300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for shooting shotgun slugs?

Im in week 11 of the academy and our first range qualification is in a week. Im strggling with shooting shotgun slugs from 50 yards. Any tips to help my accuracy?

You ever go dove hunting? Hold the gun what comes natural to you. When I was in, they told us to have a GOOD cheek weld, well, that ended up with me having a sore-***** right cheek. I actually shot better with a little more relaxed stance and relaxed shoulders. SPEAK WITH YOUR RANGE INSTRUCTOR. They can see what is going wrong and give you an opinion on what the issue is.
    Ask them, Tell them, Make them.

Comment

Don't shoot 3" magnum shells.
      I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rev2DSThope View Post
        Im in week 11 of the academy and our first range qualification is in a week. Im strggling with shooting shotgun slugs from 50 yards. Any tips to help my accuracy?
        Make sure you have a good cheek weld.....either keep BOTH eyes open, or aim with the same 'side' eye that you are shouldering the gun on.......make sure you are focusing on the FRONT SIGHT and not the target.....dont smash the trigger.....aim about 'belt line' on the target....
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Everything above is all you need. I would just add something my range instructor said to me to help my mindset.

"Own the recoil, don't let it own you."

Good luck.
          Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
          “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
          “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
          "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
          ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Alot of people I have seen have trouble with the sight picture if they just have a bead sight. Not sure what you have but if you have a bead sight only the bead needs to be covered mostly by the barrel or you will consistently hit high.

Comment

You have no idea how JEALOUS I am that you will be doing that AND getting paid....I LOVE the shotgun! I hope if I make it to Academy they do shotgun training...YEEEAAAHH!

Comment

Originally posted by beavisusmc View Post
                You have no idea how JEALOUS I am that you will be doing that AND getting paid....I LOVE the shotgun! I hope if I make it to Academy they do shotgun training...YEEEAAAHH!
                A lot of agencies are going away from the shot gun and using only a patrol rifle
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

What is a patrol rifle? M4? Why not have both?

Comment

ok....................there you go questioning why.

its because the chief says so.................

Like I said MANY agencies are going away from the shotgun in favor of a patrol rifle....yes an AR-15 variant in most places
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

As Iowa posted......in some areas its because the Chief/Sheriff says so.....

In others, it is a $$$$$$ decision.....limited training budget for weapons that are mandated to be qualified with xx number of times per year, per officer......that can add up quickly.

We carry and train with both.....you will receive basic shotgun training in the academy (which is, I think, still a POST requirement here in CA...we still do it, and we make all of the 'outside' agency recruits coming through our academy do it as well).....M4 training is done for in service Deputies/Sgts.....you are supposed to go every year, but it rarely happens that way
                      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                        As Iowa posted......in some areas its because the Chief/Sheriff says so.....

In others, it is a $$$$$$ decision.....limited training budget for weapons that are mandated to be qualified with xx number of times per year, per officer......that can add up quickly.

We carry and train with both.....you will receive basic shotgun training in the academy (which is, I think, still a POST requirement here in CA...we still do it, and we make all of the 'outside' agency recruits coming through our academy do it as well).....M4 training is done for in service Deputies/Sgts.....you are supposed to go every year, but it rarely happens that way
                        And the reason is because of options, OP. Would you go to a store that only sold a certain brand of a product? Shotties work great in some situations, rifles work better in others and vice versa. We will start qualifying rifles at my agency starting this year. (Thank God)
                        Ask them, Tell them, Make them.

Comment

OK, I can see that a rifle would probably be better in a rural setting. I couldn't imagine too many situations where we would need them here other than for S.W.A.T. They really couldv'e used some in that famous L.A. bank robbery shootout but they had NONE and how often does that happen.

Comment

OK, I can see that a rifle would probably be better in a rural setting. I couldn't imagine too many situations where we would need them here other than for S.W.A.T. They really couldv'e used some in that famous L.A. bank robbery shootout but they had NONE and how often does that happen.
                            Shotgun slugs would have ended that incident quickly.....BUT, the lowly LAPD patrol officers were NOT allowed to carry them at the time....only the field supervisors could have them

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                              Shotgun slugs would have ended that incident quickly.....BUT, the lowly LAPD patrol officers were NOT allowed to carry them at the time....only the field supervisors could have them
                              Well even now LAPD hardly allows the use of slugs. Unless you buy your own shotgun off their approved list and then go to the slug class. After doing that your are allowed to use slugs. My brother-inlaw had to do all of that.
                              I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7414 users online. 353 members and 7061 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X