300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin PD Academy video series

I figured this would be the best place to post this for anyone who wants to watch. I think there is supposed to be a new episode every Friday, for a total of 8 or something. They'll all be on the same Youtube channel. I'll just post the first one, and anyone who wants to watch more can just subscribe to the channel or whatever.

Watching this first video certainly brought back memories. Some of the same instructors that were there over 2 years ago when I went through. Never thought I'd be nostalgic about that time, but I gotta admit I miss that place a little.
    "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Is the Academy like that at most Academies? I'm not worried, being a prospective applicant, but the physical tests here in Anchorage seem terribly easy and put me under the impression it would be more "high school gym class" than "military boot camp." Don't get me wrong, I definitely know what happens when you assume, but personally, I am very strong mentally and, if given the opportunity, feel I would have little difficulty with the Academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle_thilmany View Post
      but the physical tests here in Anchorage seem terribly easy
      Tests to ENTER police work (both written and physical) measure your ability to START the course of instruction.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Is the Academy like that at most Academies? I'm not worried, being a prospective applicant, but the physical tests here in Anchorage seem terribly easy and put me under the impression it would be more "high school gym class" than "military boot camp." Don't get me wrong, I definitely know what happens when you assume, but personally, I am very strong mentally and, if given the opportunity, feel I would have little difficulty with the Academy.
        I think it would be impossible to say what "most" academies are like. Academies vary. Some lean more towards acedemics as the primary focus, some lean more towards physical fitness, some lean more towards tactical techniques. I can only guess - but my guess would be that it depends a lot on the area. Austin, TX needs more physically fit officers than say, Greenville, AL. I would imagine that academies differ based on geographic and demographic need.

Something though caught my attention though in your comment -- "if given the opportunity, feel I would have little difficulty with the Academy." In my humble opinion - I think that is a dangerous mindset. Something I learned on shock day at MCRD Paris Island - instructors that truly want to make you the best you can be will find your weakness and grind on it until you "fail". I quote that word because discovering the limits of a weakness is not failing, it is becoming stronger. If you go in with the attitude that you will have little difficulty, it is going to make your recovery so much harder when they find that weakness. While I would guess most academies are NOT like USMC Basic Training, that lesson I believe still holds true. And if at the end of the academy you look back and realize that maybe you never were pushed to your limits - then you better do it yourself because you have GOT to know the difference between not wanting to go further and not being able to go further.

Comment

Generally speaking, the PT tests for entrance and exit are easier than the day to day smoke sessions. The point is not to be able to complete a full length triathlon. The point is really something called "stress inoculation." Physical exertion combined with people yelling at you. It's the best way to simulate some of the worst real world police situations and weed out the quitters.

Other than that, it really depends on the academy. Austin PD is somewhat "boot camp" style, except you go home at the end of the day. Texas DPS on the other hand is a residential academy so your *** belongs to the instructors 24/7. Texas DPS is much more "boot camp" than APD.
          "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Thank you for all of the reply's, it was quite insightful. I look forward to being pushed to a level that I haven't been before both physically and mentally.

Comment

I was slotted to do the PT and board this week with Austin PD but after talking to a few officers I decided not to continue in the process. Austin seems WAY to bureaucratic and liberal for me. After spending a few years in the intel world I want a different environment. I understand that to an extent ANY agency will have to deal with some of that but I just get the vibe that in APD, it would be too much. Still working on San Antonio PD and TX DPS.

Also, the cost of living in Austin to me seems like it balances their great pay with other far more LEO friendly cities.

With that said, I'm sure its still a great department for lots of officers and every time I was in town I never found anything bad to say about their officers. Great folks, just not for me

Comment

Are you currently an officer looking to lateral out to a new place or looking for entry level police position?

I would recommend if you are just looking to get your foot in the door and break into LE to not turn any opportunity down. Several officers from my department have recently lateraled to APD from our large department here in NC.

It seems they are hiring extensively right now entry level and lateral unlike a lot of places nationwide.

Good luck

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11464 users online. 396 members and 11068 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X