300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplies for academy

With the academy approaching in the next few months I was looking for some tips/advice on supplies and gear. Things like quality belts, shoes, class room supplies.

any advice/insight would be appreciated

As academies vary greatly from one to another, you should have been provided with a list including what you need, specifications and where to obtain the items. Sorry my answer was kind of vague, but it is what it is.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
      As academies vary greatly from one to another, you should have been provided with a list including what you need, specifications and where to obtain the items. Sorry my answer was kind of vague, but it is what it is.
      And it really is the only answer that can be given.

Your given academy should tell you what you will need and how many of each thing you will need. The best advice I will give on specific items is do not go cheap on your boots and socks. You will be on your feet a lot so a quality pair of boots and socks will benefit you greatly. I recommend something in the 8" variety. Better ankle support and more waterproofing.

Also a big pet peeve of mine during my stay at the academy was the overall care (or lack there of) some people put into their uniforms. Myself and several others had our uniforms tailored and IMO looked far better than some of the others who did not.

Other than that the only other advice for you is sit down, shut up and do as your told.
      This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Not sure if you have anything similar in Pennsylvania, but there's a private company here in Texas that publishes a book that breaks down all the elements of every offense in our Penal Code. Very useful when studying. Don't replace reading the statutes with anything you may find like it, but it was helpful in breaking down some of the longer, more involved offenses. It's been helpful during FTO, also.

Comment

Get yourself a shoe organizer that you can hang on your locker door. It is helpful to organize all your supplies and gear. It's good if you also have a mirror hanging in the locker to check your appearance also. It helps to buddy check each other's uniforms. Bring sandles to wear in the shower after PT.

If your belts must be shined, I recommend Meltonian Black and Super Shine sprays.

For shoes, it helps to have a pair of dress shoes/ oxfords for inspection days shined up and ready in addition to the ones you wear to class.

In the class room, bring multiple mechanical pencils. They will save you from having to get up and find a pencil sharpener during lectures and exams. Bring highlighters, pens, erasers, etc...
          Written & PQE - July 2006 Pass 85%
          PAT - August 2006 Pass
          Poly - November 2006 Pass
          Oral - December 2006 Pass
          BI - Cleared by the city of Los Angeles Jan 2007
          Med, written psych,PAT 2 - Jan 5, 2007 Passed
          Oral psych - Jan 8 2007, Pass
          Cert. & appointment - "Academy Certified"

Hired 9/7/07

Comment

I have this organizer in my locker and it's fantastic to have. It's definitely nice to make use of the inside of the door which saves a lot of space on the top shelf and bottom of the locker. The LE organizer is a bit pricey but it feels like quality material and I feel it will last me a long time.

lockerdog.com/

:::Current Status:::
            -Currently in the Regional Police Academy with an anticipated graduation date of 24 Feb 2014
            -Spent 10 months as a Deputy Sheriff-Custody before being accepted into the Regional Police Academy
            [[ Operation Enduring Freedom VII/VIII ]]

Comment

We were given an extensive list for our academy, and the only thing we didn't end up needing was a belt, as we were issued one upon arrival.
              ~Sunny

>>Ephesians 6:13<<

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post

^This is the best advice you will get^
                Originally posted by SSD
                It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by dc140 View Post
                  Not sure if you have anything similar in Pennsylvania, but there's a private company here in Texas that publishes a book that breaks down all the elements of every offense in our Penal Code. Very useful when studying. Don't replace reading the statutes with anything you may find like it, but it was helpful in breaking down some of the longer, more involved offenses. It's been helpful during FTO, also.
                  Hey whats the name of that book?

Comment

Originally posted by -Erik- View Post
                    The best advice I will give on specific items is do not go cheap on your boots and socks. You will be on your feet a lot so a quality pair of boots and socks will benefit you greatly. I recommend something in the 8" variety. Better ankle support and more waterproofing.
                    On this, if we already have a good pair of boots that are wonderfully broken in (from back before the AF switched to this green suede nonsense) and already have a good base shine on them, would bringing those be frowned upon?
                    Well that's, like, just my opinion, man.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePlainsman View Post
                      On this, if we already have a good pair of boots that are wonderfully broken in (from back before the AF switched to this green suede nonsense) and already have a good base shine on them, would bringing those be frowned upon?
                      As not us but the academy in question. They may well have a set of stringent rules – or they may care less what adorns your feet. Only they can tell you.
                      Originally posted by SSD
                      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7006 users online. 193 members and 6813 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X