Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you wished you would have brought to the academy with you ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyCVet View Post
    If he was in the Army when the Army had ACUs, then he'd have ACBs, which could not be shined. Further, he'd have ACUs, which you were not supposed to iron. So by not ironing and not shining, it's not really that big of a deal (since you couldn't do it).
    Exactly. If PEO Soldier and Natick decided to issue no starch no iron ACUs and suede finished boots, what was the guy supposed to do - iron and shine them anyways? I cleaned more toilets at OCS than most privates do. I didn't miss anything by not having to iron my uniform - the decision NOT to do so was WAY above my pay grade.

Comment

Originally posted by polizei1 View Post
      I can't believe people still shine boots. I never did it in the military, sure as hell not going to do it in LE.

Why don't you just get coraframs?
      Because coraframs are for people who can't shine shoes.

Comment

I'll add a small sewing kit (you can get one at a grocery store or a dollar store for a few bucks), some band-aids, OTC pain medication, some hot packs and/or a tube of heat rubbing cream, maybe a cold pack or two... If you are allowed, some trail mix and energy bars.

Comment

Wet wipes. The wal mart brand that ISN'T "cloth" will be better, it won't leave lint when you have to wipe out an oh-crap stain or spot from a darker shirt.

A lint roller brush. If anything you're wearing is anything other than white or gray, you will need and use a lint roller brush. I'm using 2-3 sheets off of mine daily (black shirts that are magnets for EVERYTHING).

Extra pens, pencils, highlighters, and those tiny post-it notes that are good for bookmarking pages. I'm using TONS of those in the GA code book. TONS.
          ~Sunny

>>Ephesians 6:13<<

Comment

Bring an old t-shirt and pair of shorts for OC day; you will just want to throw them away.

Oh and on that day do not take off the undies before you get in the shower. It will run down to a not so pleasant area.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperion View Post
              That is like bragging that you never PMCS'd your vehicle, cleaned your weapon, or worked out.
              No, it's not. Not doing PMC's are just stupid, not shining your shoes because you don't have it, is brilliant.

Originally posted by TonyCVet View Post
              If he was in the Army when the Army had ACUs, then he'd have ACBs, which could not be shined. Further, he'd have ACUs, which you were not supposed to iron. So by not ironing and not shining, it's not really that big of a deal (since you couldn't do it).
              I was not in the Army, but same principal. I was issued coraframs and my field uniform could be ironed (wasn't required), however no starch was to be used, and the boots were certainly not shine- able.

Originally posted by just joe View Post
              Because coraframs are for people who can't shine shoes.
              Coraframs were issued, so you're saying there's an entire military branch (if not all of them) that can't shine shoes, because they are issued coraframs? Wow, ok. Maybe they are issued because they look more professional, more effective, and less maintenance?

If you served during the time of black boots, shining them is understandable. Now a days, boots are suede and colored, you can't shine something that's green or tan...
              Last edited by polizei1; 08-17-2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

If you served during the time of black boots, shining them is understandable. Now a days, boots are suede and colored, you can't shine something that's green or tan...
                You're missing the point.

Obviously if you can't do it you can't.... the US military has moved away from uniforms which require much care... BUT by being unable to do so, by not having that responsibility, something is lost.

The requirement to iron and starch uniforms, polish boots, shine brass and so forth was an important aspect of training young troops in self discipline and personal responsibility. Nothing has replaced that, so that training is lost.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I beg to differ, I had a tremendous amount of fun via a can of Brasso...

I agree that the discipline has been lost, but IMHO, that's completely up to the individual officer. I prefer to serve next to officers that have a military background, and that is a large reason why.
                  Last edited by polizei1; 08-18-2013, 01:16 AM.

Comment

I agree that the discipline has been lost, but IMHO, that's completely up to the individual officer. I prefer to serve next to officers that have a military background, and that is a large reason why.

You would have saved some time to iron your uniform if you had just used never dull or brass wet wipes.

Comment

Now you are just being silly. I've been doing this 28 years and veterans are not inherently better police officers than non-veterans. There are plenty of vets who were and are slackers. In addition, more than one vet has been released from probation because they thought they knew more than their FTO and forgot that they were actually in training to learn what they didn't know.

Comment

I can't believe people still shine boots. I never did it in the military, sure as hell not going to do it in LE.

Why don't you just get coraframs?
                        While coraframs are easier I would suggest leather. While I was in the Marine Corps I used leather and it lasted me A LOT longer as well as a truer shine. Not only that but it really shows a persons character and their attention to detail. Leather shoes are like. Bleaching your teeth brings sparkle, however, brushing your teeth, flossing, and mouth wash brings you shine!
                        Last edited by Saudade; 08-30-2013, 10:21 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7094 users online. 227 members and 6867 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X