300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth the expense?

From what I've read from my local "Police Academies", it sure is not cheap to earn your ACT120! Is it really worth it and if I should successfully graduate from the academy in today's world, are my chances of being hired by surrounding departments that ensuring? Why are some academies so much more expensive than others?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if one earns their ACT 120 in PA they can apply anywhere in the U.S. for local/municipal departments...?

Thank you...

Originally posted by Bop23 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if one earns their ACT 120 in PA they can apply anywhere in the U.S. for local/municipal departments...?

Thank you...
    you are not correct.

I guess I should expand............................You can APPLY anywhere in the US any time you want

but your Pennsylvania ACT 120 would only count as an academy training in Pennsylvania & would be worthless every place else in the county
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

From what I've read from my local "Police Academies", it sure is not cheap to earn your ACT120! Is it really worth it and if I should successfully graduate from the academy in today's world, are my chances of being hired by surrounding departments that ensuring? Why are some academies so much more expensive than others?

Thank you...
      1) Each state has its own laws and case law and their own academy requirements. Having academy credentials in one state won't hurt you but will not count in another. BTW, even being state certified within Colorado won't mean that an individual agency won't have you attend their own academy, either.

2) Once upon a time, many moons ago, I was in your shoes. The economy was bad, cop jobs were at a premium with 100's of applicants for single-job opportunities. I decided to pay my way through the CLETA program w/o a job offer. That money out-of-pocket got me certifiable (not the crazy kind) and also got me the contacts to apply and get hired with an agency. I don't know if getting your ACT120 will get you hired but sitting around watching the world pass you by and moaning about it sure won't. Remember, the bigger the crowd the more you need to shine to stand out. Good luck.
      Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
      “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
      “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
      "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
      ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

In Alabama, your ACT 120 Certificate" might" allow you to "challenge" the Alabama POST written certification exam. It is NOT as you've been correctly advised, a certification good nationwide.

Some states, and the key word here is "some" will recognize out of state certification on a reciprocal basis.

With respect to your particular situation in Pennsylvania, I would suggest you do some research. Look into agencies which are either hiring, or anticipate hiring in the near future. Keep in mind that self-sponsor at an academy is often a 'crap-shoot'.

We've done numerous and in-depth studies on this subject, so take a look at the Search Function. There is a wealth of information there.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          In Alabama, your ACT 120 Certificate" might" allow you to "challenge" the Alabama POST written certification exam. It is NOT as you've been correctly advised, a certification good nationwide.

Some states, and the key word here is "some" will recognize out of state certification on a reciprocal basis.
          Most will require at the minimum of 1 yr of FULL TIME police experience----(and usually more like 3 yrs) in order to challenge their P.O.S.T.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            Most will require at the minimum of 1 yr of FULL TIME police experience----(and usually more like 3 yrs) in order to challenge their P.O.S.T.
            ya most times its like a lateral transfer not an entry level opening
            sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Thank you...
              I recently graduated from an Act 120 academy and personally I don't regret it, but I do see pros and cons. In PA there's really only the State police and a couple cities that have their own academies, but the testing is long and extensive. Those are great ways to go and theyve been hiring alot but If you want to work in any municipality, township or borough you'll need your Act 120 and most won't pay for you to attend the academy. The downfall is that the self sponsored academies turn out a lot of graduates with a market that doesn't hire a lot and is primarily part-time. Some of my fellow cadets found jobs right away, some of us are still looking, so its hit or miss. I did full-time which was expensive and I went 4-5 months without being able to work but some academies offer part-time training which is 11 months/3 days a week so you could still work.

As for the Act 120 in other states, it depends really on the state but as the others have stated its not an automatic pass in any place any where. DE, MD, and FL are some I know that have some departments that will accept Act 120. Usually you just have to attend their academy for a couple weeks to learn state laws. Actually at our academy we had multiple departments from out of state that scouted and even offered PT testing/interviews at our academy. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

EDIT: Sorry VA might not accept it.
              Last edited by pittguy1984; 08-22-2013, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Absolutely true, and thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Some SMALLER agencies in MD MIGHT take ACT120 as "lateral", and even then you will have to do the full rotation on FTO and take comparative compliance classes. Some may still require at least a year (or more) experience. Just because you have the cert doesn't mean you have the skills to back it up to be a lateral.

Perryville and Port Deposit PDs at one point MAY have.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Alabama has a 10 point scale that combined experience, previous academies, and college education. When I moved to AL I scored 8 points and had to go through a POST academy. Below is the link, read RULE 650-X-4-.03.

http://www.apostc.state.al.us/APOSTC...3/Default.aspx
                    1*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6374 users online. 274 members and 6100 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X