300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• might be a stupid questiom

If I attend the police academy, but sponsor myself and dont get hired afterwards, would I have arrest powers?

Your presumption would be correct.
    Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
    “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
    “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
    "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
    ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Originally posted by TacMac View Post
      If I attend the police academy, but sponsor myself and dont get hired afterwards, would I have arrest powers?
      QFP

Plan on winging it solo and cleaning up Gotham there Batman?

It is a silly question. You would not have any more powers than what is granted to every other citizen under the Constitution. Just taking some training classes doesn't make you the po-po

Comment

That would be the exception to the rule of there being no such thing as a stupid question.

POLICE powers (such as powers of arrest etc) are granted when you become a COMMISSIONED officer/deputy. Being an "academy graduate" and a $1.25 will get you a cup of coffee at a 7-11
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

"No". You do NOT acquire arrest powers until you're a duly appointed, sworn officer. Your state may provide for "Citizen's Arrrests", however, that's not the power(s) you'd have as a sworn officer.

Comment

Well now I know. I wasn't planning on doing this but I guy I work with is a certified peace officer.

Comment

The way your question was phrased led us to believe you were asking on your own behalf.

So, is Mr. Certified claiming that he has full time powers of arrest because he went to a cop school? The quickest way to find out how wrong he is would be to put that into practice.

Simply out, a fully certified officer must be commissioned by the state where they intend to work and employed by some agency or entity willing and able to assume some measure of liability for their actions on behalf of that agency/entity. A somewhat limited exception may be for those states that still have the position of constable.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopshopcop View Post
                The way your question was phrased led us to believe you were asking on your own behalf.

So, is Mr. Certified claiming that he has full time powers of arrest because he went to a cop school? The quickest way to find out how wrong he is would be to put that into practice.

Simply out, a fully certified officer must be commissioned by the state where they intend to work and employed by some agency or entity willing and able to assume some measure of liability for their actions on behalf of that agency/entity. A somewhat limited exception may be for those states that still have the position of constable.
                No I dont think he ever claimed he had arrest powers. I never talk to him but I know from others thathes a licensed peace officer. I was just genuinely curious. And im in the process of getting into Allen PD.

Comment

So does it only look good for PD applications?

Comment

I can't answer that for you. Every agency has their own standards of what they consider acceptable. My agency requires everyone to attend their academy no matter how long you were a cop, no matter what academy you've attended, no matter what certs you may have.

The academy I went to has always been owned, operated and funded by the city PD. They take the applications, conduct all the backgrounds, interviews, medicals, in short, everything. I have no experience with pay academies and I personally think of most of them as diploma mills for cops. In many cases, taking your money and calling you certified with zero job prospects.

Many people have posted on here before with tales of woe about shelling out thousands of bucks in "tuition", getting certified and still can't get a job; many more found out once hired, they still had to attend an academy for their agency. In fairness, there are some on here that attended a pay academy and found jobs, but their successes are far fewer than most

Comment

I can't answer that for you. Every agency has their own standards of what they consider acceptable. My agency requires everyone to attend their academy no matter how long you were a cop, no matter what academy you've attended, no matter what certs you may have.

The academy I went to has always been owned, operated and funded by the city PD. They take the applications, conduct all the backgrounds, interviews, medicals, in short, everything. I have no experience with pay academies and I personally think of most of them as diploma mills for cops. In many cases, taking your money and calling you certified with zero job prospects.

Many people have posted on here before with tales of woe about shelling out thousands of bucks in "tuition", getting certified and still can't get a job; many more found out once hired, they still had to attend an academy for their agency. In fairness, there are some on here that attended a pay academy and found jobs, but their successes are far fewer than most
                      Seems like a waste then

Comment

depends on your area. There are lots of agency's in Florida that will not hire a non certified. They dont want to foot the bill to send people through the academy in these economic times. I put myself through and got on as a reserve, but could have gone full time just as easy.

Like I said, it all just depends on where you are at.

Comment

Seems like a waste then
                          Not if you are in a state where it is the only way to get certified
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                            That would be the exception to the rule of there being no such thing as a stupid question.

POLICE powers (such as powers of arrest etc) are granted when you become a COMMISSIONED officer/deputy. Being an "academy graduate" and a $1.25 will get you a cup of coffee at a 7-11
                            The free drink was the only perk I've got since I graduated, and that only happened once on graduation day.

Comment

Seems like a waste then
                              Kermit and Iowa nailed it. Pennsylvania is the same way except for the State Police or one of the bigger cities that will put you through their own academies. I did a self sponsored academy and I don't regret it. People might knock on them and think you "pay for them to hand you a certificate", but we went through the exact same training and courses that any other officer in the state goes through, we just don't have a job lined up after we graduate - which does suck. And since were not sworn officers, we don't have any police powers, we're just backstreet drivers until we get hired.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8655 users online. 456 members and 8199 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X