300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People quitting academy?

Hi everyone. I just want to get your opinions and/or experience as to why people drop out of the academy. One if the FTOs to the department I'm in process with (just passed oral) mentioned that 20-30% of people who make it to the paid academy in that department end up dropping out. I'm just having a little bit of trouble wrapping my mind around how an individual can make it through a pretty rigorous, several month long hiring process and then drop the whole thing in the middle of their training. Thanks.

Does he have any statistics to support that, or is that his educated guess? That sounds like a pretty high rate for drop-out (except for state police academies).

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

In my academy the very mentally weak dropped in the first two days. There was an LODD the first week of the academy with one of the agencies that sponsors recruits. The entire academy attended a funeral on Friday. A few less people showed up on Monday. Besides that we had one leave for family reasons and a few fail out. Not too many DOR after the first few weeks.
      Last edited by CQB_0316; 11-09-2013, 04:42 PM.
      USMC 2006-2011

3rd Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team 2006-2009
      2/7 Fox Raiders 2009-2010
      Provost Marshall's Office 2010-2011

CA POST Academy 2011-2012

Comment

We lost 44% of our original class (the academy average is about 30% - we were just "special"). Many quit or were "injured" in the first few weeks because they couldn't handle the physical and mental stress. Some were actually injured (and allowed to roll into future academy) and a couple failed academically. Most who quit did it because they didn't really mentally grasp what they were signing up for and thought being a cop might be for them and sounded interesting. Then when they arrive at the academy face-to-face with it and realize its going to take some serious effort on their part they just give up because they aren't willing to put up with the stress/games/demands of the academy.

Comment

We had people failing out,but not quitting. Score under a 80 twice on any written test thru out the academy and you were gone.no retest or exceptions.

Comment

When I tested with the PSP, one of the Troopers said a cadet quit in the first week because he found out that he would be required to use a gun.

But I went through another academy, and it was the same reasons as everyone has stated. Mostly the drop outs were the first couple weeks.

Comment

Because some people have absolutely no idea what they have gotten themselves into.

Comment

too fat to do the physical work.
                got another higher paying job.
                got injured.
                decided its not what they want to do.
                this list could go on and on forever. many reasons.
                NYPD Exam 4324
                List number 1**

Comment

At least in new jersey I think it has a lot to do with people not being mentally prepared for the academy. I can't speak for other states but our academy is para-military. Di's yelling at recruits heavy on pt. a lot of the younger recruits have never dealt with anyone yelling at them. But like others have said most that drop out do it with in the first day or first week.
                  "This $hit is chess not checkers" - Best advice I ever got on this job.

Comment

When I came through the academy, we had to box another recruit for three 3 minute rounds. Many of them had never been in a fight or had never taken a real punch. A lot of people dropped either when they found out they had to box; two quit when they actually got hit.

That was my very first OJI. I lost two front teeth in the second round and had to get a bridge. But I finished my rounds, and closed that fokkers eye for a week. And he didn't make probation, he quit before his year was up.

One guy didn't survive the first day. We had to write a memo on the importance of following directions. To this day, I still remember what he wrote...." I can't believe we have to put up with all this bureaucratic bullschit just to be a cop"

The staff went ballistic. The academy commander was an Inspector with over 30 years on, overweight, heavy smoker and very much old school police; he personally came to the classroom, yanked that dude out of his desk, and physically tossed his *** out in the street. Then he tossed his notebook, personal belongings and the desk on top of him and dared him to go to city hall to complain.

Comment

We lost a few in my class. Some couldn't take it, one had his ribs broken in CAT training, some for medical and personal reasons. Some academy's are harder then others. I went to the Illinois State Police Academy, it is no joke inside that fence.
                      We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

****, I remember two guys that quit one week after graduating the academy. I felt bad for them. To take the test and pass it. Wait two to three years to get called and processed. Then drop whatever you have been doing to enter into the academy. You BUY uniforms , equiptment, and get in the academy. Up and down push ups, running, combat and getting yelled at everyday until you graduate. All just to dropout? Mortifying.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                          Because some people have absolutely no idea what they have gotten themselves into.
                          Reread this post about 1000 times.....this is a major factor in why people fail or quit.

Another is the 'trophy generation' that we are drawing recruits from.....they have never been held to a standard, and have been awarded for simply showing up.
                          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

We average a 20-30% in our academy.....it was almost 40% in mine, but that was 25 years ago
                            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                              Reread this post about 1000 times.....this is a major factor in why people fail or quit.

Another is the 'trophy generation' that we are drawing recruits from.....they have never been held to a standard, and have been awarded for simply showing up.
                              And this forum proves the deputies post..................

Read some of the post of those who come on here asking questions.............MANY of them who are paying out good money for pay for stay academies ------------and still asking questions about things they should know before entering the process

We see many of that type of "applicant" here on the O.
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9593 users online. 440 members and 9153 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X