300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last leg before graduation.

18 more calender days before graduation, this week being the last 'test' before we start going through the 'formality' classes like NCIC, E-tix and some admin work. What do you seasoned officers remember doing to get ready to hit the streets? I'll be on FTO for 3-4 months, but is it overwhelming at first or does suddenly everything you learned in the academy make sense once you get out there and start putting it all together?
    Serving Anne Arundel County since 2005

Originally posted by Ransom View Post
    but is it overwhelming at first or does suddenly everything you learned in the academy make sense once you get out there and start putting it all together?
    your head will be swimming for the first 2 months....................then it will get worse the first month you are out on your own
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 08-18-2013, 06:04 PM.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Ransom View Post
      or does suddenly everything you learned in the academy make sense once you get out there and start putting it all together?
      Hahahahahaha!! Officer safety and don't get discouraged. Let the rest just take its course. It's a very steep learning curve. Your FTO will probably call you an idiot at some point (as I'm sure they were called an idiot when they were on FTO).

One of the FTOs on my current shift told the story about when he was on FTO and he took a turn too fast, causing his FTO to spill hot coffee all over his lap. See if you can top that one.
      "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
        Hahahahahaha!! Officer safety and don't get discouraged. Let the rest just take its course. It's a very steep learning curve. Your FTO will probably call you an idiot at some point (as I'm sure they were called an idiot when they were on FTO).

One of the FTOs on my current shift told the story about when he was on FTO and he took a turn too fast, causing his FTO to spill hot coffee all over his lap. See if you can top that one.
        Probably not but here's mine....20 plus years old. FTO was not yet invented, we had senior partners. My SP finally decided I was ready to drive. We set up on a heavily traveled portion of a major city street (midnights) and I was running radar. Been there maybe 3 minutes, first one down the chute was a 60 in a 45 and I lit him up.

He runs and when I call it in, the vehicle is a verified stolen. Course, he ain't stoppin' and hits the interstate so we're going balls to the wall. We were in a 89 Dodge Diplomat and he's in a POS Chevy; I was dead on his *** the whole time. He juked right and then took a hard left across three lanes onto an exit to an interstate spur, I was going far too fast to make the exit. I locked the brakes trying to make the exit and the Dip tracked like a damn missile straight into the exit sign.

I took out the right leg of the sign and sent that sucker flying. The sign teetered for a few seconds on the remaining leg (even now I can see it, seems like it took forever) and then crashed down across the hood of the car. Sam Cooper Boulevard, white lettering on a green reflective sign, is forever burned into my memory. "Get the *** outa here" my SP screamed and I threw it in reverse and continued the chase.

I caught up to the runner (me and SP laughing hysterically by now), he blew a tire somehow and was running on the rim. We chased him into a residential neighborhood, he blew a second tire and bailed. Out on foot, we went over a chain link fence, I ran smack into a German Shepard and got bit; BG gets away. Bleeding and thoroughly ashamed, I go back to the car, there's a 3 foot long scratch across the hood where the sign landed.

I'm still on probation and knowing that I'm gonna get fired. I've ****ed up a car, let a felon get away and destroyed state property. Fortunately, my partner had a solution. We hit every 7-11 in our ward and a couple of neighboring wards and bought every damn bottle of whiteout we could find. We covered the scratch with whiteout and swore a vow of silence. Only now, 25 years later, have I violated that trust.

Comment

^ Wow!! Definitely the good ol' days.
          "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
            ^ Wow!! Definitely the good ol' days.
            My "FTO" consisted of 4 hrs of the Chief Deputy riding with me one night about a month after I hit the road.

There are still stories that I won't tell.................35 yrs later
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

as soon as i hit the street, it was like i suddenly forgot most of what i learned, after a while it came back and some stuff i need to keep going over in order for it to click.
              sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Chopshopcop View Post
                We hit every 7-11 in our ward and a couple of neighboring wards and bought every damn bottle of whiteout we could find. We covered the scratch with whiteout and swore a vow of silence. Only now, 25 years later, have I violated that trust.
                TheLightPole.jpg

Comment

Try to keep things simple in the begging. After you arrive on a call ask he following questions:
                  1- Has a crime occurred and what crime was it?
                  2- Did it occur in my jurisdiction?
                  3 Does the victim want to pursue charges (unless it's something like a DV that you may be forced to arrest)
                  4 Is it just a big civil cluster? Ask them what they would like the police to do for them. Tell people that they need to get along or you'll be back and someone will be going to jail.....then leave

Comment

Its finally here folks! I'm walking across the stage tomorrow and couldn't be happier with my decision.
                    Serving Anne Arundel County since 2005

Comment

congrats man
                      sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Damn I'm on a 2 years now but I still remember knowing Nothing and the first time I drove. Pulled over a car and for some reason after asking for her license and registration I went into WTF do I say or do next LOL OMG I will never forget that. I was grasping for straws. Best thing my FTO could have done was nothing. He let me work myself out of my jam. Mind you I am never short for words etc. lol

I still run into situations where I am calling someone from the cell for advice or help. I'm comfortable with a lot but I am still new enough to know these old timers have many tricks that I haven't learned or mastered yet. My point don't sweat it.
                        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                          My "FTO" consisted of 4 hrs of the Chief Deputy riding with me one night about a month after I hit the road.

There are still stories that I won't tell.................35 yrs later
                          Memories....memories.

Ransom
                          I feel you're place so much....I wish you the best and keep a clear head. You'll have lots to learn and prove but you'll do fine, believe in yourself and THINK......before you act.

You are joining a 200,000+ club....do us proud and remember that the calls where no one else is around to see or appraise are the ones that COUNT. Good luck.
                          Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                          “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                          “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                          "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                          ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9283 users online. 460 members and 8823 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X