Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you wished you would have brought to the academy with you ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you wished you would have brought to the academy with you ?

Well surprise surprise another "what should I bring to the academy?" thread.

I have a packing list of things to bring and I have everything on the list good to go, but I am curious. Is there anything you wished you would have brought to the academy with you ? I have my states criminal and traffic code pocket press books, but that's all ive thought of other than the basic packing list which includes simple things like:

At least two pairs of uniform pants
    PT clothes
    Running shoes
    Polish-able boots
    Duty belt with inner belt and keepers
    Various pouches and duty equipment
    Under clothing
    Personal hygiene products
    and basic things that a typical school goer would have (Pens note books ect..)

Have any of you all found things during or after the academy you wished you had bought from the git go ? Or things you have stumbled upon that could help me ? Or maybe kind of habits that you have that are out side of the normal that benefited you while at the academy ?

Gold bonds.... Chaffing is beotch....

Good luck!!
    Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none - William Shakespeare
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.- James Mattis
    It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. - Lt. Gen. George S. Patton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cFL80PN3wA&sns=em

Comment

If you're wearing boots all day that are closed off and your feet sweat, Tinactin powder works very well. Put some in each sock and some in the boots everyday, it'll help keep them "fresh" and your feet will thank you.

It sounds like you're going to be at a stay-there academy, if so I would also bring shower shoes. IE > cheap flip flops you can throw away.

Comment

I'm sure you'll have the same standard of keeping your boots polished that we did. I learned quickly to keep my Kiwi/rag in my gear bag and fix scuffs during breaks. You don't want to be that guy with jacked up boots. I didn't even polish mine in the morning until I got there because I inevitably scuffed them getting in/out of my car.

Comment

I can't believe people still shine boots. I never did it in the military, sure as hell not going to do it in LE.

Why don't you just get coraframs?

Comment

It is a live in academy.

Thanks for the tips so far, I have already pick up new idea from dc140 that I will pass on to the others going from my agency

I have never heard the tinactin thing before, but I will defiantly try it.

Comment

Originally posted by polizei1 View Post
              I can't believe people still shine boots. I never did it in the military, sure as hell not going to do it in LE.

we aren't allowed coraframs in the academy I have been accepted to.

Comment

...neither did you starch and iron your uniforms or do anything else of note to keep yourself squared away except possibly shave and go to the barber once in a while.

You missed out on something important.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                  ...neither did you starch and iron your uniforms or do anything else of note to keep yourself squared away except possibly shave and go to the barber once in a while.

You missed out on something important.
                  You are very mistaken. But that's ok, you don't know me, so I can't fault you. I'm glad you know my military background and history though, and I'm especially impressed that you know what I looked like and how I kept my uniforms. Dang!

Comment

Wet wipes. Bought some after I could never get a shower after PT

Comment

You are very mistaken. But that's ok, you don't know me, so I can't fault you. I'm glad you know my military background and history though, and I'm especially impressed that you know what I looked like and how I kept my uniforms. Dang!
                      People ALWAYS say that. "You don't know me".

Yes, I do. I've seen thousands of you.

The notion that you're unique or special or different in any meaningful way is completely false. There have been millions of you gone before, and there will likely be millions after.

Ironing uniforms, polishing shoes, brass and boots teaches attention to detail and personal responsibility. Mowing lawns, cleaning latrines and other housekeeping details allow junior Soldiers to learn leadership and planning without risking something important or dangerous, but are also quite rare in most commands these days.

You stated you never ironed uniforms or polished shoes... so you DID miss that. It was something important, and you didn't get it.

Now I have to go polish my boots.
                      Last edited by tanksoldier; 08-01-2013, 12:55 AM.
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Elastic uniform shirt stays. They keep your uniform shirt tucked in.

Comment

That is like bragging that you never PMCS'd your vehicle, cleaned your weapon, or worked out.

Comment

Bring an iron and a mini ironing board. You'll be thankful you did, and be able to help out those who didn't. Also, if your academy is one of those that is really big on uniform inspections, one trick is to bring two pair of boots- one pair ready for inspection, and another for everyday wear.

As for the last part of your question, I found great benefit in using any extra free time (after studying and completing mandatory assignments) to get extra workouts in. PT tests were part of our overall grade, and a high score can helps bump the average in case you mess up a test or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperion View Post
                              That is like bragging that you never PMCS'd your vehicle, cleaned your weapon, or worked out.
                              If he was in the Army when the Army had ACUs, then he'd have ACBs, which could not be shined. Further, he'd have ACUs, which you were not supposed to iron. So by not ironing and not shining, it's not really that big of a deal (since you couldn't do it).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8747 users online. 218 members and 8529 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X