X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kaju
    replied
    Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
    At the end of the day, being in the top performers is nice but the point of academy is to graduate... period. Better preparation would have been nice, but now you have to run with what you have. You're in survival mode. As long as you're surviving you're good.

You know what they call the guy who graduates in last place in medical school? Doctor.
    I completely disagree with this mindset... Every single cadet should strive and desire to be on top, not so they can say they're better than their peers, but for themselves. Especially in froggy's situation where he is in a self sponsored academy and does not have a job yet. Countless people each year drift through the self sponsored academies thinking at the end, finding a job is a piece of cake because they have their POST. When your background investigator calls your academy director, do you want to be one who merely "graduated" or one who kicked *** the entire way through and deserves a job?

In this profession the ones who merely "graduate" aren't always called officer. I understand that not everyone is going to have the natural talent, physical abilities or smarts to be the best, but that should never stop anyone from trying to always be the best.

As for the running.. If you want to get better you need to run. Just get out there and do it. Don't be so focused on how fast your running, focus on just getting it done. If you consistently keep at it and gradually work your distance up, you will see improvements in your speed once you return to lower distances.

Leave a comment:

• officer_froggy
    replied
    Thanks Phillicanon, I'll check that out for sure! Good luck in your endeavors and thank you for your service!

Leave a comment:

• Phillicanon
    replied
    Hey Froggy look up pose running. I'm in the army and going to academy in January. I've always struggle with until my friend who is a long distance runner showed me what it is and how to apply it. I went from a 16:40 in a 2 mile run to 11:48. Over a course of 2 months. Also run up and down hills to help strengthen yours legs.

Leave a comment:

• officer_froggy
    replied
    Shush, exactly!! Thanks for your reply also.

Leave a comment:

• Shush
    replied
    Originally posted by officer_froggy View Post
    But, as we've been told by many an instructor, a mile and a half run is not something you do on the street and all of them hated running.

QFT. I absolutely HATE timed running for distance. I'd rather do wind sprints every day than run 1.5 miles once a month. I struggle with distance runs BIG TIME. I just can't wrap my brain around choosing to run that far after a guy instead of sprinting back to the car and chasing him down with 400 hp, fossil fuel fired muscle, the way God intended!

Leave a comment:

• officer_froggy
    replied
    Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
    You know what they call the guy who graduates in last place in medical school? Doctor.
    This made me chuckle a bit, but I get it. Academically I do extremely well, which, to me, is more important than running a mile and a half in 12 minutes. Is it good to have the stamina to run that well? Sure it is. But, as we've been told by many an instructor, a mile and a half run is not something you do on the street and all of them hated running.

At this point, I'm definitely surviving. I can't wait to get hired somewhere, even though I have a long way to go still in the academy. Overall, I love it. We have a great class and have a lot of fun with it.

Thank you for your advice, it was stated perfectly.
    Last edited by officer_froggy; 11-20-2013, 12:01 PM. Reason: Didn't quote correctly

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    My PT instructor has told me not to push myself too hard and not worry about what anyone else thinks or says, as long as I'm passing my tests.
    My advice is to follow this advice.

When you're on a hectic schedule such as yours it's easy to wear yourself out. Over training, sleep deprivation, nutritional problems are all potential issues. Sacrificing one to improve another may hurt you elsewhere, and may not significant improve your performance in any case.

Getting better sleep and eating better may improve your PT performance more than additional workouts.

At the end of the day, being in the top performers is nice but the point of academy is to graduate... period. Better preparation would have been nice, but now you have to run with what you have. You're in survival mode. As long as you're surviving you're good.

Get thru it, learn ALL the lessons academy is teaching you (not just the ones in the curriculum) and apply them when your graduate.

Leave a comment:

• officer_froggy
    started a topic Academy running troubles

Academy running troubles

Hi all....

I'm in my 16th week of part time academy, and have about 30 weeks to go. When I started the academy, I had been out of commission with a back injury for 2 months and wasn't able to run or do situps. Despite having lost 40 lbs since I decided to apply for the academy (about a 12 month period from then til now), my running hasn't improved (in fact, it's gotten worse.) We periodically test to make sure we can pass at the 50th percentile, and I can pass everything. I've also taken 2 county agility tests and passed as well. The problem is, I am about 2 laps behind everyone else during PT. I just can't keep up with the group. Thankfully, we don't get punishment for it, but it's still embarrassing. My PT instructor has told me not to push myself too hard and not worry about what anyone else thinks or says, as long as I'm passing my tests.

My biggest issue is my schedule. I am working full time--as most everyone else in my class is--however, I'm working 2300-0700. So my schedule is class Mon-Thu nights, 1700-2130, then, depending on my work schedule (4 on, 2 off), some weeks I am also going straight from school to work every night I have school. After work I go home and go to sleep and try to sleep as late as I can before getting ready to go back to school. Most days I get 6-7 hours of broken sleep. I'm at a loss to find where I can fit in the extra workouts I need to improve myself. Is this something I just need to suck up and lose sleep in order to get the workouts in? And my eating schedule is all screwed up as well.

Any advice would be appreciated....websites I can refer to....anything. I'm getting a bit discouraged.

Thanks!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10270 users online. 478 members and 9792 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X