300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Application

I'm currently applying to a local Police Academy and have a question about the application...

- QUESTION: "Have I ever, as an adult or juvenile, been arrested, charged, convicted, plead guilty or nolo contendere to any offense other than a minor traffic violation? YES or NO"
    * If a DUI conviction in the state of PA happened 10+ years back and has since been successfully expunged, does the applicant still need to check "Yes" for the question?

All comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Yes. If you submit the packet and they see the arrest, you can pretty much kiss your chances of employment there goodbye.

Comment

Originally posted by Bop23 View Post
      I'm currently applying to a local Police Academy and have a question about the application...

- QUESTION: "Have I ever, as an adult or juvenile, been arrested, charged, convicted, plead guilty or nolo contendere to any offense other than a minor traffic violation? YES or NO"
      * If a DUI conviction in the state of PA happened 10+ years back and has since been successfully expunged, does the applicant still need to check "Yes" for the question?

Answer the question. Have you EVER (as in since the moment of inception until this moment) been arrested, charged, convicted, plead guilty or nolo contendere to any offense other than a minor traffic violation?

Comment

Short of the long: YES, you must list it- even if “expunged”.

Long of the long: In LE there is no such thing as expunged, sealed, set aside or the like. While there are certainly cases where a previous criminal act will be so redacted and removed that even I can’t find it, but that is NOT what the questions will ask- they will specifically ask: “have you EVER…” and it will not qualify mitigating circumstances. Yes, they may well take into consideration cases where a criminal charge was closed out, but failing to disclose is a dead end.

You will also want to clarify the type of DUI conviction you received and what section of law you violated- if it was your 1st and .08 to .10 BAC, you generally get hit with an Ungraded Misdemeanor, mandatory 6 months probation, a fine of $300.00, AHSS but usually do not suffer from a license suspension. Second, 3rd and aggravating circumstances are different though.

That said- a DUI does not look good for an applicant. Mitigating circumstances include time since the violation, successful treatment, no recidivism and otherwise a clean slate.

See: http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/cons/grou...orm/000342.pdf

and http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/legislation/dui.shtml
        Originally posted by SSD
        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I am not going to beat a dead horse.........................

Read the above answers and heed them to the letter
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Theres a reason why background don't ask "Have you ever had an arrest record sealed/expunged? YES or NO?"

Reason is, if you were convicted and had it expunged then at some point you had to have been arrested, unless it was a DUI they sent to you in the mail?
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Yes. The arrest, and it was an arrest MUST be disclosed. In a police background investigation, there is no such thing as an Expungement. Background Investigators routinely and typically access records which have been sealed, set aside or expunged.

Comment

the question says ever.... so of course the answer is yes, no matter the diposition or outcome of it.
                sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8952 users online. 292 members and 8660 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X