300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Police Academy

I was hoping I could some perspectives from people who are already officers within a Police Department. I currently live in Michigan and have been going through the process for a Department in Texas, this afternoon I was contacted by my background investigator saying that I had finished that step and I would be going down for the final step. I was told that there is a police academy starting August 10th, I had asked when the next one was starting at was told September 25th, my question is as follows, is it generally looked down upon if I were to request the September start date? Thank you for any help you are able to provide!

I would not request a delayed start date.. to me it sends the wrong message (that is unless there is a family/medical reason for the delay). This is just my personal opinion but if I was in selection and someone requested a later start date, and there was not a legitimate reason for it, I would wonder how dedicated they were and how bad they wanted the position. Again, just my opinion though.
    "It is not how these officers died that makes them heroes -- It is how they lived." - Vivian A. Eney

Comment

Originally posted by Runout24 View Post
      I was hoping I could some perspectives from people who are already officers within a Police Department. I currently live in Michigan and have been going through the process for a Department in Texas, this afternoon I was contacted by my background investigator saying that I had finished that step and I would be going down for the final step. I was told that there is a police academy starting August 10th, I had asked when the next one was starting at was told September 25th, my question is as follows, is it generally looked down upon if I were to request the September start date? Thank you for any help you are able to provide!
      Depends. Do you have a compelling reason why you can not make the academy date as offered?
      That asked- you have not yet been offered a start date nor guaranteed a seat in the academy. While I appreciate your question for what it is, it is still somewhat premature.

That said- I trust you have plans to drop 2-week notice at your current employer, have already made arrangements to terminate your lease and have a place to hang your hat in Texas on tap. It is now August 7, 2013 as I type this ya know. This leaves you 3 days to get to Texas.

Remember this- there are few guarantees in life and more so in the life that is a candidate. Sometimes it is better to take what is available provided you are entering into it with full commitment and attention. While not a certain, it would seem that unless you get kicked in the last stage with this department you are on tap to start the academy in a matter of days. It may well happen- I see it all the time and you should be ready to launch or risk not and then having no academy in September.

And for what its worth- rely less on what we think. Our is conjecture and supposition- your is decision point and action.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Unless you have something extremely important that can't wait, accept the date you're offered and make it work. You may not get another offer and won't forgive yourself for passing that one up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8415 users online. 277 members and 8138 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X