.

Being in better shape prior to the academy would have been a good idea... but he wasn't. Now he has to deal with his situation as it sits.

He has to finish the academy. That means staying injury free and passing the various hurdles and tests. He also has to be hired and pass FTO after graduating, which means not having a nagging injury to contend with.

Not everybody who graduates gets the job, but NOBODY who fails to graduate gets the job. Get the cert, worry about after the academy after the academy. Trying to be Joe Supercadet when you're just not that guy risks your career and health before you've even gotten started.

Eating, sleeping and studying... and working... likely should have a higher priority.

If he's better rested and better fed his run times MAY improve on their own. Running or performing other physical activity when you're exhausted will never provide your best results.

Hard-charging mindsets like yours are great... until you injure yourself, fall asleep driving home or fail a test. He has to do it all at an acceptable level. So far he is.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 11-23-2013, 08:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pittguy1984
    replied
    Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
    My advice is to follow this advice.

When you're on a hectic schedule such as yours it's easy to wear yourself out. Over training, sleep deprivation, nutritional problems are all potential issues. Sacrificing one to improve another may hurt you elsewhere, and may not significant improve your performance in any case.

Getting better sleep and eating better may improve your PT performance more than additional workouts.

At the end of the day, being in the top performers is nice but the point of academy is to graduate... period. Better preparation would have been nice, but now you have to run with what you have. You're in survival mode. As long as you're surviving you're good.

You know what they call the guy who graduates in last place in medical school? Doctor.

Get thru it, learn ALL the lessons academy is teaching you (not just the ones in the curriculum) and apply them when your graduate.
    I agree completely! The most important thing is to pass your PT tests and graduate. How would you feel if you pushed your body beyond its limits and suffered an injury on week 29 just to fail the PT test? I HATE running and was one of the slower ones in my class, but on test day we all cared more about making sure each of us passed than who finished first and last, so don't beat yourself up too much about the time. Keep doing what your doing, but most importantly stay healthy and safe and take it one step at a time!

Leave a comment:

• sgt jon
    replied
    Here is where I chime in.

While striving for the top marks is always great- being #1 in the academy does not equate to being a good cop. I can tell you from 1st hand experience that it was the “Super Recruit” who gave me the most issues during FTO and later. Granted, I faced issues from #32 of 32 recruits as well as from middle of the pack folks- but in the end I want an officer who is putting forth full effort and who can also self assess, correct deficiencies and more importantly- take input from those who know; in this case, the PT Instructor.

Originally posted by kaju View Post
    I completely disagree with this mindset... Every single cadet should strive and desire to be on top, not so they can say they're better than their peers, but for themselves. Especially in froggy's situation where he is in a self sponsored academy and does not have a job yet. Countless people each year drift through the self sponsored academies thinking at the end, finding a job is a piece of cake because they have their POST. When your background investigator calls your academy director, do you want to be one who merely "graduated" or one who kicked *** the entire way through and deserves a job?

In this profession the ones who merely "graduate" aren't always called officer. I understand that not everyone is going to have the natural talent, physical abilities or smarts to be the best, but that should never stop anyone from trying to always be the best.

As for the running.. If you want to get better you need to run. Just get out there and do it. Don't be so focused on how fast your running, focus on just getting it done. If you consistently keep at it and gradually work your distance up, you will see improvements in your speed once you return to lower distances.

Leave a comment:

• officer_froggy
    replied
    Kaju,

You're correct also. And please don't misunderstand that I am not putting my best foot forward (no pun intended). I absolutely strive to be on top, and do try my absolute hardest in every aspect. The physical aspect just isn't happening for me the way I'd like it to. I will, however, try and run more on what little off time I do have.

Believe me when I say I understand the job situation. I have already taken 2 county consortiums, including 3 written tests and 2 agilities with one more coming up in December. I'm getting my name out there and the experience as soon as possible. I would say half the people in my class have not even taken one test yet and the consortiums won't come around again until 4 months after graduation. I didn't want to wait that long. I realize how competitive the field is and therefore got a jump on it right away.

I get what tanksoldier's point is in saying "You know what they call the guy who graduates in last place in medical school? Doctor." I don't think he really meant that, hey, I'm good if I just coast through and finish, I'm good to go and someone will just pin a badge on me (since I'm not sponsored.) Just that I should do my best and not concern myself SO MUCH about being the fastest. I know there are people in my class that wish they were doing as well as me academically. I wish I could run as fast as the guy who could be an Olympic sprinter. For me, it just makes me want to do better.

Thanks for your input!

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8107 users online. 367 members and 7740 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X