Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time off for special occasions in academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time off for special occasions in academy?

Hello,

cantseem to find any threads about thus. What are some of the policies from different California Academies about taking a day off for a special occasion you don't have any control over? For example: a sibling will be getting married while you are in the academy?

Thank you for any responses.

Originally posted by Peacemaker54 View Post
    Hello,

cantseem to find any threads about thus. What are some of the policies from different California Academies about taking a day off for a special occasion you don't have any control over? For example: a sibling will be getting married while you are in the academy?

In most cases -------------it had better be on your day off or you will not be attending
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

At the academy I went to, the only times you were allowed to miss any class was for the birth of your own child, a death in immediate family, or for a job-related interview.

Looks like you'll be missing the wedding.

Comment

Better get used to missing special occasions. If you even make it through the academy, that's your life for the next 25 years

You will miss weddings, births, christenings, bar mitzvahs, holidays, birthdays and anniversaries. You may get off for a death if it's immediate family, mom, dad, spouse, child, grandparents....anyone else is iffy.

Comment

You can ask but if the instruction that day is mandatory training, you can't miss it. Don't be surprised if the answer is no. Maybe the sibling should get married on your day off.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopshopcop View Post
            Better get used to missing special occasions. If you even make it through the academy, that's your life for the next 25 years

You will miss weddings, births, christenings, bar mitzvahs, holidays, birthdays and anniversaries. You may get off for a death if it's immediate family, mom, dad, spouse, child, grandparents....anyone else is iffy.
            Exactly the above. Chopshopcop is 100% correct, and couldn't be closer to the truth.
            Life is a pretty lame game, but at least it has good graphics.

It's simple, if it jiggles, it's fat. -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

What do live in academies do for a holiday like Christmas or New Years?
              Criminals are dumb, otherwise we wouldn't have a job.

Comment

Originally posted by JBadge View Post
                Most have the week off.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Peacemaker54 View Post
                  Hello,

It depends on the academy and POST policies, and what is going on that day. While limited excused absences are sometimes approved- you will be expected to make up what you missed. Sometimes this isn’t possible and you will have to make a choice.

Welcome to a profession where you will certainly be missing birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, parties and so on. For my first five years OTJ I never had a sit down Thanksgiving, missed more than my share of special events and rang in the New Years pushing a marked unit down the boulevard.

When I went through a municipal academy XX years ago they highlighted what days were absolutely NO MISS days (high liability such as the range, DT’s, driving and such). If you missed one of those days you failed to meet the mandated minimum hours for the respective subject area, and if there was not a trailing class that you could piggyback with to make it up- you were gone. With FLETC you could miss days under a similar rubric.

In the end you will need to consult with the academy in question to 1st see if you can be excused from that day and 2nd if you will be able to make up any required training.

Originally posted by JBadge View Post
                  Most times is a no training day and the schedule is adjusted accordingly. You get the day off.
                  Originally posted by SSD
                  It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                  Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                  And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I think you're taking a big risk by even asking for a day off for something like a wedding, unless your academy has a standardized procedure for leave requests during the academy.

On the job, you may "miss" some holidays, but it's not really that bad. Take Christmas for example, if you work night shift, you'll be there for Christmas morning. If you work a day shift, you're there for Christmas eve. Same with Thanksgiving.. you can adjust dinner to be earlier or later if it's that important to you. For something like a wedding, you should get enough notice that you can request the day off months in advance.

But here's the best part about being a cop.. it's a built in excuse for missing occasions/events that you don't really want to attend. We're probably horrible people, but my wife and I use my job as an excuse to get out of all sorts of stupid sh*t we don't want to go to.
                    "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
                      On the job, you may "miss" some holidays, but it's not really that bad. Take Christmas for example, if you work night shift, you'll be there for Christmas morning. If you work a day shift, you're there for Christmas eve. Same with Thanksgiving.. you can adjust dinner to be earlier or later if it's that important to you. .
                      Unless, like me for many years, your family was 200 or more miles away (as the crow flies).

Until I got married and started my own family I missed out on about 7 yrs of "family stuff" at holiday time

Comment

Because of seniority, I didn't start seeing Christmas and other holidays (unless they were RDO's) until about the 14 yr mark. I worked auto theft longer than any other investigator but because of seniority and our bid system, I never rose higher than halfway up the seniority list. 16 yrs spent in investigations and was always junior to people I was training, brand new detectives with more time overall but newly promoted .Toward the end, the last 5 yrs or so, I had accumulated enough sick time and comp time to pretty much overcome those issues and still get off when I wanted. But I missed a crap ton of important events during those years

Comment

If I were you I would forget about the wedding, and I definetly wouldn't have the audacity to ask my academy instructors for any time off unless someone in my family died. It would almost be the equivalent of a military recruit asking for a day off in the middle of boot camp....almost.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly Bill View Post
                            It would almost be the equivalent of a military recruit asking for a day off in the middle of boot camp....almost.
                            Is that frowned upon?..
                            "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                              Unless, like me for many years, your family was 200 or more miles away (as the crow flies).

Until I got married and started my own family I missed out on about 7 yrs of "family stuff" at holiday time
                              Yeah, that's true. I started police a little on the late side, so I was already starting my own family. Also, I live near my parents and most of the family.

Incidentally, Thanksgiving is the only one I really regret missing at times. I like getting to make a whole day of Thanksgiving.. eat multiple meals, be lazy, and watch all the football games.. oh! and have some drinks before/during/after dinner. Last Thanksgiving, I actually got to eat but had to be at work later that evening so had to pass on the alcohol.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10252 users online. 453 members and 9799 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X